New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

A map would be helpful, because I can't picture a vacant parcel at Inner Belt of sufficient size to hold the stadium.

I thought Jimbo had a good one!

It would be more interesting if this soccer stadium could double as a tennis tournament venue. Boston used to be a player in the world of pro tennis.

It would be more interesting if this soccer stadium could double as a tennis tournament venue. Boston used to be a player in the world of pro tennis.

I don't think tennis and soccer would work well in the same structure, with the size of the playing areas being extremely different. However, they could do like the Home Depot Center and build separate soccer and tennis stadiums at the same site.

homedepot_photo.jpg

That's a good illustration of your point. I was thinking that you could set up two or three courts side by side straddling the field, with the A matches on the end courts where most of the seating would be.

Do we really need another stadium? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just keep the Revs at Gillette and save some of that steel for something more important? What about using Harvard stadium (maybe after a few upgrades)?

Half of Major League Soccer?s fourteen teams already play in soccer-specific stadiums. Out of the seven remaining teams, two have stadiums underway and five are in the planning stages, some further ahead than others. The Revolution very well could be the last MLS team playing in a stadium designed for some other sport. I don?t think the Krafts would want to have that distinction for long. The Revs are currently the best team in the MLS and they deserve a world-class stadium.

Here is the rundown of soccer-specific stadiums:

Built Stadiums

Home Depot Center

Home of the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA

Capacity: 27,000

Cost: $150 Million

Opened: 2003

homedepot2ab2.jpg
homedepotcenter1lh2.jpg

Toyota Park

Home of the Chicago Fire

Capacity: 20,000 (soccer) / 28,000(concerts)

Cost: $98 Million

Opened: 2006

toyotapark3nc9.jpg
toyotapark2fs0.jpg

Dick's Sporting Goods Park

Home of the Colorado Rapids

Capacity: 18,086 (soccer) / 26,000 (concert)

Cost: $131 Million

Opened: 2007

dicks1fp6.jpg
dicks3ra9.jpg

Pizza Hut Park

Home of FC Dallas

Capacity: 20,500

Cost: $80 Million

Opened: 2005

pizzahut2wh1.jpg
pizzahut1ne8.jpg
pizzahut1ne8.jpg

BMO Field

Home of Toronto FC

Capacity: 20,148

Cost: C$69 Million

Opened: 2007

bmofield2ij1.jpg
bmofield1ns4.jpg

Columbus Crew Stadium

Home of the Columbus Crew

Capacity: 22,555

Cost: $28.5 Million

Opened: 1999

columbuscrew2rm6.jpg
columbuscrew1tb1.jpg

Stadiums under construction

Real Salt Lake Stadium

Future home of Real Salt Lake

Capacity: 22,168

Cost: $115 Million

Opening Date:

realsaltlake1wt1.jpg
realsaltlake2qv7.jpg

Red Bull Park

Future home of the NY Red Bulls

Capacity: 25,189

Cost: $180-200 Million

Opening Date: 2009

redbullpark1ty2.jpg
redbullparkol9.jpg

Future Stadiums (in various planning stages)

Poplar Point Stadium

Future home of D.C. United

Capacity: 27,000

Cost: $150 Million

Opening Date:
?

poplarpoint4yx3.jpg

Kansas City Wizards Stadium

Capacity: 20,000 ? 22,000

Cost: $143 Million

Opening Date: ?

Houston Dynamo Stadium

Capacity: 22,000

Cost: ~$80 Million

San Jose Earthquakes Stadium

Capacity: 22,000 ? expandable to 30,000

Cost: ?

Chester Stadium

Future home of Philadelphia MLS expansion team

Capacity: 20,000

Cost: $115 Million

Opening Date: 2010 ?

chesterstadium1vb8.jpg

Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium

Future home of Vancouver Whitecaps (USL-1 team), possible future MLS expansion team

Capacity: 15,000 ? expandable to 30,000

Cost: $70 Million

whitecaps2bg3.jpg
whitecaps1uh8.jpg

Do we really need another stadium? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just keep the Revs at Gillette and save some of that steel for something more important?

