New Bedford Developments

It's funny, I was having a similar conversation last night. My buddy's fiance is from northern Maine (about 3.5 hours from Portland). She was talking about getting her mom a hotel in Portland so that she could go out for her birthday. I laughed and said that I couldn't imagine someone from 3.5 hours away getting a room in New Bedford for a night out. Not because New Bedford isn't a nice place, but because it's clearly a second tier regional city (anyone within 3.5 hours would choose Boston, Providence, New York, or even Newport over NB) while Portland is the obvious regional powerhouse up there. Despite the similar size (NB has 30,000 more people in a smaller footprint), Portland is in a different tier and NB can't get there.

I make the comparison because Portland has had to balance an active working waterfront with a boost in tourism. They have similar size populations, similar coastal locations and similar sized urban cores (though Portland has more office space due to being a regional center). People in NB are getting that they can learn a lot from Portland.

Yeah, it is weird. People in Maine think Portland is NYC, and the same is true of people in vermont about Burlington. I think New Bedford could go just as far as Portland, but it will take more effort because of the factors you mentioned (many of which increase competition around it, while Portland is the center). Portland used to be a pit that people avoided. I can;t picture 30,000 people relocating to Portland even in the same size footprint...it really is odd how suburban most of the city is. Does density continue outside New Bedford? I picture it to.

Yeah, it is weird. People in Maine think Portland is NYC, and the same is true of people in vermont about Burlington. I think New Bedford could go just as far as Portland, but it will take more effort because of the factors you mentioned (many of which increase competition around it, while Portland is the center). Portland used to be a pit that people avoided. I can;t picture 30,000 people relocating to Portland even in the same size footprint...it really is odd how suburban most of the city is.

I think it can rebound as much as Portland has (I'd say it's 10-15 years behind), but it'll never bee the regional center Portland is. There are things Portland has/does that New Bedford will never be able to compete with. For example, while New Bedford is expanding its airport, it'll never be as active as Portland's. It will continue to operate small (I mean tiny) Cape Air fights to the Islands, and if everything goes well, it may end up with a small business shuttle to New York City, but it won't have flights to all of the larger hubs that Portland does. It's an "international trade zone" so I think it's potential lies mostly in the freight sector. It won't draw the bigger concerts like Portland does as those will go to Comcast Center (30 miles away), Providence, and Boston (it does get good small and mid-size shows at the Z and elsewhere). It will never host the level of minor league sports team that Portland does (it was a battle to get a NECBL team there... Sanford ME and Newport RI each have one). I'd say it could host Single A ball if they could get a stadium, but that won't happen with teams in Brockton and Lowell (not to mention AAA in Pawtucket and Boston an hour away). I doubt you'd see a civic center or arena open up, although I'd push to get a smaller one in a partnership with UMass Dartmouth.

While NB has a larger population, it doesn't feel like the regional center Portland does when you're downtown (there's less activity and far less office space). I think activity has increased downtown significantly in the past couple of years. I think it will still grow with new retail, small businesses and more popping up every day. Tourism is grown and will continue to as well. However,NB won't attract office centers at the same rate due to Providence and Boston being so close (even Fall River, 10 miles away, is competing). While I think it can follow Portland's footsteps in many ways, it will not be the business center Portland is.

Does density continue outside New Bedford? I picture it to.
^Not as much. It's strange how similar the surrounding New Bedford area is to Portland. Fairhaven, Much like South Portland, has some denser neighborhoods on the water, just across the harbor from New Bedford before it tapers out and gets more suburban. It's also hard to tell when you've crossed out of NB and into Dartmouth as it maintains a similar level of density (especially in South Dartmouth) but still tapers off fairly quickly once you're in Dartmouth with the exception of the 195/Route 6 strip (similar to Route 1 in the Portland area... in fact, almost identical) that remains fairly suburbanized all the way until you hit Fall River where it gets dense again.

New Bedford's Far North End (much like North Deering) is fairly suburban. By the time you cross into Acushnet and Freetown, there's not much density at all.

Outside of those areas, like Portland, it gets fairly rural and suburban quickly. You have large areas of wooded land or old farmland that are pocked with cul-de-sacs, etc. UMass Dartmouth plays a similar role to USM (both suburban and urban campuses). The Dartmouth Mall and box retail is very similar to South Portland/Scarborough. Fairhaven has some smaller box retail (similar to Falmouth). The towns along the coast just outside of New Bedford are fairly well-to-do. Mattapoisett, Marion, Dartmouth, Westport, etc. Are a lot like Cape Elizabeth, Falmouth, Scarborough, Cumberland, etc. In fact, my girlfriend (from Scarborough) considers Dartmouth to be Scarborough's "Twin." Both towns cover a huge footprint and have neighborhoods ranging from borderline rural in wooded areas, to big box retail along a major secondary highway (Route 1/ Payne Rd in Scarborough, Route 6/ Faunce Corner Rd. in Dartmouth), to cookie cutter suburban neighborhoods, to expensive, scenic oceanfront homes for the very wealthy.

Again,the area as a whole is fairly similar. While New Bedford has more people and a higher residential density, Downtown Portland feels more built out even if it doesn't cover a much larger footprint. Portland may not be able to squeeze 30k more people in, but NB won't be sporting the office space that downtown Portland does in my lifetime.

This Portland/New Bedford talk has been coming up a lot lately. Last night I was in Newport and I got to talking with a girl who went to school in Portland (UNE) and got her Masters at UMass Dartmouth. When she found out I was originally from New Bedford, she was pretty animated about how much she liked it and compared it to Portland. It got me thinking about how exactly I'd compare the two since, as the recent posts show, they're still a long ways apart.

So I decided to have some fun and make a list comparing the two in different aspects. Obviously there's nothing scientific about it. Just based on observations of the two so ymmv.

I'm going to use a 1-10 scale for each category with 10 being the best and 1 being the worst.

Economy:
Portland: 7.5
New Bedford: 4.5

Portland is a regional commercial hub that has been on a bit of an upswing over the past few decades. It has a regional commuter airport and a large service based economy. It also has a few corporate headquarters and major branches. Portland is the medical center for the region with a few hospitals and a number of medical offices.

New Bedford is the highest grossing fishing port in the nation and is growing in a number of other sectors (technology and healthcare being the bigger two), but it's still a fairly one-dimensional city economically (which has lead to both of the city's previous declines) and a high unemployment rate attests that it's not where it needs to be from an economic standpoint. Still getting better though.

