New ads?

to reiterate others' posts -- would it be possible to ask members (heh) to contribute some funds in order to avoid these ads? these ads suck.

well this definitely made me get an add blocker, no website has ever had such intrusive ads

So, I’m on mobile now and I don’t have an Adblock on my phone. Not seeing any of these ads. Are they still up?

So, I’m on mobile now and I don’t have an Adblock on my phone. Not seeing any of these ads. Are they still up?
Yes, they are, at least on the desktop version.

Pop-ups, too! Can't wait to get so sick of the ads that I never visit this site again.
Yeah, it's very annoying. An add at the bottom or top of the page is fine, adds mixed in with the content, roughly every third comment, is not fine. I might go the add blocker route, but I might also just go the Beton Brut route, since I'm not all that interested in my content being too overtly monetized (not that my content is all that valuable).

I didn’t get them yesterday but am getting them today. Must depend on some browser / log-in combination.

Does this answer your question?
5348C1A2-95A4-47A2-B64F-741306EBAA0C.png

At the very least, the pop-up ads between pages should go. I can live with the rest, tbh. I never needed an adblocker on my phone, but I'll be getting one now.. I've had it on desktop for years.

I'll agree that these ads are going to be a major deterring factor for potential new members. If this was my first time on the site I'd think it was some sort of spam/potential virus situation.

Yeah this is exactly what we were worried about when the site changed hands. Id happily throw a few dollars in every now and then over this. There have been times where I couldn't open the site becasue the pop up ads were so large I couldn't reach the "x" to close them.

Last edited:
to reiterate others' posts -- would it be possible to ask members (heh) to contribute some funds in order to avoid these ads? these ads suck.

The problem is that it’s not just about a few bucks a month to cover costs. I would happily kick in to a non-commercial venture but the site operates as a business now and the goal seems to be maximizing revenue even if it means degrading the experience.

if degrading the experience is the goal, mission accomplished.

The problem is that it’s not just about a few bucks a month to cover costs. I would happily kick in to a non-commercial venture but the site operates as a business now and the goal seems to be maximizing revenue even if it means degrading the experience.

Exactly. The site ran without ads for - how long, 15 years? But @SkyriseCities - a man who has never contributed to this site in any way and does not care about its quality or future - is in charge now. He wants to make some money off it and doesn't care if, in so doing, he destroys it.

Capitalism!

Yeah, I have them now. Must have been the WiFi I was on that was blocking it before. It severely harms the mobile experience.

I'm an extremely infrequent poster here, but have been lurking a long time, and I've gotten a lot of knowledge and enjoyment out of this board over the years (even prior to actually signing up for a membership). I have no philosophical issue with an owner/admin trying to monetize their site, as long as it doesn't ruin the user experience in the process. I belong to a few other ad-supported message boards, but those ads are limited to banner ads at the top and/or bottom of each page; some have sidebar ads. None of them have ads in between threads or posts, and certainly no pop-up ads in between navigating pages. It's jarring, and as others have pointed out, likely to drive any potential new blood away. It's disruptive and gives off an amateur/clownish vibe.

Edit: I'd be happy to kick in a few bucks to mitigate ads if revenue is a concern.

Last edited:
I use an adblocker on desktop so I never noticed but holy hell the mobile site is pure cancer.

Back