New Bedford Developments

Some of the mill conversions in New Bedford (and in places like Lowell, Haverhill, and probably Manchester, I assume) can do well enough as long as there's a market for the units (and there is a growing one). Many of these old mills haven't been out of use too long so they may not have to be torn apart as the most recent uses often have somewhat modernized the insulation, heating/cooling systems, etc. One of my favorites is the recently opened Lofts at Wamsutta in New Bedford. It really beautified a HUGE chunk of the city (there's a major antique store there and a small museum inside as well). The units are great too.

Personally, I think it's a case by case basis. I mentioned the Riverside Landing development right near the Victoria mill conversion. That site was the Fairhaven Mills location. It was a big controversy when the developer said they wanted to take it down. It was deemed a historic site, but it just wasn't feasible to renovate it so they took it down and are now building a relatively large, three-phase, mixed use project. Wamsutta was financially doable while Fairhaven Mill (about 1/4 mile away from Wamsutta) wasn't. I like Wamsutta, but at the same time the Fairhaven Mill Complex was sprawling. The new development includes new streets (smaller blocks) and essentially a new neighborhood center along the waterfront. It's more pedestrian friendly and integrated with the neighborhood better than a mill complex can really ever be (most essentially turn their back on their surroundings).

New Bedford is lucky enough to grown as a seaport/maritime colonial city (as evidenced by the city's focal point, the Whaling District National Historic Park) for a long time before industry came to town. Because of this, the old mills are a ways outside of downtown (where in industrial cities like nearby Fall River or Pawtucket, Haverhill, Biddeford, etc they are right in downtown). This means they don't really effect how the city's center functions or appears aesthetically.

Personally, I'd rather see most of them go, feasible or not. Wamsutta is great. I really like what's happening at Victoria (here is the website, by the way) too since it's right on the river near another new project. Those two developments are an influx of over $100 Million in that small pocket of the North End that can go a long way. Still, old mills occupy a lot of space and I'd rather see that space used to tie back together the urban fabric of a neighborhood (like Riverside Landing) instead of just sprucing up a giant old dinosaur. Like I said, it's a case-by-case basis and some can be retrofitted nicely; but more often than not, I'd rather see them leveled.

I don't see the prices posted, but I think the rentals at Victoria are going to start at about $950 (1 bedroom) and the condos at about $250,000. I'm not sure at all what they're going for at Brick Mill.

Thanks so much for all the insights and news on New Bedford...It would be great if you could do a blog on news/happenings on New Bedford instead of that food blog you started....Maybe after you're done with school that can be a project...There was one started in the revitalizing city I used to live, Durham, NC, in which a previous Cambridge native moved to the city and created a blog on ongoings and business developments that happened throughout the city since local media was not reporting enough on the positives of the city...It was great and a BIG reason outsiders looked at Durham in a different point of view instead of the typical one forgotten cities tend to be viewed as.

But on to the point of Historic mills and your view on them...I'm a big advocate for re-use and re-purposing architecture to keep the integrity of places and also think it is much "greener" to just keep as much as you can instead of tear down and use all new materials...I agree that they do hold a ton of space hostage that can otherwise be predestrian friendly spaces as most of these buildings don't allow that. With creativity, some can...

but one thing I'd like to see with these mills especially in the SOuth End of New Bedford is for developers to consider these for office space or even manufacturing that will create blue collar jobs. I'm a big fan of balance and don't like the idea of cities focusing on just one economy and riding that wave. I think New Bedford needs more blue collar jobs in order to keep its working class working instead of just creating an economy of tourism and corporate jobs. The fact that New Bedford has a working waterfront is a HUGE asset and one that I hope continues as it plays a vital role in keeping blue collar jobs in the area but also provides a valuable asset that creates tons of tax dollars. Just ask Newport, RI how valuable a working warterfront can be and how invaluable a residential waterfront is to a city/town.