Downtown Shopping:
Portland: 8.5
New Bedford: 5.5

Portland has done a wonderful job of keeping retail stores in its downtown neighborhoods. There is a wide variety of retail options downtown even though it would be nice to see an anchor department store or two (Renny's was a nice addition).

New Bedford gets a score higher than 5 based on quality, not quantity. If this same list was made 10 years ago, New Bedford would probably be at a 3. New boutiques and specialty stores have sprouted up, but it has a long way to go to match the diversity of Portland in this regard

Downtown Pedestrian Activity
Portland:9
New Bedford:6

Portland seems to always be active downtown. New Bedford has made improvements but still seems quiet after business hours.

Dining:
Portland: 9
New Bedford: 7

Portland has a top-notch restaurant scene for a city its size. The only real issue is that it doesn't really offer much in terms of ethnic food.

New Bedford has a severely underrated dining scene. It has an abundance of ethnic foods (obviously Portuguese, but also Dominican, Guatemalan, Indian, Eritrean, Lebanese, etc) but falls a bit behind in fine dining. There are some great restaurants in New Bedford, but none are quite on the same tier as places like Fore Street or Hugo's in Portland.

Nightlife:
Portland 6.5
New Bedford 6.5

Portland's Old Port is a destination for all of Maine but it's still a fairly small collection of similar bars and pubs. It gets the most points for being compact.
New Bedford's nightlife scene has doubled in size in the past few years. It has a pretty good variety of places (with dancing, quieter pubs, upscale wine bars, and more), but they're a LITTLE more spread out than the Old Port. Still entirely walkable though.

Walkability:
New Bedford: 8

Both very walkable, and dense downtown areas. New Bedford loses 1/2 a point to Portland due to Route 18 which divides the city from the waterfront. It's currently being redone to be more pedestrian friendly, but we can't give it points until the project is done.

Overall Downtown:
New Bedford: 6.5

Both have excellent bones, but Portland's is more built out and more complete. Much more activity on the street level there.

Transit:
Portland: 7
New Bedford: 5

Portland has rail connection to Boston which is a big boost. New Bedford's is supposedly on the way, but it's not there yet. Both local bus systems could use work, but New Bedford's reaches further (joint bus with Fall River). Portland's airport is far more useful for travelers than New Bedford's. Both cities have ferry service to nearby islands.

Topography/Setting:
Portland: 10
New Bedford: 8.5

Strong suits for both cities. Portland has, perhaps, the nicest natural setting in New England with the rocky coast and islands as well as proximity to the mountains.

New Bedford is on a very beautiful stretch of coast and well connected to the nearby islands too. It's not as close to the mountains and wilderness as Portland and you can feel that which is why it's 1.5 points behind.

Attractions:
Portland: 7
New Bedford: 8.5

Portland's draw is the Old Port. The Art Museum is great and the Children's Museum is nice too. The Eastern Prom. is pretty, and the West End has nice houses. Both cities have good symphonies.

However, New Bedford offers a little more in that regard. The Whaling District neighborhood is a National Historic Park. The Whaling Museum is fairly large and unique. The Art Museum and Ocean Explorium are great attractions as well. The Roch-Jones-Duff House is a great museum in a historic district (County St. Historic District) that rivals Portland's West End. New Bedford has some smaller museums (Military, Fire, Glass, etc) that are nice too. New Bedford has an award winning zoo which is something Portland is missing.

Culture:
Portland: 8
New Bedford: 7

I don't think culture is necessarily synonymous with attractions. A city can have great culture without great museums, etc. Portland has a unique "feel" that's hard to describe. It's certainly culture rich for such a city. New Bedford has its own culture, but not the same type of vibe that Portland does.

Historic Districts:
New Bedford: 9

Portland's Old Port is great architecturally and from a street life standpoint, but it's hard to pretend that the poor modern infill (Fore Street garage, etc), telephone poles/lines, paved over cobblestones aren't apparent. New Bedford's Whaling District is far more in tact with no surface telephone poles, cobble stone streets/sidewalks, gas lamps, and much less modern infill. The secondary historic districts in either city are closely matched.

Outer Neighborhoods:
Portland: 6
New Bedford: 6

I give this one an equal score because while I feel that New Bedford has more from an urban neighborhood standpoint (Acushnet Ave. in the North End alone is enough to make that call), Portland's old street car neighborhood of Deering Center is functional in its own right and Munjoy Hill and the West End are very nice.

People:

Portland may not have a more diverse population, but it has a better range of socioeconomic backgrounds. Only recently have parts of New Bedford really become attractive to professionals with degrees. Portland has a more educated populous (in the city, anyway) and doesn't have the same issues with "trash" that New Bedford does. Portland feels like a city for everyone, and New Bedford isn't there yet (again, getting better though)

Regional Influence:
Portland: 9

The region around New Bedford is far more populous than Greater Portland or Maine in general, but it's also infiltrated by influences from Boston, Providence and beyond. Portland, on the other hand, is the clear cut king of the empire for quite a ways in all directions.

Tourism:
Portland: 9.5
New Bedford: 4.5

Portland is obviously a much bigger tourist destination and likely will be for a long time. It doesn't mean New Bedford can't improve in this area though.

Parks:
Portland 8
New Bedford 7.5

Close, but the Eastern Prom. is better than anything in either city. I'd still take Fredrick Law Olmstead's Buttonwood Park over Deering Oaks. Fort Taber, Brooklawn and Hazelwood are also great urban parks too.

Overall:
Portland: 138
New Bedford: 110

So it's fairly obvious that New Bedford is quite a ways behind Portland in most of these categories (and won't catch up in many of them), but it's easy to draw comparisons which makes discussing the two so entertaining.

Cool post. I'd like to offer some thoughts (I like comparisons!). Before I begin, I think New Bedford could catch up (and might) if the right type of city planners and politicians make it happen. Portland used to be just like New Bedford (declined former industrial and fishing port) before people reinvested in it substantially, just like Burlington, VT (which also has an extremely high poverty rate (1 out of 5 people are below the fed poverty level). I don't know what NB's poverty rate is, but Burlington's is quite high and above average. Portland, last I checked, had 14% poverty, while Burlington is at 20%, yet driving around Burlington one would think it was all rich people because of college students and the fact that the abject poverty is hidden in the North End, which is section off from the rest of the city by one way streets OUT of it. You really have to know where you are going to get to the North End. Anyway, the point is that cities are all capable of rebounding, in my opinion, given the right mix of ingredients commitment, and even cities that look successful sometimes are not (Burlington). Anyway, that said, here are my thoughts on your comparison, which will mainly add to the Portland discussion because I have never been to NB.

