New England Conservatory Residence Hall | St. Botolph St. | Back Bay

MassDOT is tearing up the sidewalks as part of the Gainsborough project. That's why the front of the building only got temporary asphalt sidewalks and curbs. The St Botolph and Gainsborough intersection will become a raised intersection.

MassDOT is tearing up the sidewalks as part of the Gainsborough project. That's why the front of the building only got temporary asphalt sidewalks and curbs. The St Botolph and Gainsborough intersection will become a raised intersection.

What is a "raised intersection"?

What is a "raised intersection"?

The entire intersection is raised up to be flush with the sidewalk. It's essentially a gigantic speed bump. Drivers go slower, use more caution, and are encouraged to yield to pedestrians.

qMi2PVxh.jpg

There should only be one row of bricks between the yellow lines. Typical centerline is 4" line, 4" gap, 4" line. This has an 8" gap. So close to getting it right...

It's nice that they made the attempt though. Don't have to worry about restriping it!

Yeah, looks nice but not very durable. This gets a lot of car use...

The pavers are easily replaceable at least. Hopefully they got a couple of extra pallets of each color. I also think the car share is supposed to go down as a result of this project.

Yeah, looks nice but not very durable. This gets a lot of car use...

I thought the same for Kenmore, but it went in almost a decade ago, and last I was there, looked good. Tons of traffic there, and heavy buses.

Back