New England Conservatory Residence Hall | St. Botolph St. | Back Bay

Liking all the different textures on this building (fixt).

Those are just girts to hold some other material. There might be more texture but do not assume it is until they clad this surface.

cca

One of the nicer urban academic building around. I wish the recent Berklee tower had cladding similar to this.

interesting today but 30 years from now there are those who will call it an abomination.

Boston City Hall was praised as a masterpiece of architecture in 1967! LOL

Eh, it was mostly hated by the pubic and loved by people in the architecture field, same as today.

The gradient effect is really cool, but better applied on a high rise. This facade would have looked great on something like the GrandMarc. Instead, it falls short, quite literally.

interesting today but 30 years from now there are those who will call it an abomination.

Boston City Hall was praised as a masterpiece of architecture in 1967! LOL

TomofBoston -- that was the view mostly of "Academic Architectural-trend sycophants"

There were plenty of people who didn't like it then -- many of them still don't

Generally, people only get so riled-up to call something an abomination if its the kind of work which evokes strong emotions [pro/con]

The gradient effect is really cool, but better applied on a high rise. This facade would have looked great on something like the GrandMarc. Instead, it falls short, quite literally.

True, but not many institutions are out there building high-rises, and developers don't want to take the risk.

It's what makes the Tree House so special.

Will have to check it out in person. In photos it looks gratuitously, needlessly, sadistically hideous.

No - it doesn't.

This is a solid addition.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for this one. This is objectively much better than East Village by almost every metric. (I'll hold on street level until it's complete.)

I don't mind it in general, but the tiles look like cedar shingles from far away. Not a good urban look. Up close they are fine.

I don't mind it in general, but the tiles look like cedar shingles from far away. Not a good urban look. Up close they are fine.

I think it's interesting, and shows some gumption. FWIW, the Tree House is the opposite - it looks great from far away and cheap up close.

Back