Economy:
Portland's economy is something that waxes and wanes, like everywhere I guess. In the 1980s it had the lowest unemployment of any city in New England and a few years ago was ranked the number 2 best city for business (after Miami). However, one would never know it looking for a job around here. I think a lot of the employment goes to people with experience gained in larger markets who come here once they are established professionals (rather than new market entrants). Portland used to be a banking hub (Before it was TD Bank, it was TD Bank North, and Bank North was headquartered in Portland. TD also considered relocating its New England headquarters here from Boston, I believe, in 2005, but that could have been when it was still TD BankNorth and I could be confusing the news I heard about tenants planned for the new high rise proposed for the Top of the Old Port parking area). The main hospital is the largest north of Boston, so healthcare is big too. Also, it is often said that Portland has more lawyers per capita than anywhere but D.C. I don't know about the accuracy of this, but the Old Port gets a fair amount of business from the legal industry, which keeps it viable year round. You are right that one dimensional cities are easily sunk with recessions, but I wonder if NB might fix this by capitalizing on the bio tech and other tech industries in the area?

Downtown Shopping:
Unfortunately, all the department stores moved to the mall, as elsewhere in the country. Renny's is a nice addition but is very low end. However, this raises another issue in that for a pair of socks someone has to leave the city while they can buy a Chinchilla fur for a grand even though no one in Portland wants one. A Gap on the waterfront would be great. There has also been talk of lining the Ocean Gateway garage with stores like Burberry (even if only an outlet) to entice the cruise ships.

Downtown Pedestrian Activity
I think Portland does a remarkable job at getting people out and about on numerous streets. Yet, on a Sunday evening, the place is full of only weirdos for the most part. It is very strange.

Dining:
I am assuming when you say Portland doesn't offer much by way of Ethnic food that you are referring to upscale (the type of place one would go "out" to) as opposed to regular run of the mill places (where people merely "refuel" at)? Portland is lacking in this regard, with mainly pubs and American food places with a few more upscale (Hugos, Fore Street, Street & Co., Grill Room, etc.) places. But, there are also plenty of places to grab some interesting ethnic food that are outside the city, if just looking to "eat" instead of have a dining experience. I can think of Vietnames, Thai, Somali, Greek, Indian, Polish, Jamaican and Arabic places around town. Veranda Thai is on outer Washington and is a local favorite. Forest Ave must have half a dozen at least asian markets and assocaited restaurants of Thai, Viet and Cambodian foods, and on the outskirts of Deering Center is a Polish place that has been there for a long time. I think there are at least two Indian places downtown, along with Federal Spice (lite fare Jamaican) and a Greek place on Exchange. This is all without mentioning the typical "Chinese" places, like Tokyo-Shanghai or Stir Crazy on Congress. There are about 5 African markets I can think of, some of which have sit down restaurant spaces. The number of Thai places is hard to count (more on St. Johns). Anyway, your point is a valid one, and Portland could stand more diversity (Thai seems to be the majority of places), but it is very difficult when the population is used to pub food. :)

I also enjoy the Front Room, Corner Room, Old Port Sea Grille, and Walters. I have heard Bar Lola, Bresca, and Back Bay Grill are all great too. JP's in Montrose (used to be Rachel's) is a VERY nice place that should be in the Old Port but is in a tiny building tucked away in a residential neighborhood. For less formal places, I enjoy Norms Bar & Grill (great atmosphere) and Sianos, located in the heart of Deering Center. I preferred Walter's when it was on Exchange Street, but it still has some good food (but usually too expensive).
Everyone raves about Fore Street in Portland, but in my opinion its just as good as the next place. They have great food, but so do a lot of places. I like the Old Port Sea Grille and Walter's and Street & Co. (same owner) atmosphere better.

As for NB, I have never even heard of Entrean cuisine, but it sounds like the city has quite an eclectic mix. Are the places you mentioned for everyone, of for the local crowds of those specific backgrounds (like I feel the somali markets are, unofficially, in Portland)? f

Nightlife:

In my opinion, nightlife in Portland is close to a 10. I know there are better places, but I have yet to see many of them. Montreal was pretty active, and Boston had bigger and more packed bars, but neither had the concentration of places that Portland has. Maybe I just haven't seen it if they do. Wharf Street has hundreds (thousands?) of people out every weekend, and in the summer it has got to be almost all week. That being said, the variety of places could definitely be improved.

In this regard, the city has recently added a few more upscale places. There is Ginko Blue, with live Jazz and Blues music, located right next to Walter's on the corner of Fore Street, and a beer there is almost twice as expensive as somewhere else because of the cover for live music. The food is astronomically expensive too, and the crowd is totally different. Mostly young professionals that I have never seen out in the Old Port. Also, 51 Wharf (a popular dance club) recently opened a new bar, Forti Fem, which has a dress code and is a bit more upscale than the others. It is a "martini bar" like the former "Cake" bar across the street (which failed even though it offered a great place to grab a drink and watch the hustle and bustle on Wharf. There was also a place "Right Proper Charlies" but that failed too. There is also the Chocolate bar, a wine bar, and Una used to be a nice place (but for some reason turned from a wine bar into a hip hop joint and then not surprisingly went out of business). Some people prefer places like the Portland Harbor Hotel's bar, or the lounge at the Regency hotel, or even the Top of the East or Hilton bars, but those are, for the most part, a little dull and outside of the main scene. I agree that Portland needs better and more upscale places, but the concentration of people is quite a boost to what would otherwise be an average nightlife scene. Burlington, VT has this same issue and same success. The trouble is that these places are seasonal in nature, and so the result is more pub type places, which are easy to keep open all year round.

It is nice to hear NB's nightlife is on the upswing, because I think it is definitely a quality of life factor, for everyone. Any theaters?

Walkability:
I'd say downtown Portland is a near 10 for walkability, while much of the rest of the city is more like a 4 or less, with some exceptions. NB downtown looks similar, although I note a few vacant lots that may disperse amenities a bit (but that's true in Portland too).

Overall Downtown:
I think Portland's downtown used to be considered Congress only, then Congress declined and the Old Port came into its own, and now the activity of the Old Port has spread straight up Congress, with places like Myaki (a saki and noodle bar), and 188 Local anchoring the far end and a bunch of neat niche stores and restaurants filling in the street. Pretty cool in these areas and Free Street, too, but the rest of downtown is a different store. Cumberland Ave, only one block of Congress, is not anywhere special, and Baysside is the same story, but this might change.

