New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

I agree that it is smarter to have a team in Boston than Providence. But at the same time, you have to acknowledge that it is smarter to have a team in Providence than in Foxborough (with all else equal, which it is not). It would be silly to move an MLS team from Boston to Providence, just like it would be silly to move a team from Boston to Foxborough. On the other hand, what would be the loss of moving a team from Foxborough to Providence?

I disagree. At least while the Revs are in Foxboro, they can draw on both Providence and Boston markets. If they move the Prov (a city I love), they will be considerably reducing their appeal to those in the Boston market. A friend of mine lives in Newburyport. He drives down to Foxboro for several Revs games each season. If they moved the additional half hour south, I seriously doubt he'd make the trip more than once or twice a year. If at all.

The Revs would do much better if it moved north rather than south.

Providence won the Big East this year and made the NCAA Tournament. You could have picked any of the previous ten years to dump on them, but oops! Turns out they were actually good this year.

That said, and with good reason, obviously nobody in Boston cares what is happening in the Providence sports media market.

Well, we all know what Data looks like, since he was logged into his Google account when doing the map screen shots :)

Providence won the Big East this year and made the NCAA Tournament. You could have picked any of the previous ten years to dump on them, but oops! Turns out they were actually good this year.

That said, and with good reason, obviously nobody in Boston cares what is happening in the Providence sports media market.
I know, but it was such low hanging fruit. That and the Big East really doesn't exist in my eyes anymore with all the major defections. Then UConn blew all our minds....

One issue is you're assuming the Revs continue to be broadcast on CSN after a move to Providence. CSN aren't currently broadcasting something like UConn basketball (one of the most successful college teams in the country mind you), so why would they broadcast a team that's not only less popular than the college basketball they already aren't showing, but is also now in a town 1+ hour drive away?

How is this even comparable? College sports and the NCAA racket are a completely different animal to any major league organization, and is one more obstacle in a minefield of legal agreements and broadcasting rights. I don't think we can say for certain whether or not CSN wants the UConn broadcast rights but there's a very real possibility that they do, and are being barred from acquiring them by some combination of the NCAA and ESPN.

And what are CSN's advertisers going to think? Are they going to keep paying the same amount to run ads? I mean, you and I know it's not that far, but if you're paying for ad time and someone says to you "it's basically the same place, but an hour away" are you going to want to pay the same price or ask for a discount? And if CSN takes a hit on ad revenue, what then? What if they drop the Revs? Is anyone going to pick them up if little CSN can't make the numbers work?

The physical distance between your house and the stadium has zero impact on a network's ability to broadcast that game. In fact, there's a certain argument the broadcast ratings are more valuable to a franchise than even actual butts in stadium seats. Have you seen the size of TV contracts recently?

In fact, because Providence has no major league identity and no major league team to call their own, the market in Providence is very much wide open for the Revs to actually corner the market. No matter where they go in Boston, no matter how popular soccer gets, they're never going to be the runaway #1 team - but they can have that #1 status in Providence. The market is theirs to take. That's worth far more than whatever perceived negative value is attached to the broadcast location moving some 20-25 miles.

Again, why would MLS leave the big bucks of Boston for the relative small bucks of Providence? Who's filling those luxury boxes in Providence? Which corporations are springing for pricy season seats? Who's paying to advertise on the shirt, Dels?

Ha ha, of course, Dels is literally the only notable thing from Rhode Island ever in the whole entire history of the state.

Oh, wait...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Companies_based_in_Rhode_Island

Here's some names you might recognize:
  • Alex and Ani
  • Amica Mutual Insurance
  • Citizens Financial Group, Inc.
  • CVS Caremark Corporation
  • Gilbane
  • Hasbro, Inc.
And the idea that Boston's current market for soccer is weak is besides the point if even true. The idea is growth. Where's the growth in Providence?

Providence is enjoying the rising tide of urbanism lifting all boats just as much as Boston is. The city is far from perfect, but it is very much an active and lively place to be - a renaissance city and the "creative capital." It has some big name universities of its own (Brown, RISD), a fun cultural identity, and clam cakes (the greatest thing ever created on the face of this planet).

