New England Conservatory Residence Hall | St. Botolph St. | Back Bay

TomOfBoston

Reaction score
I read this in the Globe today:
"...the school, which has a $30 million annual operating budget, hopes to launch the first phase of a $60 million construction project that will add a dorm and other upgrades to its campus."
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/artic...boston/?page=2

Any other info on this planned residence hall? I assume it will be built on the site of the parking lot on St. Botolph St. behind its current residence hall. The NEC website has no further details other than saying it will house 400 students.

Very, very cool. Thank you for posting!

Between this and NU's long-term residence hall plans, I think St. Botolph Street (west of Mass Ave) is finally getting a long-overdue facelift. Hopefully a few retail establishments will open along the stretch between Gainsborough and Mass Ave also.

For those that are to lazy to click the above link.....

23_NewEn_10.jpg

Reminds me of the Hynes Convention Center addition only with warm masonry instead of cold granite.

Judging from the 90s era cars in that rendering, I'd say that design is out of date. The Beha design is much more contemporary, and I assume it better represents the current iteration--except it seems to have been removed from the Beha site. Did anyone save a copy of the rendering?

Incidentally, many of the links posted in this thread are now dead. This seems to happen a lot to older links posted in threads. Because of this I think it's preferable to post a quoted copy of articles or at least the relevant bits along with the link. Likewise with renderings.

Speaking of colleges, dorms and hospitals -- just down the street a bit

Brigham eyes research building for Emmanuel College site

By Greg Turner
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - Added 3 days ago
Boston Herald
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1389969&srvc=next_article

Brigham and Women’s Hospital is seeking approval from city planners to demolish an Emmanuel College building to make way for a massive new research center at the edge of the Longwood Medical Area.

The hospital has been leasing Emmanuel’s Alumnae Hall at 75 Avenue Louis Pasteur but filed plans to replace the low-rise brick building with a 360,000-square-foot research facility.

Emmanuel would use the income from the project to construct a 475-student dorm on Brookline Avenue and expand its Cardinal Cushing Library facing the Fenway, according to the college’s master plan released in June.

I read through the whole PNF this afternoon. This plan is a real winner for NEC and Fenway residents. Great design, great planning, great for the student experience.

love the color but what are the odds we get that in real life without it looking cheap?

Two questions...

1. Which rendering are they building, the one in the Master Plan PDF, or the one that Shmessy posted above?

2. What exactly are they tearing down? The hideous large modern building that they show throughout the photos in the PDF, suggesting it will be torn down? The building (No. 290, presumably Huntington) that John posted above? Both?

[EDIT: Looking at the PDF, it seems they're tearing down both.]

And a comment...

I am hoping that the hideous modern building comes down, and that the older building (which actually looks fitting for an institution that wants to be respected) stays. However, that seems unlikely to happen.

If nothing else, I hope the hideous '60s bunker comes down. But the reality is that the building proposed in the PDF is effectively a newer version of that '60s bunker. They're both products of the same tired Modernism that the starved-for-ideas architectural geezers have been churning out for 60+ years. And in 30 years, the new building will lose its sparkle and likely will have aged as poorly as the current hulking NEC building. The school will then be forced to replace it once again; we can only hope that at that time something will have finally budged Modernism and its squares, rectangles, and dead spaces from its pole position.

^^ There is a parking lot on St. Botolph Street between 33 Gainsborough Street (the ugly "modern" building) and 241 St. Botolph Street (the nicer, 4-story institutional building).

Phase 1 of the master plan will be to construct a 10-story academic/residential building on that parking lot.

Phase 2 will commence once Phase 1 is complete; they will tear down 33 Gainsborough Street and connect a newer academic building on the same foot print that will connect to phase 1 on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Back