Transit:
Cool that NB has ferry service...what islands? In Portland, there is talk about funding a continuous loop transit service bus from the Airport to Thompson's point/Amtrak, to the Casco bay Ferry station from taxes gained when the Red Claws build their new arena. There is also a ZOOM bus that brings commuters to town with shared satellite parking, and there is talk of Bus Rapid Transit or commuter rail. Portland's Metro bus is not the greatest, but does OK along main routes. The land use patterns in outlying areas make transit difficult here as I imagine might be the case in NB too. As for Amtrak, I don't think it does much for commuters, although it is nice to have the option to get into Boston by train. Until the new express bus goes to Amtrak, it does a very poor job at location, which is hard to walk to. I am sure NB would benefit tremendously from rail connections to either Providence or Boston.

Topography/Setting:

I like Portland's East End views, and the hill assists the buildings in forming a more impressive skyline than would otherwise be the case. I think Portsmouth has a pretty sweet setting, too, and cannot speak for NB as I have never been there, but it sounds nice as well.

Attractions:

Aquarium is needed in Portland, more than anything as far as attractions go. The islands are also a big draw. I can't picture a zoo in Portland. Is NB's in the city or outside? I would think Portland's would need to be somewhere in a surrounding city. Portland has a couple smaller museums, like the fire engine museum and narrow guage rail road museum, but nothing as extensive as the whaling museum sounds.

Culture:

I am still trying to figure out what Portland's culture is. I'd say on the whole it is very similar to most places in New England (southern) in that people start their sentences with "friggin..." and watch the Sox, Pats and Celts, like to frequent bars and work at blue collar places. Then there are the people who work and shop here, but live elsewhere (Cape, Falmouth etc.) They have their own culture, Whole Foods, arts, wine, etc. Then there are the hippies who move here from the suburbs looking for the big city only to get Congress Street, which they gladly inhabit and act oddly upon day and night. I think it is this mix of cultures that makes any city great or enjoyable.

Historic Districts:

Without knowing much about NB, it sounds more historic than Portland (which is saying quite something).

Outer Neighborhoods:

Munjoy Hill and West End are, in my opinion, still intown neighborhoods (peninsular) and therefore a different animal than suburban Portland, but different people make the delineation differently. I think Oakdale is nice, but could stand to have more of a center (and also has a transient student population).

Deering Center is the historic downtown of the Town of Deering, I believe, and is where I grew up. It has a nice little (tiny) stretch of stores and retail and restaurants, and could be so much more with a few new places. Rosemont is sort of like this, but not as coherent, and could be so much more. North Deering has really dropped the ball as far as being a unique center, although there is the population for it. Outer Washington Ave and Veranda are kind of a nice little center, but could be more. Willard Square in South Portland is probably as close as many of these places, and is a much more cohesive neighborhood with restaurants and retail shops.

People:

I am curious to know more about NB's diversity (and Portland's). Portland went from being 90+% white to having a large influx of people from all over the world. I don't know what the current statistics are, but they are probably one of the most rapid racial and ethnic demographic changes the city has ever seen. The Portland High School (second oldest in the country after Boston Latin) has over 300 languages spoken, and Reiche school is something like 45% white. I think many of the 300 languages are dialects instead of actual languages, but when I was a kid it was probably like 5 languages spoken throughout the city.

I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts on exactly what defines "trash." While I am not an advocate of using that phrase to refer to people literally, it is undeniable that it has taken on a common meaning, and that Portland has quite a bit that arguably fit this definition. I wonder if you have seen any, and if so, I am intrigued to hear of NB's. It is always funny to point out the stereotypical person from the Fighter of the Town walking around Portland.

Regional Influence:

Tourism:

you said "Portland is obviously a much bigger tourist destination and likely will be for a long time. It doesn't mean New Bedford can't improve in this area though." I agree

Parks:
Portland 8
New Bedford 7.5

Can't comment on this, but I think FLO designed the park system in Portland, too, or his sons did (or maybe both). The trail system has really improved recently, with the Eastern Prom Trail and the tying into of the Bayside Trail, which will eventually connect to the Deering Oaks and from there it is a short walk to the Fore River trail. Would be interested to know more about NB's parks. As for pocket parks, I think Tommy's park and Post Office park in the Old Port (which are abutting) are great, and Lincoln Park could use some real improvement.

Both cities from my observation have their fair share of interesting "locals".

One thing you both forgot to mention is a huge difference between the two cities though...Portland has the Canadian draw from all the tourists who hop the border to visit the Maine seacoast to spend tons of tax dollars. That in itself is HUGE.

Both cities from my observation have their fair share of interesting "locals".

One thing you both forgot to mention is a huge difference between the two cities though...Portland has the Canadian draw from all the tourists who hop the border to visit the Maine seacoast to spend tons of tax dollars. That in itself is HUGE.

There are quite a few Quebecians in Portland during the summer, but their presence isn't noticeable other than their license plates. However, in the surrounding towns (beach towns, mainly) the Canadian presence is palpable.

How do hotel accomodations match up?

I'm not sure, so I will let LrFox answer in more detail, but I am going to bet Portland's hotel accommodations are at least twice as great. People in Portland often complain that all we have is hotels here, and not enough reasons for people to stay in them. In the last year, two large hotels have been built, and another is in the works. There is the Hilton, Marriott, Portland Harbor, Hampton, Eastland, Regency, Holiday Inn and a number of Bed and Breakfasts all right downtown, not counting peripheral areas on the outskirts of town, and I could be forgetting some others. many of those just listed are quite large, too, like 10+ story buildings for two of them. The hotel rooms are very seasonally occupied.

New Bedford has only one hotel, which opened last year a short walk from the downtown historic district. Otherwise you have to go to Fairhaven or beyond.

New Bedford has only one hotel, which opened last year a short walk from the downtown historic district. Otherwise you have to go to Fairhaven or beyond.

Yeah...not many hotels...There quite a few Bed & Breakfasts in town. Including the Herman Melville house which wife and I stayed in past...

For the sake of time, I didn't respond to what I pretty much completely agreed with you on or post where there were no questions to be addressed. Thanks for the response (I was hoping you would).

Economy: I wonder if NB might fix this by capitalizing on the bio tech and other tech industries in the area?

It's diversifying its economy SLOWLY. The industrial park has recently added a number of high tech companies and fairly wide variety of small businesses are opening up. There seems to be a pretty big increase in healthcare too. The service sector (inc. Tourism) is growing too. Again, I know I've beaten this to death, but I think New Bedford will have a harder time attracting even regional headquarters for large companies due to being so close to Providence and Boston (which is one area where Portland beats it).

