Name this US city and related urban trivia!

This is the largest US metro area that isn't served by an interstate highway

1690749711875.png

1690749725791.png

And there has been efforts in recent years to possibly turn SR 99 into an interstate highway but the federal government has been slow to cooperate. I'm really surprised an interstate spur off I-5 into downtown Fresno has not been already built and I realize that 40 miles of four and six lane highway isn't cheap. Even Bangor has an interstate connector to whisk you into center city!

I-5 between Tracy and Bakersfield is pretty much entirely a through route; in 200 miles, there's only two municipalities over 10,000 (Los Banos at 45k and Patterson at 20k). Any traffic to/from north of Tracy or south of Bakersfield can use SR 99 to reach Fresno. While it looks like a big gap on a map, there's not really any need for an east-west expressway to Fresno.

View attachment 41003
Became the largest city in the state from 1980 through 1990 which really annoyed its slightly more urban competitor to the south! It appears that second biggest will have to due for this regional center of commerce and gateway to the vast outdoors. And if you believe in them, this one would be considered friendly.
That's a glowing description for Casper lol. It's obvious you have never spent much time in Wyoming.

But I have and the size and vitality of both Cheyenne and Casper accommodate the "city" needs for an extremely rural state and are similar to Burlington's economic impact to Vermont in my opinion.

While this is just considered a "village", with a population a bit North(east) of 13K, it's the birthplace of one of America's most recognizable companies. It was also known for an industry that Maine was also once known for - including the town where I went to HS, which the company (in Maine) was named after - Bonus question :)

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 10.42.19 AM.png

Last edited:
Speaking of Greenville, SC. The Woodside Building was built in 1923 and sadly demolished in 1974 and was the tallest tower (190') in the Carolinas for many decades.
Image 7-31-23 at 6.30 PM.jpg

Last edited:
While this is just considered a "village", with a population a bit North(east) of 13K, it's the birthplace of one of America's most recognizable companies. It was also known for an industry that Maine was also once known for - including the town where I went to HS, which the company (in Maine) was named after - Bonus question :)

View attachment 41030
I'm taking the easy part: the shoe industry, and you're from Dexter! But although I'm guessing that the pictured village is somewhere in New York (since they're the state that's most into "Villages," I have no idea where.

It's actually Endicott, NY which is part of Greater Binghamton and the birthplace of IBM. The Maine connection actually hindered the search process because shoes were made in a lot of northeast towns and cities back in the olden days. :)

Last edited:
Image 7-31-23 at 10.07 PM.jpg
Image 7-31-23 at 10.05 PM.jpg

This may be the best skyline of any city of 60,000 or less along with Charleston, SC and Harrisburg, PA. This city's building stock of 1910-1930 classic towers is impressive and it should be considering it's population once peaked at 170,000!

View attachment 41050View attachment 41051
This may be the best skyline of any city of 60,000 or less along with Charleston, SC and Harrisburg, PA. This city's building stock of 1910-1930 classic towers is impressive and it should be considering it's population once peaked at 170,000!
There isn't much looking very young in the pics of Youngstown...

The lack of no new office towers during the past century may have been beneficial to the upkeep and vacancy rates of Youngstown's older stock of high rises. The city has some great bones!

I'm taking the easy part: the shoe industry, and you're from Dexter! But although I'm guessing that the pictured village is somewhere in New York (since they're the state that's most into "Villages," I have no idea where.

Nice, yes - The same name clue probably too much ... Went to & graduated from HS in Dexter (but didn't live there - regional schools)

It's actually Endicott, NY which is part of Greater Binghamton and the birthplace of IBM. The Maine connection actually hindered the search process because shoes were made in a lot of northeast towns and cities back in the olden days. :)

Wow, you are good! Got a paycheck from Endicott when I worked for IBM for a short time - Was surprised how small it was, although I drove by many times on the way to the In-Laws.

The shoe industry there - Endicott Johnson Co. - Was once the largest in the world. It's history is pretty interesting, and ended up giving the town it's name, as well as the nickname "The Magic City"... which ironically was same nickname for Millinocket, where I was born ... for many of the same reasons... (it once had the largest paper making mill in the world) .. And it's industrial demise was similar, although geography vasty different (remote town vs. suburb, as Portlander mentioned)

Switching the game a bit...from "Name this City" to "Name This Airport"

This airport is just a bit smaller than PWM in terms of annual passengers. It was briefly a "Focus City" for Sun Country Airlines.

1690905340231.png

1690905380676.png

The airport kind of looks like Omaha, but I don't think it is.

Back