Name this US city and related urban trivia!

Portlander

Reaction score
I thought it would be entertaining to start a thread that channels our passion for cities, buildings and downtown areas into a friendly trivia challenge. There are no rules but I think it would be fair if we kept the questions focused on cities located in the United States. I will kick it off with a name this city photo which can be a difficult task to find shots with no obvious signs or logos! I have been very fortunate to have traveled to 48 out of 50 states (missing NM and AK) and have explored the downtowns of all of the notable cities in each. One city with a population of less than 40K that I visited in the 90's totally blew me away with its skyline and downtown density when I was expecting something similar to Norwich, CT or Lewiston, ME. Clues provided upon request if needed. Good luck!
Downtown_Bartlesville_OK 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've visited about a thousand times since I was a kid. It's also home to Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper.......the Price Tower. I've stayed in the hotel when my niece got married next door at the Community Center.

I thought it would be entertaining to start a thread that channels our passion for cities, buildings and downtown areas into a friendly trivia challenge. There are no rules but I think it would be fair if we kept the questions focused on cities located in the United States. I will kick it off with a name this city photo which can be a difficult task to find shots with no obvious signs or logos! I have been very fortunate to have traveled to 48 out of 50 states (missing NM and AK) and have explored the downtowns of all of the notable cities in each. One city with a population of less than 40K that I visited in the 90's totally blew me away with its skyline and downtown density when I was expecting something similar to Norwich, CT or Lewiston, ME. Clues provided upon request if needed. Good luck!

I love the concept of this trivia thread, thank you for starting it! Just a friendly word of advice: don't name the photo file name with the name of the city ;). When I moused-over your image, "Downtown_Bartlesville_OK 2.jpg" appeared.

You are the man Java King! Talk about a city that is much larger than its population thanks to petroleum industry. I made sure I used a photo that did not have the Price Tower because someone who is into famous architects would have picked up on it right away. Thanks for the tip bigpicture7, my computer skills are average at best. :)

Okay, here's another example of a city with great bones and a minuscule population of only 16,000. Hopefully the name on the stores and the license plates are not recognizable (cheaters never win) and the city is located east of the Mississippi for a clue.
R.8c5bd9ba10eb12ef6067d1a48e9cbdf6 2.jpeg

Without doing any double checking I'm just going to guess Youngstown Ohio. No idea really.

Correct region DZH22, but Youngstown has an amazing collection of 12-18 story pre depression towers positioned around Central Square. I've always considered Youngstown to be a "little Pittsburgh" and it has suffered a major population decline (168K to 60K) over the past 60 years similar to most rust belt cities.

Can I answer if I guessed the state correctly then found a city with 16,000 people and confirmed it on Google street view?

Excellent kmp!

There are four cities in the US that have at least two towers greater than 220' downtown and a city population of LESS than 52,000 using the 2020 census. College campus dorms don't count along with ocean resorts like Myrtle Beach, Biloxi and Galveston that are infested with condo and hotel towers. Bartlesville, OK is one, Harrisburg, PA is another, name the other two?

Everyone is welcome to post a "name this city" photo or ask a trivia question, I can't keep coming up with this stuff forever and I want to play! :)

Last edited:
Nice choice! Hot Springs, Arkansas and the Medical Arts Building on the left was abandoned for decades and has received a new lease on life with conversion to apartments.

9665536652_dc7b5c632b_b 2.jpg

This WAS the largest city in the state for over 40 years and the current population has declined to 35K.

Last edited:
87469710_3210262489002352_1963541627620294656_o 2.jpg

Agricultural hub, has a dome and 98,000 inhabitants.

Last edited:
Nice choice! Hot Springs, Arkansas and the Medical Arts Building on the left was abandoned for decades and has received a new lease on life with conversion to apartments.

I just read the book “Hot Springs” on vacation this summer…

Back