The fishing is great, but it makes me nervous. It's such a fickle industry and even with the recent improvements, New Bedford is dead in the water without it.

Dining:
I am assuming when you say Portland doesn't offer much by way of Ethnic food that you are referring to upscale (the type of place one would go "out" to) as opposed to regular run of the mill places (where people merely "refuel" at)? Portland is lacking in this regard, with mainly pubs and American food places with a few more upscale (Hugos, Fore Street, Street & Co., Grill Room, etc.) places.

Pretty much. And to be clear, I haven't lived in Portland for over 2 years so even though I've visited, I haven't seen some of the changes. I think Portland does well in some of its niche areas for ethnic food (certainly Asian Markets and Somali food) and even a few other (I don't think Chinese food in Maine is as awful as it's reputed to be). I just think it lacks a little beyond that especially in terms of sit down type ethnic food. I would say that Portland blows most other comparably sized cities out of the water in terms of higher-end American cuisine (Miyake is an awesome sushi place too).

I also enjoy the Front Room, Corner Room, Old Port Sea Grille, and Walters. I have heard Bar Lola, Bresca, and Back Bay Grill are all great too. JP's in Montrose (used to be Rachel's) is a VERY nice place that should be in the Old Port but is in a tiny building tucked away in a residential neighborhood. Everyone raves about Fore Street in Portland, but in my opinion its just as good as the next place. They have great food, but so do a lot of places. I like the Old Port Sea Grille and Walter's and Street & Co. (same owner) atmosphere better.

I didn't love Bresca... It's not terrible, but places like that are plentiful down in Southern New England (Cafe Balena on Water Street in NB is similar in both type of food and atmosphere). I guess I'm just used to it. I know the chef at Back Bay Grill and he does a fantastic job. It is very good. Never tried Bar Lola or JP's but have also heard good things about both of those places.

My feeling about Fore Street is that they take simple, common dishes and execute them perfectly and consistently. I've been probably 5 times and never had even just an OK experience. It's been good every time. I found Street & Co. to be just OK, but have only been once so maybe it was a bad experience. Never tried the Old Port Sea Grille. Hugo's is one of my favorite casual/ semi-upscale restaurants anywhere (great food for not outrageous prices... you'd pay double for the same in Boston) and Duckfat (same chef) has awesome fries.

The Grill Room was one of the worst dining experiences I've ever had. I ordered a $40 Ribeye (wolf's neck farm) and it was just gross. Cooked perfectly, but chewy, sour (I hate grass fed beef) and awful. My girlfriend ordered a salmon and it was actually very good. I think I just ordered the wrong dish.

As for NB, I have never even heard of Entrean cuisine, but it sounds like the city has quite an eclectic mix. Are the places you mentioned for everyone, of for the local crowds of those specific backgrounds (like I feel the somali markets are, unofficially, in Portland)?

It has a good mix. The Portuguese cuisine is for everyone. The Portuguese are fairly assimilated (think Italians in Boston's North End) and there are dozens of Portuguese restaurants markets and festivals and everyone goes. I love Portuguese food. However, the Guatemalan, Brazilian, Haitian, Dominican, and African places are more geared to those ethnic groups. To me, that's half the fun (and most of the time they enjoy "whitey" coming out to eat). Portland's ethnic places are overall more accessible than NB's. NB doesn't come close to matching Portland's fine dining either (Portland has 2 James Beard Award winners- Hugo's and Fore Street while NB has none).

Nightlife:

In my opinion, nightlife in Portland is close to a 10. I know there are better places, but I have yet to see many of them. Montreal was pretty active, and Boston had bigger and more packed bars, but neither had the concentration of places that Portland has.

I don't think Montreal is that great if you're over 21. It's a wonderland if you're 18 or 19, but being 20+ in Montreal can get frustrating unless you're way off of St. Catherine.

Boston certainly has the concentration of bars that Portland does in places like Lansdowne, the Theatre District and Faneuil Hall/Blackstone. They're just sort of separated by type and not a smattering of this an that in one little area.

I would go ahead and say that Newport, RI has the best small city nightlife in New England by a mile. There are tons of places concentrated on Thames Street downtown and on the adjacent wharves (more people on the streets by far than Wharf St. in Portland). What's more is that there are other pockets of bars that offer some different varieties too (Broadway, Bellevue, Lower Thames, etc). Like Portland, it's quieter in the winter, but far from dead.

I agree that Portland needs better and more upscale places, but the concentration of people is quite a boost to what would otherwise be an average nightlife scene.

I certainly agree that Portland has decent crowds in the summer (it's not "dead" in the winter either) and it deserves points for being so condensed into that small little area. That crowd also makes Portland appear to offer more than it does in terms of nightlife since it's all right there. At the same time, I think it's also Nightlife in Portland's biggest downfall.

Don't get me wrong. The cluster of bars along and near Wharf Street is great. It's central and it makes it easy to do a bar hop for anyone from locals to tourists. However, I think that this leads to a crowd that's almost TOO mixed and the scene at all of these places is fairly similar (whether it's classified as "pub" or "club"). For instance, 51 Wharf is fairly popular. I've been more times than I can count. And when you go in there, there is a tiny dance floor with 10-15 girls and maybe 6 or 7 guys dancing (no, I'm not complaining about the ratio). The rest of the crowd in the place is just the same as the pub crowd down the street in Gritty's or Bulfeeney's. And that crowd ranges from everyone from the 21 year old drunk birthday girl to the 30 year old bachelorette to the 40 year old suburbanites to the 55 year old tourist couple awkwardly swaying to music they've never heard before. It's downright weird sometimes and it throws off the entire vibe.

I think being SO central and SO compact creates an atmosphere that can only be casual (many/most of the places who try to be more, i.e. Cake, Una, etc, fail completely or end up changing their plan) because it must accommodate so many different tastes at once. After living there I found that the Old Port felt one dimensional for this reason. Every bar/club felt the same... the only difference was whether one had a DJ, Live Band, or no music at all. The Old Port has a lot of places close together that do a lot of things OK, but no places that do one thing very well. That's part of why I only gave it a 6.5.