But don't just take my waxing poetic at face value, look at it by the numbers:
http://www.providencejournal.com/br...irst-population-growth-in-nearly-a-decade.ece
http://www.city-data.com/city/Providence-Rhode-Island.html
http://www.areavibes.com/providence-ri/demographics/
http://www.clrsearch.com/Providence-Demographics/RI/Quality-of-Life

Personally, I'd argue Boston's current market for soccer is incredibly strong, it's just not being met by the half assed Revs organization. Football at Fenway sells out, and the bars are packed during WC with a few even packing people in on Saturday morning. The issue is that the Revs aren't currently providing what people are looking for. Actually provide the service the soccer consuming public wants, and if the media still doesn't respond, then I'll concede your point. That's not happening though.

A new stadium isn't going to fix the organizational problems with the Revs.

I mean, I understand the idea that they have land and we don't, and that they aren't "that far" from us, but the economics of running a major league sports franchise, even for MLS, just don't add up. MLS needs to maintain the best possible presence in major media markets to squeeze top advertising and TV deal dollars, and they need to be in a position to entice as many big spenders (often corporate) as possible to buy luxury boxes, season tickets, etc. That's just not happening if you move to Providence, regardless of the space to build a nice stadium.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Except, it's a one-way street. Sure, people in Providence, Worcester, and Springfield can get Boston media. I'm sure they're well informed about what's going on in Boston.

The major Boston media outlets don't give two craps about anything outside of 495. Or to put this another way, when was the last time a Boston TV station showed Providence College basketball highlights?

Rhode Island Day at Fenway Park, the Providence Bruins, the Pawtucket Red Sox (PawSox do, in fact, get some measure of air time on NESN - such as last night) are immediate examples of Boston giving a crap about what's going on in Rhode Island. In terms of non-sports news, the local affiliates in all of these cities have incredibly good working relationships with each other.

See above re: Providence College.

When was the last time Providence College basketball had a highlight?

Ouch. Harsh.

I disagree. At least while the Revs are in Foxboro, they can draw on both Providence and Boston markets. If they move the Prov (a city I love), they will be considerably reducing their appeal to those in the Boston market. A friend of mine lives in Newburyport. He drives down to Foxboro for several Revs games each season. If they moved the additional half hour south, I seriously doubt he'd make the trip more than once or twice a year. If at all.

The Revs would do much better if it moved north rather than south.

For every guy like that in Newburyport or Gloucester or Fitchburg, there's somebody in Plymouth or New Bedford or Cranston who might be attending the games in Foxborough but would never attend the games in Boston.

CBS - can we assume you grew up in RI?

The physical distance between your house and the stadium has zero impact on a network's ability to broadcast that game. In fact, there's a certain argument the broadcast ratings are more valuable to a franchise than even actual butts in stadium seats. Have you seen the size of TV contracts recently?
A) I said that the TV contract was one of if not the most important financial consideration, so we're in agreement there; but B) you really think ad revenue, aka the deciding factor if CSN continues to carry the Revs, wouldn't be impacted by moving farther from Boston? If distance made no difference in ad revenue, only the product, then Buffalo's CBS affiliate would be taking in just as much ad revue during NFL broadcasts as New York City's CBS affiliate.

CBS - can we assume you grew up in RI?

Absolutely, I did, and I do still live in RI. Even if I get down on the state sometimes, it's a nice place and it will always be my home.

But you can also assume that I don't even like soccer and have no real dog in this fight, except for wanting stronger ties between Providence and Boston, and wanting the most and best possible usage for that stadium above and beyond hosting between 17 and 21 MLS games per season. And I maintain that the stadium will never be used to its full capacity (and I very much doubt that the Revs would ever reach their full potential) in Boston. It would be in Providence.

A) I said that the TV contract was one of if not the most important financial consideration, so we're in agreement there; but B) you really think ad revenue, aka the deciding factor if CSN continues to carry the Revs, wouldn't be impacted by moving farther from Boston? If distance made no difference in ad revenue, only the product, then Buffalo's CBS affiliate would be taking in just as much ad revue during NFL broadcasts as New York City's CBS affiliate.

No, I don't believe that the ad revenue would be at all impacted by moving farther from Boston. I do believe that it's only the product that matters.