One project like this I recently read about was the Brooklyn Navy Yard as efforts by local neighborhood and political leaders brought the Navy Yard back from being vacant to being an industrial hub for young companies that nurtured blue collar jobs. Its an awesome idea that should not be abandoned and has brought back the idea that industrial blue collar jobs are not a thing of the past. They simply should not be abandoned as not everyone is good with computers and books...Some are simply good with their hands and I'm sure the New Bedford population is one that will benefit immensely from such an idea. So in conclusion, I'd like to see something like this take shape where one of these old mill buildings get restored and re-purposed in a more creative manner. More info on Brooklyn Navy Yard: http://www.brooklynnavyyard.org/

An old abandoned mill building in a very poor and struggling part of Durham, NC was re-purposed during the time I lived there into affordable artist lofts. This building featured areas where the artists displayed their artwork and once a month, got a chance to display and sell their artwork in the common art areas designated to each artist. This idea boomed and thus the building and it's surrounding area flourished and is now considered an area on the brinks of revitalization. The building itself, The Golden Belt, inspired a local Neighborhood revitalization and a neighborhood was re-born as old surrounding bungalows, cottages, and mill houses have been bought left and right and restored to be wonderful homes as neighborhood residents created a neighborhood association to create more power as a neighborhood and make themselves known. It's a wonderful story of how residents and regular people can easily take their neighborhoods back and save them from blight and neglect. More info on Golden Belt: http://www.goldenbeltarts.com/index.shtml

I wish I had the money and support once my wife and I move to New Bedford to make something so grand come to fruition but is probably far fetched with our salary...But maybe when my wife gets law degree, things may change and we can do something great along these lines...It would be awesome to see one of the South End's mill buildings like the Globe Furniture building turned into a mixed use retail/residential commercial space. That would help turn that area around the mill building around and help in revitalizing efforts naturally

Again, these are just some ideas and possibilities of what can happen with these mill buildings instead of just creating more apartment homes.

Go New Bedford!

Last edited:
B's win!!!!

Idea to make New Bedford's hurricane barrier an attraction that will prob not come to fruition but a good idea anyways:

It is said to be the largest stone structure on the East Coast and the largest hurricane barrier in the world.

Properly presented, it could be one of the biggest attractions in the city of New Bedford.

The New Bedford Hurricane Barrier, built in the early 1960s to protect the city after the devastating hurricanes of 1938 and 1954, could provide a panoramic 3-mile-plus-long walk high above the city harbor.

With views of downtown New Bedford and Fairhaven, Palmer's Island, Forts Tabor/Rodman and Phoenix along with the outer harbor, the rocky granite top of the hurricane barrier has the potential to be one of the city's prime recreational sites.

Imagine a hurricane barrier with a paved walkway ? park benches for more than a mile lining the views north, south, east and west ? and period lighting that would be a grand welcome to New Bedford Harbor itself.

It would be more than sublime.

Unlike the hurricane barrier walkway that's always been located on the Fairhaven side of the Acushnet River, the New Bedford barrier has never been enjoyed to its fullest by city residents and visitors.

It's a utilitarian rocky top, forbidding to all but the young and spry as far as a leisurely summer walk is concerned.

But now that the Army Corps of Engineers has said the barrier can be recertified for hurricane protection, Mayor Scott Lang wants to move ahead with a plan to build a lighted walkway on top of the barrier with benches where everyone in the city could enjoy the million-dollar views of Buzzards Bay on a sultry afternoon like Wednesday.

The plan would be to join the barrier walkway to a conservation boardwalk on the adjacent pastoral outcrop of Palmer's Island, which sits smack in the middle of the harbor just north of the barrier. The plan would also be to tie the barrier walkway to a more parklike environment at the Gifford Street boat ramp on the shoreline.

If these plans were ever realized, the city of New Bedford, for a relatively minimal investment, could create a harbor parkway as grand in its own way as either Buttonwood or Brooklawn parks.

"It makes all the sense in the world," said Lang, explaining that a hurricane barrier walkway could revitalize a long-neglected area of the city.

Lang and I first walked the hurricane barrier together three years ago.

