New England Conservatory Residence Hall | St. Botolph St. | Back Bay

The gradient looks freaking FANTASTIC, but it's really a facade treatment that should be applied to a taller building. I harp on this next point all the time here too - the windows actually have a sense of DEPTH (unlike so many other projects I've criticized). Overall, this is a great facade.

......FWIW, the Tree House is the opposite - it looks great from far away and cheap up close.

I actually think the Tree House looks great from everywhere. I love standing right by it and staring up at the funkiness.

This new building looks pretty good in person, but is not very noticeable from most angles, even up close. Too short to really stand out, positively or negatively. Nice filler for Huntington (or whatever street it's technically on).

i love the materials used. i especially love the glass section.

i think this could have been great. but the mixing of the materials isn't done well, imo.

i don't like the blending of the window pattern with the trim at all.

I actually think the Tree House looks great from everywhere.

awesome building.

Last edited:
20 years from now NEC will be paying for a new façade. Meanwhile East Village will still be a ho hum building that no one loves or hates except its residents who apparently love it.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for this one. This is objectively much better than East Village by almost every metric. (I'll hold on street level until it's complete.)

I don't mind it in general, but the tiles look like cedar shingles from far away. Not a good urban look...

I think it's interesting, and shows some gumption. FWIW, the Tree House is the opposite - it looks great from far away and cheap up close.

20 years from now NEC will be paying for a new façade. Meanwhile East Village will still be a ho hum building that no one loves or hates except its residents who apparently love it.

613 Baltic, Park Slope, Brooklyn....

Not a dorm. but, please Dear GOD, can we get some of this.....

Even better, as you can see from the above photo, the 95 year project to redo the tunnel under Mass Ave is just about finished.

Even better, as you can see from the above photo, the 95 year project to redo the tunnel under Mass Ave is just about finished.

Yes, nice to see it almost done.

The only thing I did not understand walking by recently is why the benches on the west side of the overpass are facing west out Huntington Avenue (and basically face you into the barricade railing)???

The view to the east toward Back Bay is much nicer.

Yes, nice to see it almost done.

The only thing I did not understand walking by recently is why the benches on the west side of the overpass are facing west out Huntington Avenue (and basically face you into the barricade railing)???

The view to the east toward Back Bay is much nicer.

I never quite understood presence of benches/landscaping here; clearly some good money was spent on making this island-in-an-intersection a pedestrian respite, but I pass by here all the time and I'll be surprised if I ever see anyone sitting on these benches. Some piece of public art or even an electronic billboard welcoming people to the Avenue of the Arts and listing events would make much more sense.

I never quite understood presence of benches/landscaping here; clearly some good money was spent on making this island-in-an-intersection a pedestrian respite, but I pass by here all the time and I'll be surprised if I ever see anyone sitting on these benches. Some piece of public art or even an electronic billboard welcoming people to the Avenue of the Arts and listing events would make much more sense.

ANYTHING is better than what was here before. This is a huge improvement I think. It did take forever but looks good.

Agreed, but I have seen someone sitting there fairly recently. It might be because, other than the Symphony Hall steps, there really isn't anywhere to sit near there.

those curved solar shades are stunning.

While there are bigger and flashier buildings currently going up, I think this building and 10 Farnsworth Street are the real gems of this cycle.

Back