I can't find the breakdown on CBS ad revenue by local affiliates during NFL games (although it'd be a fascinating statistic to have), but according to Forbes, the Bills draw in $79 of revenue per fan compared to the Jets/Giants at $16 and $18 respectively. I also don't profess to be a huge fan of football, but from polling some football-watchers around campus, it seems the Bills are known to have a "not very good" product, reinforcing my point.

Before responding I will state that I live in Somerville and would love it if the Revs move to Somerville. I haven't been to a game in years, but if I could get to a Revs game easily without driving, I would start going to some games. You could say I have a dog in the fight in the way that it would be better for me if the Revs moved to Somerville/Revere/urban_core_of_Boston. With that being said, here is my take:

The loss is: A) at least being in Foxboro gets you into the Boston media market; and B) moving the team to Providence means you didn't move it to Boston, which is a major, major opportunity cost. And that doesn't even get into the question of why MLS would want to be in a media market that's A) smaller than Buffalo and B) doesn't show any signs of growth. Especially if it means abandoning the big bucks in Boston.

I disagree wholeheartedly with "A) at least being in Foxboro gets you into the Boston media market." There is little to no coverage or interest in the Revs in Boston compared to other MLS teams. You go to Philadelphia and the Union have comparable coverage to the other teams. Seeing a Union jersey is not novelty, but rather it is just as notable as seeing an Eagles, Phillies, 76ers or Flyers jersey. I'm sure the same could be said for Seattle, Los Angeles, Portland, Montreal or Vancouver. That can not be said for Boston. The revs are an afterthought. The idea that the Revolution are a part of the Boston media market is arbitrary at best, and blatantly false at worse. It is simply misleading, as the Revolution do not receive the exposure, coverage, or interest necessary to be actually benefiting very much from being part of the Boston media market. At least they are receiving no more benefit than they would from being a focal point of the Providence media market.

I 100% agree with point "B) moving the team to Providence means you didn't move it to Boston." This is the argument that could sway me. The opportunity cost of moving the team to Providence instead of Boston is real. Don't confuse their current location for Boston, though.

Here's why I think you are wrong: I believe your friend is not representative of the majority of potential Revolution fans. I believe I am representative of the majority (an urban sports fan who would go to games and support the team if it were closer/accessible via public transportation/a part of the urban area that I am in). If you disagree with me on this point, then this argument is falling on deaf ears. We will not see eye-to-eye, and that's fine. But I believe that the majority of potential fans are teenagers/college students/young professionals/immigrants/graduate students/young families living in an urban or semi-urban setting. These people (me included) would go to games, and increase interest in and coverage of the team, if they were to relocate within the Boston urban core, with good transit access in an interesting neighborhood/city. The Providence version of these people would go to games, and increase interest in and coverage of the team, if the Revs were to relocate within the Providence urban core.

While I agree with underground that the opportunity cost is a deterrent to exploring a move to Providence, I want to support Providence in this argument. If the team's two options were to continue to play in Foxborough or move to an urban stadium in Providence, Providence is a clear winner in my mind.

This discussion is getting ridiculous. Seattle puts 40,000 butts in the seats of their downtown stadium. New York is establishing a second team in subway-connected Yankee Stadium. MLS is growing year. Providence would leave a TREMENDOUS amount of money on the table. Why move the Pats there while we are at it?

In the short term, the Revs are not going anywhere. In the long term, they are moving to metro Boston with rapid transit access. Kraft is not an idiot. The team will move at time and to a place where it will make more money for him than it does right now in Foxborough. Some other location with a big parking lot is not going to significantly increase attendance from what they already pull. Only an URBAN location is going to make a big enough difference to justify the cost of the stadium.

Gosh, fattony, you're absolutely right!

Providence isn't an urban location at all! It's secretly actually a suburb with no mass transit to speak of!

Gosh, all my life I've been living a lie! How could I have been so blind?

...Only an URBAN location is going to make a big enough difference to justify the cost of the stadium.