I'd had the idea that a walkway on top of the structure had a lot of potential for helping city residents better connect to their river. Lang, however, told me the city was already on top of the idea and had applied for a grant and the Army Corps' permission to build the walkway.

Lang originally thought the walkway could be realized in a year or two, but then Hurricane Katrina struck and the Army Corps decided the barrier's structure needed to be re-evaluated.

But all that's done now.

Here's the problem.

Three years ago, there was plenty of state and federal money around for urban revitalization projects like a parkway on top of the hurricane barrier. But now, with the country in the throes of the greatest economic slowdown since the Great Depression, there's said to be no more money.

That's a shame because a recreational upgrade of the hurricane barrier seems like the kind of natural government works project that you would want to undertake during a time of economic slowdown. Sort of like 2011 New Bedford's version of the Cape Cod canal bridges.

Ron Labelle, the savvy head of the city's Public Infrastructure department, thinks an initial hurricane barrier parkway could be built for $250,000 to $350,000.

The city has a little money coming its way on July 1 when the new fiscal year will make $50,000 available from the Seaport Advisory Council for the initial stages of a hurricane barrier walkway pilot project.

The original plan was to match that money with something called "urban self-help" grants to construct the pilot section of walkway, but that money probably won't be available now.

But Labelle, Lang and Kristin Decas, executive director of the Harbor Development commission, are not easily deterred. They hope to go forward with some sort of pilot section of the walkway anyway.

Labelle said the city once again can use its own Public Infrastructure department to do the construction work for the pilot sections ? maybe it won't yet have the park benches or the lighting, but it's a start.

It would have to be constructed in roughly 20-foot sections, Labelle said, so the concrete structure could cure, but it could be completed over time, maybe a little bit each year, he said.

"We could continue to look for funding sources, but at least we could get the thing started," he said.

I'd like to see the city move a lot faster than that. I just think a hurricane barrier walkway has enormous potential for the city, both from a tourist and recreational perspective.

There are some impediments, to be sure.

New Bedford has evidently committed to using the Gifford Street boat ramp area as a staging location for the Cape Wind project.

And as that project continues to be tied up in court and with other bureaucratic delays, it seems like it's going to be like commuter rail ? taking longer rather than shorter.

I'd like Economic Development Council director Matt Morrissey to see if there's another possible staging area, or at least preserve a portion of a boat ramp park and parking area for the walkway.

Also in the works is said to be a Palmer's Island earmark from the last round of the Harbor Trustee Council money. Maybe there are some possibilities to link hurricane barrier walkway work to that project.

Of course, it's all the political rage right now to proclaim that the country has to stop spending money in order to pay down the massive federal deficit. But that seems exactly wrong to me ? as in the Great Depression, now may be exactly the time to do this kind of great public works project. Can you spell Franklin Roosevelt?

The truth is that this grand New Bedford hurricane barrier is an architectural wonder that many communities would be ecstatic to possess. It's an engineering marvel that, besides its massive gates, actually includes a tunnel, seven stories underground, that weaves its way along the barrier.

Never yet tested by the kind of big hurricanes it was designed to endure, the barrier gates take a full 12 minutes to close just one side.

This edifice itself has enormous potential as a tourist attraction.

It's one of a kind, New Bedford's own little Hoover Dam.

It's just a matter of us, and the rest of the world, coming to realize it.

I didn't know about that tunnel! Cool.

I love the Fairhaven hurricane barrier. My dad always took me there and told me stories about how they used to jump the fences as kids.

Another great idea to bring more business to the working waterfront New Bedford and Fairhaven share:

A new association of New Bedford and Fairhaven marine-related businesses wants to bypass old competitive feelings between the two municipalities and focus on collectively marketing the harbor's strengths.

The newly formed Fairhaven New Bedford Harbor Association is organizing businesses on both sides of the harbor with the goal of increasing communication and cross-promotion and boosting boating and pedestrian traffic, according to Lou Balla, co-founder of the association and standing secretary/treasurer.