Comparatively, other cities have separate nightlife areas that serve different tastes. You mentioned Boston as not being the same as Portland (though I would argue the Faneuil Hall/Blackstone area is probably more compact and busier). It has a number of nightlife districts that serve mostly different tastes. It has the the Faneuil Hall/Blackstone area which is full of loud pubs and a few dance spots that are chalk full of early 20-somethings looking to get wasted. Not far away you have the Sports Bars on Canal Street. You have large, upscale clubs in the Theatre District (all of which have dress codes and attract people looking to dance only, not people just popping in like in the Old Port). I have a hard time considering the places I've been in Portland "clubs" because of the crowd and size of the places (generally physically small places with only a handful of people dancing). The way I describe it is that it's not easy to find a place in Portland that everyone is specifically going to to dance. There are places with dance floors, but they're often filled with observers and people just popping in to dance a bit. Nothing like real clubs.

In addition, you have sort of an underground/alt. music scene in Central Square, more sports pubs and clubs on Lansdowne and many other places in between. Where you go depends on what you're feeling any particular night.

Providence is similar. You have the clubs downtown, pubs on Wichendon, upscale lounges on Federal Hill, and collegiate bars on Thayer St. Like Boston, those are all clustered together by type and not mashed together in one district.

One of the other things that bothers me about Portland with regards to nightlife is a SEVERE lack of neighborhood bars. Portland's nightlife is ALL right around Wharf Street and the Old Port with very few outliers. Great Lost Bear is nice and there are a few others, but there aren't really many neighborhood joints at all in Portland and that's one area where I felt it lost some other points. I love to have a few small bars outside of downtown to just grab a drink, relax and watch the game, talk, or shoot some pool. There aren't many places like that in Portland at all.

The last weak spot with Portland's nightlife is the 1am closing time (last call is often between 12:30 and 12:45). That's really too early to call a place "good". Boston is often criticized for having a 2am last call. New Bedford is 2am too.

Again, Portland's cluster of bars along a small strip is a positive in that it really centralizes everything. However, there's not much else outside of that strip which means everyone looking to go out is in the same area and goes to the same bars and they all have a fairly similar scene. Even New Bedford has the collegiate bar scene on Lower Union (Catwalk, Fins, Rose Alley, Garden, etc) the "artsy" crowd up on Purchase/William (Pour Farm, No Problemo, Hibernia, etc) and the dancing crowd further up Union and out on Purchase (Stardust, 908, Union City, etc). In addition, NB has some fantastic neighborhood bars (including strips of them along Acushnet Ave.) all over the city.

Like any small city (I feel the same way about NB and even Newport), Portland's nightlife can get pretty stale and fast. Hotel bars are also hotel bars anywhere... sort of "meh" with very few exceptions. To be fair, I haven't tried Ginko Blue, Chocolate Bar, or Forti Fem (unless it's that other room near the bathrooms inside of 51 Wharf in which case I have), so there's a pretty good chance it's gotten better since I've been there. The Old Port just had a "high school reunion" vibe that I really didn't like at all, but that's just personal preference. It's obvious that it's more than adequate for locals and tourists. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's PERFECT for a weekend outing since everything is so close together and it's not hard for visitors to find where to go. However, after a weekend or two, you can see the shortcomings fairly easily.

That lengthy post is why I gave Portland a 6.5 instead of a 10. I'm willing to bet that most people that aren't you and me (we both have our biases) would settle somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

t is nice to hear NB's nightlife is on the upswing, because I think it is definitely a quality of life factor, for everyone. Any theaters?

The Zeiterion Theatre is the biggest and pretty good. They're in the process of trying to renovate the old Orpheum Threater too.

Walkability:
I'd say downtown Portland is a near 10 for walkability, while much of the rest of the city is more like a 4 or less, with some exceptions. NB downtown looks similar, although I note a few vacant lots that may disperse amenities a bit (but that's true in Portland too).

You're probably right in this regard. NB has some vacant lots along Union (one really noticeable one between Purchase and Pleasant on Union) and a few other not very urban structures (St. Anne's Credit Union). However, William, Purchase, Water, Pleasant and even 6th have great streetwall. I'd probably rank NB about a point below Portland no matter what the overall score.

Transit:
Cool that NB has ferry service...what islands?

Martha's Vineyard and Cuttyhunk. Year round service too. It's nice to have.

In Portland, there is talk about funding a continuous loop transit service bus from the Airport to Thompson's point/Amtrak, to the Casco bay Ferry station
I think that would be awesome. Have you ever seen or heard of Ecolobus in Quebec City (scroll down that link a little bit to see it)? It's a small, free electric bus that runs along a central loop connecting some of the primary areas. Portland could really benefit from something like that.

The land use patterns in outlying areas make transit difficult here as I imagine might be the case in NB too.

Yeah, same with NB. NB has the benefit of having Fall River as sort of an urban bookend nearby, but Biddeford isn't too far from Portland either. NB's bus system isn't exactly stellar.

As for Amtrak, I don't think it does much for commuters, although it is nice to have the option to get into Boston by train.

I was going to say, at least you have it. It's certainly useful.

Attractions:

Aquarium is needed in Portland, more than anything as far as attractions go. The islands are also a big draw. I can't picture a zoo in Portland. Is NB's in the city or outside?

I think an Aquarium is a must for Portland. I actually thought it would be good for the Maine State Pier. New Bedford's (called the "Ocean Explorium" and it's tiny but currently expanding) was decades in the making and is starting very small (it opened 2 years ago). The Zoo in New Bedford is about 1.5 mile from downtown in Buttonwood Park. It's also expanding too. It's a great location in a great park.

Portland could do a nice zoo just outside the city. I don't think it would need to be too far.

Culture:

I think it is this mix of cultures that makes any city great or enjoyable.

I agree.

People:

I am curious to know more about NB's diversity (and Portland's).

New Bedford is still largely Portuguese (over 38%), but they don't show up in general census stats (considered "white"). In addition, it has a decent African American population for a small New England city as well as a growing Indian population (due to medical and engineering jobs as well as UMass Dartmouth), Guatemalan, and Brazilian (due to the existing Portuguese speaking population) population.

I don't know what the current statistics are, but they are probably one of the most rapid racial and ethnic demographic changes the city has ever seen. The Portland High School (second oldest in the country after Boston Latin) has over 300 languages spoken, and Reiche school is something like 45% white.

I bet it's a significant increase in minorities. I actually worked at Reiche a bit when I lived there and am surprised to hear that it's even 45% white. I worked with a number of Arabic, Chinese, Korean and African children (most of the languages are tribal African dialects). Not many white kids and many of those were first/second generation immigrants.

