Name this US city and related urban trivia!

Huntsville! Although I likely would have guessed both Birmingham and Montgomery were more populous before fact-checking just now

(y) Which is why myself and many others do not put as much emphasis on actual city populations anymore, MSA counts are a better indicator of a city's clout. No one would think that Huntsville is bigger than Birmingham after spending 5 minutes in both.

1490809090_ecb5d120ce_b.jpg

A city that is truly centered, birthplace of a famous rapper and if I only had a pony . . . . . . . :)

Another clue: The double decked bridge portion of the Interstate (top left) will need to be demolished due to structural issues and to help unify the downtown proper with the riverfront.
R.8c167c40ec509fd13e20c4c95ba5db63.jpeg

Last edited:
In 2010 this university city had almost exactly the same population as Portland...in 2020 it was slightly larger

1661629058683.png

That would be Missoula, MT which has a more vibrant downtown than Billings which is much larger!

5f089c97ed46e.image 2.jpg

This railroad city has an impressive collection of high rises from the 1910's and 20's but no modern towers had been built downtown in almost 50 years.

Another clue: Had a nice run as the state's largest city prior to the advent of color photography.

Last edited:
Tough one, though the mid-west I would think. And on this subject of guessing which city, here's something fun: In the fall of 2021 I was on a midwestern tour and we visited Oklahoma City, Litte Rock, Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Minneapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Louisville, and Columbus. We stayed at least two nights in all of these places, and hit the town at night, so to speak. Which one was the most fun and happening? (The consensus from the group.) You might be surprised.

Been to them all TC, and from my experience I'd say Sioux Falls due to it's more compact restaurant and bar zone on Phillips Avenue. The city above is east of the Mississippi and was the largest city in the state for 50 years.

Been to them all TC, and from my experience I'd say Sioux Falls due to it's more compact restaurant and bar zone on Phillips Avenue. The city above is east of the Mississippi and was the largest city in the state for 50 years.
Impressive! You guessed it, Sioux Falls. Friendly people walking around at night with a great food and bar scene. Nice old and renovated hotel too (Phillips). And those falls are beautiful. 2nd place goes to Oklahoma City. Good arts and food scene. The worst? Surprisingly, not Detroit. It was Minneapolis! We were downtown staying at a boutique hotel (Autograph collection from Marriott), in what we thought was a nice part of downtown. The downtown was a ghost town, even during business hours. The front desk warned us to not walk on the streets after 9pm! If you remember, the police department at that time was, de facto, on vacation.

Ooh, I'd like to play. Full disclosure, this is a internet sourced image as my own photos would be far too obvious. The hint is: this city and state tops certain rankings, but is often forgotten in a corner.
49D995A0-582A-4FFF-AC2C-8CFFC0304164_1_105_c.jpeg

Nice, that was not an easy one! That leaves only two unanswered.

RGNNBLJ63FGDXH23YD6TSVK4G4 2.jpg

Thought I'd bring some life to this forgotten thread. This city of only 9,600 has an amazing skyline and dense downtown core which caught me off guard during a visit back in the 80's. Its population peaked in 1950 with 21,500 residents. It is located east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon line.
1493121352_9d1318b0ac_z 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've missed this thread!
Rail through the city center (maybe coal cars), population peak in the 50's with steady decline, in the southeast w/ smaller mountains nearby, and hilly so you build up due to density and lack of flat ground.
I did have to look up current West Virginia city populations to narrow it down.
My guess is Bluefield, WV.

Image 7-28-23 at 5.09 PM.jpg

Am surprised that no one has guessed this city yet.

Last edited:
Image 7-28-23 at 7.13 PM.jpg
Image 7-28-23 at 7.25 PM.jpg

This southwestern city of 26,000 has a 15 story, 170 foot tower in the center of downtown but it's main drag does not have another building that exceeds 3 floors. Quite possibly the rarest example of a small city having such a lofty edifice that is not a college dorm while the remainder of the skyline is as flat as the prairie.

Back