"Everyone has aspirations of a better waterfront, but no one has unified in the past to make it happen," said Balla, sales and marketing director for Northeast Maritime Institute in Fairhaven. "Our idea is to bring the community together working closely with the (New Bedford) Harbor Development Commission, the fishing community and professional maritime services."

The new group includes businesses that are directly connected to the waterfront, such as Fairhaven Shipyard, but also those that benefit from boating traffic, such as restaurants and bed and breakfast establishments. Goals include participating in events like the arrival of Tall Ship Eagle in July and, at some future time, hosting its own harbor festivals on Pope's Island, Balla said.

The association also wants to build on efforts begun by the HDC, such as recent work to boost summer cruise traffic to New Bedford to 11 cruises in 2011, Balla said.

"That's a huge increase, but you look at that and you almost need to ask, who's taking advantage of this?" questioned Balla. "Most people in the industry and waterfront in general, they don't really know."

Association member Paul Anthony, general manager of New Bedford's Sea Fuel Marine Services, said he believes a collective group can help bring additional cruises, particularly luxury yacht charter vessels, to the harbor.

While Sea Fuel primarily supplies the commercial fishing industry, Anthony said the company has picked up yachting business in the past and said he believes there is much more potential to the market.

"What this group is trying to do is get (superyachts) to use this as a base of operation," he said.

Primarily private boats, superyachts are large luxury vessels that can be 200 feet in length and come staffed by professional crews of about 15 to 18 people. They are frequently chartered by wealthy individuals at a cost of up to $250,000 for a week, Anthony said.

The many services available in New Bedford Harbor, including fuel, repairs, dock access, and a safe refuge located behind a hurricane barrier, are what will draw luxury boats here, Anthony said.

"The things we have to offer here in New Bedford are the engine repairs and fuel costs. We move an awful lot of fuel here so we can keep our prices very, very low," he said. "We also have some of the best diesel mechanics anywhere. And we have a regional airport. A lot of these people own their own jets and this airport can handle anything they have."

And, Anthony said, local services go way beyond just boat-related support.

"The big thing about cruises is their food," he said. "They hire these top end chefs who prepare these meals with top end quality food."

And where are many cruises getting their supplies? From New Bedford's seafood industry and local supplier Sid Wainer & Son, according to Anthony.

"These small things like this, you start to add them up and it all makes sense. You hit the dock, you get your fuel; you get your provisions. It's so convenient," he said.

Balla said luxury yachts are one of two main targets for the group with recreational boating being the other. With that in mind, at its June 7 meeting, the association elected standing vice chairs to represent both industries with Clint Allen of TowBoat U.S. chosen for recreational boating and Mike Yorston of West Marine's Professional Captain Services division, serving in the same role for yachting. Dave Medeiros, a primary instructor at Northeast Maritime Institute, was elected standing chair.

The association meets again June 16 at 6 p.m. at the Northeast Maritime Institute. Businesses with waterfront interests are welcome to attend.

Another great idea to bring more business to the working waterfront New Bedford and Fairhaven share:

Those people are delusional, New Bedford will never be any kind of draw for upper echelon yachts regardless of how much money they spend. I sailed in there last year with the CCA and thought I was going to lose my lunch at low tide with the smell of rotten fish and garbage that pervades the harbor. They'd be better off focusing on the existing clientele; low to middle level boaters looking for a well-protected slip in a convenient place.

B's win!!!!

Idea to make New Bedford's hurricane barrier an attraction that will prob not come to fruition but a good idea anyways:

I didn't realize this thread was active again!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for mill conversions, but some in NB are in rough shape. I'm also an advocate for small, walkable urban blocks. Many mills are mega structures and monstrosities. I love the Brooklyn Navy Yard stuff. I've seen a number of excellent reuses of old mill complexes. Toronto, Quebec City, and Baltimore are all places that have done a good job of reusing old mills for great recreational and residential purposes. What's happening in New Bedford's North End is a minor miracle. Right now, the Riverside Mill is wrapping up Conversion. They just approved the another conversion (old Cliftex mill, I believe) and even though Fairhaven Mills are gone, the construction there (office/retail/residential and park) is moving along. In a few years that whole section of waterfront will have gone from abandoned mills to thriving waterfront residential complexes. The community boat house and rowing program is extraordinarily popular.