I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts on exactly what defines "trash." While I am not an advocate of using that phrase to refer to people literally, it is undeniable that it has taken on a common meaning, and that Portland has quite a bit that arguably fit this definition.

I cringe using the term. However, it's undeniable that they do exist. In my opinion, "trash" could be anyone (ethnic or white) who has never left the city, has little education (or work ethic... college isn't for everyone), no job, drug abusers, welfare system abusers and and overall insular mentality. New Bedford has too many. It is, in my opinion, the city's biggest downfall.

I also consider "trash" to be the Jersey Shore types. Unfortunately, many of the Portuguese youths have adapted that style. Blowouts, fake tans and Ed Hardy make me sick.

It is always funny to point out the stereotypical person from the Fighter of the Town walking around Portland.

Oh, they're everywhere in NB too.

Parks:
Portland 8
New Bedford 7.5

Would be interested to know more about NB's parks.

Buttonwood is the gem due to design and the fact that it contains the zoo. However, Fort Taber is my favorite. It has a great old fort (two, actually), a long public pier and striking views of Buzzard's Bay and Elizabeth Islands. It's like the Eastern Prom. without the hill. The city also has Hazelwood, Brooklawn and Riverside which are nice parks. Custom House Square and Wings Court are nice in downtown but not as nice as Tommy's/Post office.

I'm not sure, so I will let LrFox answer in more detail, but I am going to bet Portland's hotel accommodations are at least twice as great.

More than Twice. Portland wins in everything from quantity to quality.

New Bedford has a bunch of great B&Bs, but only one downtown hotel (and that's only 2 years old). There is a hotel in Fairhaven across the bridge that's within walking distance, but it's still a pain. No, New Bedford needs a lot more to even be close to the same tier as Portland in terms of accommodations.

Last edited:
I'll mainly respond, as you did, only to the points I have to add to.

you: "Pretty much. And to be clear, I haven't lived in Portland for over 2 years so even though I've visited, I haven't seen some of the changes. I think Portland does well in some of its niche areas for ethnic food (certainly Asian Markets and Somali food) and even a few other (I don't think Chinese food in Maine is as awful as it's reputed to be). I just think it lacks a little beyond that especially in terms of sit down type ethnic food. I would say that Portland blows most other comparably sized cities out of the water in terms of higher-end American cuisine (Miyake is an awesome sushi place too)."

Portland has had the same type of ethnic scene for as long as I can remember, certainly when you were in college. With the exception of Myake, I don't think any of the places I referenced are new. They are just not in the Old Port, for the most part, so they are a bit off the radar.

You: "I didn't love Bresca... It's not terrible, but places like that are plentiful down in Southern New England (Cafe Balena on Water Street in NB is similar in both type of food and atmosphere). I guess I'm just used to it. I know the chef at Back Bay Grill and he does a fantastic job. It is very good. Never tried Bar Lola or JP's but have also heard good things about both of those places.

My feeling about Fore Street is that they take simple, common dishes and execute them perfectly and consistently. I've been probably 5 times and never had even just an OK experience. It's been good every time. I found Street & Co. to be just OK, but have only been once so maybe it was a bad experience. Never tried the Old Port Sea Grille. Hugo's is one of my favorite casual/ semi-upscale restaurants anywhere (great food for not outrageous prices... you'd pay double for the same in Boston) and Duckfat (same chef) has awesome fries."

Bresca looked over priced and the food too fancy. Duckfat has great fries. Fore Street I agree. Street & Co. I always get the same thing, which is great, so I never complain. Ate at Havana South tonight, which was great. Live music and awesome food (formerly Cake).

You: 'The Grill Room was one of the worst dining experiences I've ever had."
I have had bad food there, but if you get the right food, it is great. The atmosphere is also great.

You: 'I don't think Montreal is that great if you're over 21."
I have only been pre-21.

You: "Boston certainly has the concentration of bars that Portland does in places like Lansdowne, the Theatre District and Faneuil Hall/Blackstone. They're just sort of separated by type and not a smattering of this an that in one little area."

I am by no means an expert on Boston nightlife, having been out probably 5 or fewer times. But I have been out in the Theater district. It had a couple of clubs, but nowhere near the people on the street as Portland (they were all inside). Inside the clubs was totally different, with way more people than Portland. The opinion is based on one time out, so I am not saying it is worth much. For a city 10 x the size of Portland, I just didn't think the nightlife was 10 x as great. When we went out recently in Central Square, there were way more people out than the night we were out in the theater district, and I thought it was cooler in Cambridge. Never been out in Faneuil because I assumed it would have been tourist trap bars. But I guess not.

you: "I certainly agree that Portland has decent crowds in the summer (it's not "dead" in the winter either) and it deserves points for being so condensed into that small little area. That crowd also makes Portland appear to offer more than it does in terms of nightlife since it's all right there. At the same time, I think it's also Nightlife in Portland's biggest downfall."

While I am willing to admit the concentration adds tremendously to what would otherwise be average bars (because part of the fun of going out is to people watch, and that is better with concentration), I don't think nightlife is such a big fail because the city is so small. If it were Boston, I would.

your characterization of the bars in portland and the people in them is pretty much spot on and correct (I especially liked the reference to the tourist couple just walking through and awkwardly listening to the music). However, while 51 wharf has its busted nights of 10 people on the dance floor (usually friday nights in the winter), it also has a fair number of nights where its at capacity and the place is too crowded to the point where it is difficult to walk around.

While I haven't been to too many other places for nightlife (I don't consider myself a nightlife critic really), I have yet to see many places that are really enjoyable. Burlington, VT had decent crowds but was even more one dimensional than Portland. Cabos, Mexico was pretty cool and full of variety, but with the exception of two Portland-like bars, most of the places were empty. In Providence, we didn;t see much, but that is probably because we weren;t there long enough. Portland being so small makes the nightlife scene that does exist impossible to not notice. Other cities being bigger means you have to know where to look. Portland isn't perfect, and is getting better, but is better than many places.

you: 'One of the other things that bothers me about Portland with regards to nightlife is a SEVERE lack of neighborhood bars."

Not that I don;t agree it could be better (I've often though neighborhoods in Portland should densify and localize their market niche), but what about Sianos? Brass Rail/Morrills Corner pub? Brunos? Sam's? Frosty Pint?

You: "Portland's nightlife is ALL right around Wharf Street and the Old Port with very few outliers."

Congress Street is full of bars. Nosh, 188 Local, Myaki, Norms, Genos, Awful Annies, Matthew's, Dog Fish, and I am sure there are a few here and there I am forgetting. Also a number of restaurants with great bars on that street.

you: "The last weak spot with Portland's nightlife is the 1am"
I totally agree. Burlington was 2 or 3, I forget.

