New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

Word on the street is that the stadium is going on UMass property.

I would be delighted if there is truth to this. I've always thought that the former Bayside Expo site would be the perfect location for a Revs stadium.

If the team President indeed said that they are far along on a stadium "in the urban core" I would take that to mean "in an urban location but not in Boston". If it was in Boston proper then he'd say so. Kind of like how every time they talk about a "New England man" on the local news you know he's not from Massachusetts.

Thats actually a really good idea, if Umass could use it when the revs are not it would be a win win for both, with some concerts sprinkled in between. That would also mean its a 5 minute walk from the JFK/Umass red line station.

What street is this word from? Where did you hear this? First time I've heard of UMass floated.

Also, HAPPY MLS OPENING DAY!!!

Any transportation benefit brought about by people pods could be easily replicated, if not bettered, by a few hubway stations and a reconfiguring of Kosciuszko Circle.

Please, god no, no PRT discussion in this thread.

Id like to remind everyone who posts in this god-forsaken thread...

Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium
By Scott Van Voorhis
Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Bayside Expo site would be an amazing location. I dropped in a comparable stadium model that I found (Swansea's Liberty Stadium; capacity of 20,750). It's such a huge site...plenty of space left over for parking or what not.

gYtLWtB.jpg

SM0SHu5.jpg

Nice! Perfect location with JFK/UMass right there. Access to and from 93. Plenty of room for parking/tailgating & development opportunities.

Nuke Morrissey Blvd. from orbit as part of the overall package and I'm sold.

...and walking distance from the Banshee!

Ray would love this - he'd be at capacity before every home game which is a far cry from how many people go down there for a lot of Rev matches now. It would great for the supporters groups (why do the Revs have two????) to have a nice bar to hangout at before the games and then do a large walk over to the stadium.

There would have to be major upgrades to that stretch of 93 and the Columbia Rd exit for those coming from the north. But apart from that this looks like a winning idea. Make it seat 23-25,000 with some space to add another 4-6,000 seats in the future and this thing would be a winner, imo.

There would have to be major upgrades to that stretch of 93 and the Columbia Rd exit for those coming from the north. But apart from that this looks like a winning idea. Make it seat 23-25,000 with some space to add another 4-6,000 seats in the future and this thing would be a winner, imo.

That could be done pretty easily by extending the frontage road from Southampton to Columbia. Easy on the NB side where Von Hillen St. can be cannibalized for it. Tight squeeze on the SB side (probably have to relocate the Polish American Citizen's Club on Boston St.) but doable if the two overhead bridges had their pegs re-spaced to laterally re-align the whole Expressway for optimal fit.

The current frontages have one big flaw: too abrupt a traffic dump onto 93S after Mass Ave. Connector. It's why South Bay has random slowdowns persisting well into the mid-day off-peak, and certain times on the weekend. Frontage NB does a more successful job staggering out the traffic than Frontage SB with more slip ramps and cross street options. Extra length and another intermediate set of slip ramps probably spreads things out enough to solve that persistent knot. As well as getting more thru traffic (esp. trucks) off Dorchester residential streets by discouraging lazy shortcutting around that Southampton flow knot.

Of course, MassDOT's official proposal is to just eat all that space for more HOV expansion...which does nothing for the knot and nothing for the neighborhood streets that take it on the chin because of the frontage's too-abrupt end.

Also, the Boston Cannons moved from playing at Harvard Stadium to playing at Gillette. Pro lacrosse is definitely a lot smaller than MLS, especially in Gillette. The Cannons had been on of the league leaders in attendance and I'd expect a decline, they pretty much lose all the north shore lax kids/families in going to foxboro, plus playing with 65000 empty seats destroys atmosphere.

I can't help but think that that move came with some agreement on future soccer stadium and getting it back towards the core with better facilities.

Also, the Boston Cannons moved from playing at Harvard Stadium to playing at Gillette. Pro lacrosse is definitely a lot smaller than MLS, especially in Gillette. The Cannons had been on of the league leaders in attendance and I'd expect a decline, they pretty much lose all the north shore lax kids/families in going to foxboro, plus playing with 65000 empty seats destroys atmosphere.

I can't help but think that that move came with some agreement on future soccer stadium and getting it back towards the core with better facilities.

The Cannons play in Harvard Stadium. They only played at Gillette for one season, last year.

The latest stadium rumor...

New England Revolution owner Bob Kraft still wants to build a soccer stadium in Boston, and the latest site under consideration is the former Bayside Expo Center in Dorchester now owned by University of Massachusetts, according to several people briefed on the matter.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-dorchester/aM8JJ8w0Qq6lmx3vE1gyiK/story.html

This is the best possible location to put it that has a realistic chance of happening.

Could work for umass games between soccer/concerts.

The Bayside Expo site would be an amazing location. I dropped in a comparable stadium model that I found (Swansea's Liberty Stadium; capacity of 20,750). It's such a huge site...plenty of space left over for parking or what not.

gYtLWtB.jpg

SM0SHu5.jpg

Ding ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Back