I like the Hurricane Barrier idea. It's a great thing to have and it's really cool to walk along. The Fort Phoenix side gets a lot of use as they have direct access. There's no reason it wouldn't be successful in NB. The Fort Rodman area is already popular due to views of Buzzards Bay. The Hurricane Barrier has excellent views of the bay, harbor and downtown NB. I hope they go through with it.

Those people are delusional, New Bedford will never be any kind of draw for upper echelon yachts regardless of how much money they spend. I sailed in there last year with the CCA and thought I was going to lose my lunch at low tide with the smell of rotten fish and garbage that pervades the harbor. They'd be better off focusing on the existing clientele; low to middle level boaters looking for a well-protected slip in a convenient place.

We get it, you don't like NB. Despite your constant nay-saying, I don't completely disagree with you here, but for different reasons. For the time being, I can't see New Bedford competing with harbors like Newport (nautically, it's not far at all) and smaller, more attractive harbors like Marion, Mattapoisett, Padanaram, and Westport.

In addition, I think New Bedford has a hard enough time accommodating its massive fishing fleet. They're tied up 3-5 wide in some cases. The city should focus its efforts more on accommodating commercial uses. What sets New Bedford apart from cities like Brockton, Lawrence, Holyoke, etc. is the fact that it has an active harbor that keeps it from slipping into complete uselessness.

I think New Bedford has a future with recreation and tourism (given the city's architectural and cultural assets combined with location, it's hard to imagine it won't), but it will have to balance out with a working waterfront. New Bedford isn't Newport (comparisons to Newport are stupid) and it will never be a resort town first and foremost. There are a lot of people putting all of their eggs in the tourism basket and I don't see that playing out they way they hope. It'll get more tourists. Hell, it HAS tourists already. However, it should take notes from places like New London, Portsmouth and Portland on how to balance recreation and tourism with an active working waterfront. But that's a ways off. For now, most recreational boaters in the area are happy with the New Bedford Yacht Club (which is in Dartmouth), Marion, Mattapoisett and other smaller harbors.

For the time being, I'd rather see the waterfront adjusted to better accommodate more freight and cargo shipping, bigger cruise ships (New Bedford has increased cruise traffic every year for the past 5, but it's mostly smaller ships like the American Cruise Lines), and more room for the fishing fleet. New Bedford badly needs more jobs and more money if they really want the city's assets to shine. The small business influx to downtown has been great. The waterfront development in the North End has been wonderful too. However, New Bedford needs to land some real companies and grow the non-tourism economy before it can hope to become a big-time recreational destination. It's got the raw materials (good bones, attractive neighborhoods, great location), but it needs more money before it'll really shine.

As far as the whole smell thing goes, that's overblown. My parents keep their boat at Pope's Island in New Bedford. Yup, on a hot day at low tide, the smell of fish can be somewhat strong. Most of the time it's not awful. Overtime that will change. Boston and New York used to have "stinky" harbors too. Baltimore still does have a stinky harbor and it's a destination. The city has $54 million in the works for a harbor cleanup too. I don't think the smell's going to be a problem.

Idk if this was ever discussed, but what is your take on the casino off 195? That would have brought some interesting life to NB and thousands of jobs.

If it has, just link me to the discussion rather than typing it all again.

^The renderings were posted a few pages back. There were actually two proposals. The one right off of 95, and one a bit further south closer to downtown that would reuse the old Canon Street Power Station. That one is WAYYY better. Not just from an aesthetic perspective (btw, you can view renderings here- it's a pretty impressive collection), but because of the proximity to downtown (walking distance) and the efforts taken to integrate it with the city.