You: "Even New Bedford has "artsy" crowd up on Purchase/William (Pour Farm, No Problemo, Hibernia, etc)..

Congress Street in POrtlan tends to cater to this crowd.

you: "I haven't tried Ginko Blue, Chocolate Bar, or Forti Fem (unless it's that other room near the bathrooms inside of 51 Wharf in which case I have)

Ginko Blue is closest to the type of upscale bar you would expect in a bigger more cosmopolitan place, and is fairly nice. but expensive. not the typical high school reunion in there. However, it is in a corporate building, not a brick former warehouse, which I think detracts from its authenticity (Portland as a seaport has a certain niche and it plays it well).

Forti Fem is that other room, but it has been totally redone and now has a dress code and has separate admission, so its technically a separate bar now. I have not been in, but the idea is to make it more sophisticated. I have my doubts.

you: "I think that would be awesome. Have you ever seen or heard of Ecolobus"

yes I have, and Burlington has something very similar to it. I agree it would be great. The trick is, how is it financed?

There are parts of Portland, Munjoy for example, that used to be considered white ghettos. It is odd because now they have really gentrified, with new bars, restaurants, coffee places, and college students.

^Great stuff. While living in Portland, I never noticed the "trash" to be nearly at the same level as it was in New Bedford. I noticed that more well outside the city (Biddeford for example). It certainly existed, but I think Portland has a good mix of people whereas New Bedford could use some more work.

The only thing I'd point out on the nightlife stuff (I'm hardly a nightlife critic either and everyone has separate tastes with regards to nightlife) is that part of the reason the Theatre District isn't as "active" in terms of people wandering on the street is because most people who go to those nightclubs aren't "bar hopping." They pick a large club, get dressed up to go out, and spend the night there (it's tough to "hop" when the cover is $20 at each place). Many of the places are super fancy, and very large (3+ floors sometimes with various rooms). It's a lot different from the pub scene. It's also quite a cool atmosphere after the clubs get out in areas like Boylston Place. There's no place quite like in Portland which is why I criticized that aspect of nightlife there. For Bar-hopping (even with a little dancing), the Old Port is great, for nightclubs which are an entirely different scene, no so much. I think you'd find Lansdowne Street or Faneuil Hall and the Blackstone Block (not just touristy bars at all) to be just as active (on a larger scale) as Wharf Street in Portland. I think Thames Street in Newport RI is almost identical to that type of crowd, especially in summer.

I have no idea how something like Ecolobus is funded. I'd imagine Portland could funnel some money toward something like that. It might be a good alternative to extending the Amtrak along Commercial Street if that's not feasible.

I was under the impression that most of the hotels/motels in the NB area were in North Dartmouth and the one in FH.

I was under the impression that most of the hotels/motels in the NB area were in North Dartmouth and the one in FH.

You're right. The bulk of them are in Dartmouth (Faunce Corner/Mall area). There are at least two in Fairhaven though (one right on the waterfront within walking distance from downtown NB) and a Hampton Inn.

I guess I've been meaning to post this for a little bit, but I've forgotten. Jerry Remy's Sports Bar and Grill is coming to the Fall River waterfront. Now, I'm not overwhelmed with Jerry Remy's (I find it to be stylish, but a tad overpriced for the quality), but I DO love the local ties (Jerry Remy is from Fall River and grew up playing ball in Somerset, right across the river) and punch this brings to the Fall River waterfront. The restaurant will be located in a beautiful old waterfront mill building right next to Bicentennial Park (the one that has the 1/2 scale replica of the Iwo Jima memorial) and the boardwalk along the river down to Battleship Cove. It's a great bookend (the other being the Battleship, Carousel, Marine Museum, Narrows Center, etc) for that boardwalk which really is quite nice.

I tend to roll my eyes at "prospective" developments in Fall River. It seems like they can never get anything done. So while this has been rumored for over a year, I didn't think anything of it until an official announcement was made. Again, I really like the idea of this with outdoor seating on the waterfront and reusing and old mill. Great for the city.

FALL RIVER- The waterfront announcement Thursday that Jerry Remy’s Sports Bar & Grill has “a preliminary signed agreement” to make Fall River its next hot spot may have been an extra-base hit for the city and the development team headed by Anthony Cordeiro.

“We do have a preliminary signed deal with Tony and his partners to bring Remy’s to the waterfront,” Mascia said. Construction should start late this fall if all the conditions of the deal are met, he said.

Full story

There is a live webcam from the roof of the Regency in New Bedford.

http://72.85.244.125/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=4888

This camera shot is pretty awesome...Now if we can just get the new New Bedford leaders (Mitchell & co) to put a bike lane in that bridge on this shot to connect to Fairhaven's bike path that will eventually lead to Cape Cod...

Look out for new improvements to the whole Southcoast in bike & ped accessibility...That goes for not just in New Bedford, but also Fall River...

2012 will be a good year in bike & ped planning here...

This camera shot is pretty awesome...Now if we can just get the new New Bedford leaders (Mitchell & co) to put a bike lane in that bridge on this shot to connect to Fairhaven's bike path that will eventually lead to Cape Cod...

Look out for new improvements to the whole Southcoast in bike & ped accessibility...That goes for not just in New Bedford, but also Fall River...

2012 will be a good year in bike & ped planning here...

That would be ideal. I grew up in Fairhaven near Ft. Phoenix and have used the bikepath often for running and biking. I can't wait for it to be expanded.

This video made me feel a tingle in my pants. Street Cars in New Bedford in the 1920s. I can only imagine what it must have been like to see that type of activity downtown.

http://youtu.be/lsWBg_6ss-g

Also, good news on the seaport improvements. Looks like they have $35 Million in funding and more on the way.

NEW BEDFORD — The Patrick administration says it has budgeted $35 million for the construction of the proposed marine commerce terminal in New Bedford and that more money may be coming.
Full Story: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120301/NEWS/203010342/1011/TOWN10
nbport.jpg

Finally, A restaurant/bar called, "Pier 37" opened on lower Union St. right next to Pizans Pizza, across from Catwalk and around the Corner from Cork and Rose Alley. A really nice block of restaurants and bars (now if only they'd fix the National Club). A nice rotisserie place called Braza opened on Pleasant St. downtown too. I had dinner and drink at Pier 37 on Valentines day and the scallops rank in the top two or 3 I've ever had. It'll do well.

Back