Is it efficient to use a 68,000 seat stadium for games that draw an average of 16,000? Also, I wouldn't have to drive to Foxborough any more. ;)

What about using Harvard stadium (maybe after a few upgrades)?
You're joking, right?

The Patriots have played in Harvard Stadium, so I'm not sure what's so outlandish about the Revolution using it too.

Wow. These are nice. Where is the money coming from? It seemed to this non-fan that MLS slots somewhere between the NHL and the Arena Football League. This must be a more profitable business than I imagined!

As for using Harvard Stadium, I'll bet Harvard wouldn't want anything to do with it. They only tolerated the Boston Patriots, and then bounced them. Braves Field would be a better bet in terms of size and availability.

The Patriots have played in Harvard Stadium, so I'm not sure what's so outlandish about the Revolution using it too.

The Boston Patriots played in Fenway Park, too. Maybe Mr. Kraft could work something out with Henry, Lucchino & Werner.

Much less likely, given the large overlap between Red Sox and Revs seasons.

Wow. These are nice. Where is the money coming from? It seemed to this non-fan that MLS slots somewhere between the NHL and the Arena Football League. This must be a more profitable business than I imagined!

As for using Harvard Stadium, I'll bet Harvard wouldn't want anything to do with it. They only tolerated the Boston Patriots, and then bounced them. Braves Field would be a better bet in terms of size and availability.

Ah, Braves Field. I forgot about that one. Honestly, as much as I like the Revs, I think it will be a complete waste of time and energy to build a brand new stadium when we already have options. Does the commuter rail run during Revs games?

The Boston Cannons Lacrosse team plays in Harvard Stadium now. They landed there after being at BU and in Lowell. They draw about 9,000+ a game now (a number that has rose every year). I think a top of the line soccer stadium would double as a great lacrosse field on weekends when the MLL plays. Mr. Kraft sure wouldn't turn away the revenue. Between concerts and games there I could see this being used as a booked, world class venue between April and October each year. I hope it all goes through and is not skimped on.

Ah, Braves Field. I forgot about that one. Honestly, as much as I like the Revs, I think it will be a complete waste of time and energy to build a brand new stadium when we already have options.
The only realistic option besides a new soccer stadium is to stay at Gillette. The Revolution are not going to play at some rinky dink college field. That's just silly. The Krafts obviously believe a new soccer stadium is not a waste of time and energy as they've already dropped a few hundred thousand on a study. Most Revolution fans believe it is not a waste either. Soccer only has room to grow in the U.S. and if the Revs as a franchise want to be taken seriously, a new stadium is the only way to go.

Does the commuter rail run during Revs games?
No, only to Pats games.

Harvard Stadium is not "rinky dink", but the current configuration of Nickerson (formerly Braves) Field certainly is.

Harvard Stadium is not "rinky dink"

In terms of capacity, no. But it is most certainly rinky dink in terms of facilities, ammenities and overall stadium quality compared to all the MLS stadiums I posted on the previous page.

Ah, Braves Field. I forgot about that one. Honestly, as much as I like the Revs, I think it will be a complete waste of time and energy to build a brand new stadium when we already have options. Does the commuter rail run during Revs games?

Why dont we stick the red Sox in gilette while were at it?

Hell, throw some water on the pitch and the bruins could play there too.

The revs dont even play low-attendance non-league games at harvard or BU, they play in New Britain, Connecticut. A college stadium is out of the question.

MLS is slightly below the NHL in terms of revenue and attendance, but the NHL has twice as many teams.

MLS teams make money in stadiums they own. DC United, which is the sole tenant of RFK wants to move because playing in someone elses stadium doesnt work financially. Besides paying rent, they dont get any concession or parking money.

Why dont we stick the red Sox in gilette while were at it?

Hell, throw some water on the pitch and the bruins could play there too.

The Celtics and Bruins share an arena, without a problem. I just don't see the need for a new soccer stadium. Tell me, what is the problem with having the Revs play at Gillette? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Kraft own the Revs team? Does seem like there would be a problem paying rent at Gillette...

One problem is that Foxboro is remote from the Brazilians and other immigrants who could be expected to support an MLS team.

Back