Long story short, I was 100% for it. I think the crime fears associated with casinos are overblown and having one would create jobs as well as boosting traffic into the city. The Cannon Street Station project would also involve millions of dollars of harbor cleanup and redevelopment (including new and expanded commercial dock space) all paid for by the developer. I know casinos in MA aren't 100% dead, but I'm not confident it'll happen. KG Urban Enterprises is still actively pursuing the site. I think the one along 195 is dead in the water. More of our discussion can be found back on page 11, but I don't know how much of it is still relevant.

^The renderings were posted a few pages back. There were actually two proposals. The one right off of 95, and one a bit further south closer to downtown that would reuse the old Canon Street Power Station. That one is WAYYY better. Not just from an aesthetic perspective (btw, you can view renderings here- it's a pretty impressive collection), but because of the proximity to downtown (walking distance) and the efforts taken to integrate it with the city.

Long story short, I was 100% for it. I think the crime fears associated with casinos are overblown and having one would create jobs as well as boosting traffic into the city. The Cannon Street Station project would also involve millions of dollars of harbor cleanup and redevelopment (including new and expanded commercial dock space) all paid for by the developer. I know casinos in MA aren't 100% dead, but I'm not confident it'll happen. KG Urban Enterprises is still actively pursuing the site. I think the one along 195 is dead in the water. More of our discussion can be found back on page 11, but I don't know how much of it is still relevant.

That was the only rendering and location I really liked to see in New Bedford as far as casinos go...I love those renderings and actually persuaded me to think differently on the casino to New Bedford proposal. I just have a negative thinking of casinos in a city after being to Atlantic City and seeing how nasty the area around it is. Never been to Vegas though and Foxwoods from what I remember is in the middle of nowhere and not really city...

My feeling is that one casino, especially one as integrated as the KG proposal isn't a bad thing. Local business can feed off of it. I would HATE the city to revolve around a series of casinos. One well located casino would be beneficial. New Orleans has one downtown (the KG proposal for NB is nicer than the NO Harrah's) and the same company built one in Bethlehem PA. Residents there are very happy with it and say it's been a big boost for the local economy. I went to Mohegan once but it's an island in the woods. Tough to compare to an urban proposal.

I am by no means a casino enthusiast (I don't really care for the other NB proposal), but I like the Cannon St. Station proposal (it's also a nice repurpose for a few older buildings including the plant itself) for all I think it could bring to the table.

New Bedford has $3Million in funding for the Riverwalk Project:

With nearly $3 million in funding lined up, city officials can move forward with their vision to transform the upper Acushnet River shore with a scenic and accessible riverwalk.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110627/NEWS/106270332

Another good step forward for the North End. There are now three mill conversions either just wrapping up or under construction in this area, Phase 2 of the Fairhaven Mills side is about to begin here too. Total transformation in the North End.

Good news for NB, glad to hear the North End is gaining positive momentum!

^I hope so! That area of the city needs a lot of work, but Acushnet Avenue is a very cool, very urban street and it would be nice to see things get cleaned up around it. At the moment, it's pretty lively and depending on where you are it can feel like Little Portugal (there is a strip of bars that if you walk into there's always a soccer game on and no one is speaking English), or Little Guatemala. It's very gritty, but also pretty cool and active. I'd love to see the Riverwalk project and influx of nicer residences make that whole area more accessible.

*edit*
Not huge news, but kind of cool. The Ocean Explorium is undergoing a small expansion after only 2 years of being open. It's adding a Shark and Ray Touch Tank.

Last edited:
^I hope so! That area of the city needs a lot of work, but Acushnet Avenue is a very cool, very urban street and it would be nice to see things get cleaned up around it. At the moment, it's pretty lively and depending on where you are it can feel like Little Portugal (there is a strip of bars that if you walk into there's always a soccer game on and no one is speaking English), or Little Guatemala. It's very gritty, but also pretty cool and active. I'd love to see the Riverwalk project and influx of nicer residences make that whole area more accessible.

*edit*
Not huge news, but kind of cool. The Ocean Explorium is undergoing a small expansion after only 2 years of being open. It's adding a Shark and Ray Touch Tank.

Nice! It would be cool if they somehow made a path for bikers/runners/rollerbladers like in other waterfront pedeestrian projects seen around the nation...I hope they consider this!