You mean like Somerville? Or Providence? Or Revere? I agree.

according to Forbes, the Bills draw in $79 of revenue per fan compared to the Jets/Giants at $16 and $18 respectively.
This doesn't pass the sniff test at all. You're claiming that the Bills, who are actively seeking to move from Buffalo because they're doing so poorly financially, are not only out earning BOTH NYC franchises (who note, aren't planning AT ALL to move), but out earning them 4-5x?! If that was true, why try to move the Bills? Sounds to me like they're actively the greatest cash cow of all time! I mean hell, you could own a shit team in a shit stadium in a struggling city and earn 4-5x the amount the two teams in NYC make? That's officially the greatest business opportunity ever. It's probably more likely that despite earning a lot less than the NYJs and NYGs, Buffalo has far fewer fans. In that case, we'll need to see the total ad revenue for each, not ad revenue per capita fan.

Last edited:

This whole argument is getting pretty silly. I know Rhode Islanders feel the need to compensate for their small size, but Providence vs Boston, seriously?

Being the number one team in Providence would still generate less revenue than being the #4 team in Boston. Its the same reason you don't have the Garden State Giants or the NJ Jets. If Providence wasn't so close to Boston sure it makes sense to locate a major sports team there. But it's perpetually in Boston's shadow, and nothing is changing that.

There is also national, and multinational appeal to consider. Half the people in our country probably couldn't find Providence on a map. I lived in NY and was only aware of it from road signs. Outside this country, probably no one. EVERYONE knows Boston.

Providence vs Boston, seriously?

My final point, simply to address this straw-man argument. I am arguing for Providence in the Foxborough vs Providence argument. I have been very clear that I would not take them moving to Providence over moving to Boston. Read the posts. I have been stating all along that I think Providence would be better than Foxborough. No more. No less. It was going quite civilly with underground and aquaman. Please don't introduce a straw-man into the equation.

My final point, simply to address this straw-man argument. I am arguing for Providence in the Foxborough vs Providence argument. I have been very clear that I would not take them moving to Providence over moving to Boston. Read the posts. I have been stating all along that I think Providence would be better than Foxborough. No more. No less. It was going quite civilly with underground and aquaman. Please don't introduce a straw-man into the equation.

Its the same argument. Either they are moving to Boston/Revere/Somerville or they are staying at Gillette. The only way I could see a move to Providence or another second tier city would be if the city paid for a new stadium. Even then I don't know of the Revs would actually move.

I think if Providence wants another professional sports venue then they should try to get the Red Sox to move their AAA affiliate to town or see if anyone local wants to start up an NASL franchise.

Going back to what Mike Ross said in the Globe a few pages back, is there actually anywhere in the Seaport District to put a soccer specific stadium? I think some people just assume that their is more room in the area to put new development but maybe Mike Ross knows something we don't?

This doesn't pass the sniff test at all. You're claiming that the Bills, who are actively seeking to move from Buffalo because they're doing so poorly financially, are not only out earning BOTH NYC franchises (who note, aren't planning AT ALL to move), but out earning them 4-5x?! If that was true, why try to move the Bills? Sounds to me like they're actively the greatest cash cow of all time! I mean hell, you could own a shit team in a shit stadium in a struggling city and earn 4-5x the amount the two teams in NYC make? That's officially the greatest business opportunity ever. It's probably more likely that despite earning a lot less than the NYJs and NYGs, Buffalo has far fewer fans. In that case, we'll need to see the total ad revenue for each, not ad revenue per capita fan.

I'm not claiming anything, that's all Forbes.

But you misinterpreted the point. The point was that the Bills out-earn the Jets and Giants combined per fan - but overall value wise, the Bills are a little better than half the value of either "NY" team. The obvious conclusion is that there are less Bills fans out there than there are fans of either NY team, yet the value of each Bills "fan" to the franchise is far greater. Why that is, I can't tell you, but I can suggest that it indicates one of two possibilities: either the value of teams is fixed based on values other than straight population (see the shitty product theory), or the correlation between the two is negative (unlikely.)

This whole argument is getting pretty silly. I know Rhode Islanders feel the need to compensate for their small size, but Providence vs Boston, seriously?

Being the number one team in Providence would still generate less revenue than being the #4 team in Boston. Its the same reason you don't have the Garden State Giants or the NJ Jets. If Providence wasn't so close to Boston sure it makes sense to locate a major sports team there. But it's perpetually in Boston's shadow, and nothing is changing that.

