New BRA website

bostoneophyte

Reaction score
The BRA will launch its new website in September and allow residents' comments on projects/developments: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/jamaica_plain/2013/08/boston_redevelopment_authority_to_launch_new_website_will_le.html

New features will allow users to buy copies of maps and other documents, including requests for bids, requests for proposals and requests for quotations.

Users will also be able to submit comments on planning initiatives and proposed projects and to track the status of planning initiatives and proposed projects.

Scanned copies of archived paper documents will be uploaded to the site.

“More public documents will be accessible online, offering visitors easy navigation to BRA Board agendas and videos, zoning maps, Article 80 filings, planning documents, and research reports,” the authority said. “All of these efforts will make the BRA even more accessible and transparent.”

At the meeting in mid-July, Grace also said the new site will also allow users to sign up for event alerts and other notifications. And, he said, the site will have a glossary that will define certain words and terms for users.

The BRA will launch its new website in September and allow residents' comments on projects/developments: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/jamaica_plain/2013/08/boston_redevelopment_authority_to_launch_new_website_will_le.html

Buy? Something that can be downloaded with zero overhead costs? The BRA is a public entity is it not? If they are going to make information electronically available, it should be at no charge. Hard copies are understandable, not soft ones.

Buy? Something that can be downloaded with zero overhead costs? The BRA is a public entity is it not? If they are going to make information electronically available, it should be at no charge. Hard copies are understandable, not soft ones.

Agreed. As of now I believe they have all kinds of free downloadable maps in autocad and other formats. I'd hate to see that change.

THANK GOD. The BRA's website is so antiquated.

Those resident comment threads are going to be a total shitshow though.

It sounds like ArchBoston 2.0, except our comments will be officially recognized by the city. I'm actually looking forward to the updated website and reading community feedback vs. hearing it in person. I always end up leaving BRA meetings with a big headache... It should become easier reading past any community BS.

It sounds like ArchBoston 2.0, except our comments will be officially recognized by the city. I'm actually looking forward to the updated website and reading community feedback vs. hearing it in person. I always end up leaving BRA meetings with a big headache... It should become easier reading past any community BS.

It will be like ArchBoston if it were invaded by dozens of NIMBY troll accounts...

^ That doesn't stop the NIMBYs at public meetings...

I suspect they will not allow commenters to use aliases or pseudonyms or avatar identities.

Why do you think that? What on the internet isn't anonymous? How would they vet a person's identity?

Why do you think that? What on the internet isn't anonymous? How would they vet a person's identity?

Because I suspect the comments they will allow to be posted will be similar to comments submitted for the project below. They have neither the time nor inclination to moderate forums such as this, particularly as they have to consider, and in many cases, respond to the comments they receive.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho... Retail Commons Compiled Comments 2-15-13.pdf

I've actually been working on a database that would supplement the board and serve as a permanent and exhaustive archive of information on individual projects. I planned on rolling it out slowly to test how much bandwidth it ate up and how much interest/participation it generated. Initially this BRA announcement took a bit of the wind out of my sails as far as working on the database, but I think ours will include enough extra content to not make it redundant. The BRA site could also serve as a great resource. Regardless, I'll continue to work on our database, and if it succeeds, it succeeds; if not, oh well.

Very cool, Briv. Thanks for that.

This is something I think many people have thought would be a great idea to do (I'm speaking for myself at least here). Good on you for being less lazy than us.

+1. I love rereading old threads such as claredon and 45 province and watching them rise again.

I really wonder what the comment section is going to be like. The Congress St. Garage thread on Facebook makes me shudder at the prospect.

Agreed. As of now I believe they have all kinds of free downloadable maps in autocad and other formats. I'd hate to see that change.

Hopefully they tap in and add significantly to the MassGIS database: http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-an...erv/office-of-geographic-information-massgis/. That thing has a growing number of land use and demographic layers significantly broadening its original bread-and-butter of geology/environmental data. The structure + tax parcel data is already extremely valuable around downtown. They could go hog wild fusing planning data into the existing conditions represented there. It's an impressively robust system to work with.

My initial impression is that it looks pretty good, but it's a little slow. Looking forward to poking around on it.

Very cool and intuitive, I just wish it would stop mistakenly opening project pages on me when I try to click outside the box to get rid of the pop-up.

Back