I also hope they eventually create a series of bike paths that would allow bikers to get around the city a little easier...There is no bike paths in New Bedford that I know of...Fairhaven has a nice greenway that will hopefully one day be connected to New Bedford...

Nice! It would be cool if they somehow made a path for bikers/runners/rollerbladers like in other waterfront pedeestrian projects seen around the nation...I hope they consider this!

I also hope they eventually create a series of bike paths that would allow bikers to get around the city a little easier...There is no bike paths in New Bedford that I know of...Fairhaven has a nice greenway that will hopefully one day be connected to New Bedford...

I agree. New Bedford is a big time underachiever when it comes to taking advantage of its assets. The Hurricane Barrier in the South End really stands out to me. They NEED to convert the top of that into a biking/blading/walking path. It's just too perfect not to. I think the plan for the North End park includes a biking/walking trail.

I also agree with the bike paths. New Bedford is WAY behind when it comes to bike lanes/paths. I do know there's an effort to connect Fall River and New Bedford via bike path (here's info on it) that's gained momentum recently. It'd be nice to see that eventually connected to RI's East Bay trail (maybe over the old Brightman St. Bridge?) which continues onto Providence and connects to Worcester.

I'd like to see NB connected to Fairhaven's rail trail too. I think Mattapoisett is working on linking to that trail. There are hopes to connect to that trail into the Cape Cod Canal trail. It'd be great to eventually have an unbroken connection from Providence to Cape Cod via New Bedford. It's not impossible at all.

I agree. New Bedford is a big time underachiever when it comes to taking advantage of its assets. The Hurricane Barrier in the South End really stands out to me. They NEED to convert the top of that into a biking/blading/walking path. It's just too perfect not to. I think the plan for the North End park includes a biking/walking trail.

I also agree with the bike paths. New Bedford is WAY behind when it comes to bike lanes/paths. I do know there's an effort to connect Fall River and New Bedford via bike path (here's info on it) that's gained momentum recently. It'd be nice to see that eventually connected to RI's East Bay trail (maybe over the old Brightman St. Bridge?) which continues onto Providence and connects to Worcester.

I'd like to see NB connected to Fairhaven's rail trail too. I think Mattapoisett is working on linking to that trail. There are hopes to connect to that trail into the Cape Cod Canal trail. It'd be great to eventually have an unbroken connection from Providence to Cape Cod via New Bedford. It's not impossible at all.

Whats the arts scene like in NB? I know not every place could or should be an artsy place, but from my experience they tend to clean up revitalizing cities pretty quickly because they are the only "desirable" group of low income folks. So, if a city is rebounding after industry or retail leaves, rents go down, the place can be occupied by general "low income" people or the more attractive "arts and creative crowd." this then draws people interested in the arts (with money, usually, and it is a success story from there. As someone who lived in Portland, you are familiar with the congress street arts district. It is odd enough today, can you imagine how it was in the 1990s before the arts district took off? Has NB looked into anything like this? I know today, with rents rising in Portland, places like Biddeford and Westbrook are trying to capitalize on those artists who are now priced out of the portland market. Might this be something NB could try for those priced out of Providence? has it?

^The arts are (relatively) huge in New Bedford. It's sort of the backbone of the city's revitalization (especially downtown). There's no "Arts District" per se (they consider all of downtown to be the "Arts and Cultural District"), but UMass Dartmouth's College of Art is located downtown and the bottom floor is a giant art gallery. There's also an Art Museum and the Whaling Museum frequently showcases period specific art as temporary exhibits. One of the best Non-profits in town is Artworks! a great community gallery downtown. There are around at least 13 art galleries (off the top of my head) open to the public downtown (a whole bunch more that are private all over the city) in addition to a number of independent fashion boutiques and vintage stores.

Beyond that, the city has a very good Symphony that performs at a very active downtown theater (the Zeiterion) as well as the New Bedford Ballet. The local music scene is very good for a small city.