So far, it's only been the Providence opponents who are trying to spin this as a Providence vs Boston thing. I've said and I maintain that the relationship is absolutely like Baltimore and Washington, that this is not competing markets, and that the "move" is not an abandonment of the Boston market. They're absolutely linked markets and linked cities, even if one is much larger than the other.

There is also national, and multinational appeal to consider. Half the people in our country probably couldn't find Providence on a map. I lived in NY and was only aware of it from road signs. Outside this country, probably no one. EVERYONE knows Boston.

They will always be the New England Revolution, just like how New York City's football teams are both the "New York _____" and the MLS franchise is the New York Red Bulls (and Yankees FC be damned those guys aren't changing their name) despite all of them being in Jersey. Nobody outside of this country knows or cares where the Meadowlands or Harrison are, either.

Its the same argument. Either they are moving to Boston/Revere/Somerville or they are staying at Gillette. The only way I could see a move to Providence or another second tier city would be if the city paid for a new stadium. Even then I don't know of the Revs would actually move.

The franchise is literally being choked to death in Gillette. You want to talk about shadows? Instead of leveraging the joint ownership as is done in Seattle, the Revs are suffocating and drowning under the weight of Pats Nation. The Krafts, without whom MLS doesn't exist, are being reviled as the league's very worst owners. In response to this, they appear to have gotten more serious about moving, and yet - somehow - by all accounts, the city of Boston is rebuking them.

Could it be that my point and my argument is actually valid? Maybe it really is the case that the Krafts want to move and Boston doesn't want the Krafts to move in. Maybe the needs of the city come before the needs of a sports franchise, and maybe there will never be a soccer stadium in Boston unless and until the interests of the city coincide with that of the franchise.

And maybe, just maybe, in spite of all that, there's another city that has strong and close ties to Boston. In that city, many of the challenges facing the prospect of new venue space in Boston and of establishing a physical presence and cultural foothold for the soccer team just aren't there. Just maybe, in Providence, the city would be far less resistant to a stadium and far more open to a partnership.

If that's the case, then the "opportunity cost" is not "move to Boston right now or move to Providence right now," its actually "move to Providence right now or do nothing, waiting and hoping that conditions change and the forecast improves in Boston."

And if its the latter, then how long are you willing to wait? Even knowing that very real damage is being done to the Revs franchise and MLS itself by the Gillette arrangement, how many years of no plans and no action and no willingness for a stadium in Boston or any of its border communities are you willing to endure? 10? 20? 30? Indefinitely?

Is Providence such an awful place compared to Boston that you'd rather have the Revs suffering through their 50th year of being second class citizens in their own home before you'd be willing to eat the "opportunity cost" of moving to Providence? How many years of insisting that a move to Boston is definitely going to happen before we're forced to accept that it probably isn't going to happen any time soon?

If you opened a stadium in Providence tomorrow (which would have been easily possible if plans had been in place by 2010) and Boston doesn't become open and receptive to a downtown relocation of the Revs until 2034, the Providence stadium would have seen 20 years of active use before Boston even said "yeah, we've decided we actually want you guys in town after all" - never mind establishing a plan and getting shovels in the ground. And since Providence needs more venue space, the stadium wouldn't need to be torn down even after the Revs were moved out by the start of the 2040 season.

Now imagine what the Revs are going to look like over that same 20 year stretch if they spend every season playing backup to and being overshadowed by the Patriots, with the Krafts making regular overtures to and being summarily rejected by the city, all the while sinking further and further into irrelevancy and dragging MLS down with them.

Is that really better in your mind than allowing them a shot to grow and flourish in Providence, even if temporarily?

I think if Providence wants another professional sports venue then they should try to get the Red Sox to move their AAA affiliate to town or see if anyone local wants to start up an NASL franchise.

Pawtucket is Providence's Somerville. There's no point in moving the PawSox.

Going back to what Mike Ross said in the Globe a few pages back, is there actually anywhere in the Seaport District to put a soccer specific stadium? I think some people just assume that their is more room in the area to put new development but maybe Mike Ross knows something we don't?

You could tear down the Pavilion and put it there, maybe with some adjacent land acquisition and serious help to Silver Line Way.

Other than that? Probably not.

Back