There are a number of big events that cater to the arts in NB like AHA (NB's version of First Friday Art Walks), Summerfest (folk festival) and Open Studios. New Bedford even has a number of artist live-work spaces like Ropeworks.

I agree 100% with you regarding the arts as a contributor to city growth. In New Bedford, the arts have been probably the biggest factor so far. In the past 5 years, the massive artist community has (I believe) been responsible for much of the other growth downtown (and beyond). NB opened up 42 storefronts downtown during the recession. Many (most) of those are restaurants and retail that cater to the more artsy crowd (craft beer bars, eclectic taquerias, skate shops, vintage boutiques, etc). Portland is often brought up as a model for NB due to the similarities between Portland's arts district (with the art school and museum) and downtown New Bedford.

^The arts are (relatively) huge in New Bedford. It's sort of the backbone of the city's revitalization (especially downtown). There's no "Arts District" per se (they consider all of downtown to be the "Arts and Cultural District"), but UMass Dartmouth's College of Art is located downtown and the bottom floor is a giant art gallery. There's also an Art Museum and the Whaling Museum frequently showcases period specific art as temporary exhibits. One of the best Non-profits in town is Artworks! a great community gallery downtown. There are around at least 13 art galleries (off the top of my head) open to the public downtown (a whole bunch more that are private all over the city) in addition to a number of independent fashion boutiques and vintage stores.

Beyond that, the city has a very good Symphony that performs at a very active downtown theater (the Zeiterion) as well as the New Bedford Ballet. The local music scene is very good for a small city.

There are a number of big events that cater to the arts in NB like AHA (NB's version of First Friday Art Walks), Summerfest (folk festival) and Open Studios. New Bedford even has a number of artist live-work spaces like Ropeworks.

I agree 100% with you regarding the arts as a contributor to city growth. In New Bedford, the arts have been probably the biggest factor so far. In the past 5 years, the massive artist community has (I believe) been responsible for much of the other growth downtown (and beyond). NB opened up 42 storefronts downtown during the recession. Many (most) of those are restaurants and retail that cater to the more artsy crowd (craft beer bars, eclectic taquerias, skate shops, vintage boutiques, etc). Portland is often brought up as a model for NB due to the similarities between Portland's arts district (with the art school and museum) and downtown New Bedford.

Wow, cool, so the city is looking up, that is great. when the economy improves I am sure the city will be doing even better.

New Bedford can take a lot of tips from Portland's revitalized city. Although New Bedford will never be a Portland due to it not being the mid sized scaled city Portalnd is, they are very similar in ways as far what its assets are.

I just went to Portland last night for the first time in 5 years and was really impressed with the progress of the city. Love what they did with the waterfront in using it more effectively to take advantage of the water views but at the same time, it seemed like a balanced waterfront allowing people to actually walk on the piers. With pedestrian scaled businesses the key to getting people to come walking on the water facing sidewalk. The selection in new nightlife/bars also seemed to have grown quite a bit since we were last there...

Looked awesome and proved once again that Portland is one of my top 5 favorite cities to visit...

New Bedford can take a lot of tips from Portland's revitalized city. Although New Bedford will never be a Portland due to it not being the mid sized scaled city Portalnd is, they are very similar in ways as far what its assets are.

It's funny, I was having a similar conversation last night. My buddy's fiance is from northern Maine (about 3.5 hours from Portland). She was talking about getting her mom a hotel in Portland so that she could go out for her birthday. I laughed and said that I couldn't imagine someone from 3.5 hours away getting a room in New Bedford for a night out. Not because New Bedford isn't a nice place, but because it's clearly a second tier regional city (anyone within 3.5 hours would choose Boston, Providence, New York, or even Newport over NB) while Portland is the obvious regional powerhouse up there. Despite the similar size (NB has 30,000 more people in a smaller footprint), Portland is in a different tier and NB can't get there.

I make the comparison because Portland has had to balance an active working waterfront with a boost in tourism. They have similar size populations, similar coastal locations and similar sized urban cores (though Portland has more office space due to being a regional center). People in NB are getting that they can learn a lot from Portland.

Back