New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

Can we just change the name of this thread to Somewhere Soccer Stadium?

My main issue with putting any stadium right ON the waterfront (ie: the BOA pavilion site) is that it seems like a tremendous waste to have an inward facing venue on a site with such outward facing views. It would make for some great flyover shots, but that's it. Put it further inland and leave the stuff right on the water for residential. I'd say a perfect parcel would be just south of the Pavilion where the pike is briefly exposed, bounded by the Haul Road. Move the state police headquarters and build over that whole thing.

Bonus: direct service via Silver Line way. Perhaps fixing the D street crossing could be part of the project.

I like that idea. I always wondered why they left the pit opened. was it necessary for construction access? I don't imagine it's still necessary.

I like that idea. I always wondered why they left the pit opened. was it necessary for construction access? I don't imagine it's still necessary.

I've heard that the exposure somehow helps with flood prevention, but I have no idea if that's true.

Wasn't that always planned as the "Core Block"? The idea was that space was valuable enough that they could get a developer to deck and build above it without subsidies. Meanwhile, back on planet earth, Waterside Place is the only part of the Core Block that's been developed and that was on terra firma and appears to have been built as cheaply as possible.

Just to be clear: the idea of a stadium on the Pavilion site is this board's only, and not something that's really on the table, correct?

Wasn't that always planned as the "Core Block"? The idea was that space was valuable enough that they could get a developer to deck and build above it without subsidies. Meanwhile, back on planet earth, Waterside Place is the only part of the Core Block that's been developed and that was on terra firma and appears to have been built as cheaply as possible.

Need an open air boat section at either end of a submerged tunnel to facilitate ventilation - the underharbor tunnels (Ted +1a) will always have them because the existing length without open-air ventilation (mechanical or otherwise) is so long.

In other words, you don't want to go further than necessary to a place where smoke can escape in volume - otherwise the fan capacity you need gets big, fast.

Also - the core block is east of D, where the tunnel is already "decked".

Just to be clear: the idea of a stadium on the Pavilion site is this board's only, and not something that's really on the table, correct?

AFAIK nothing specific has been made public about a seaport stadium, just vague rumblings from City Hall and the media.

Yeah, Shep I just mentioned it because I thought it could double as an outdoor concert venue in the city.

UHH... so remember that conversation about the Revs moving to Rhode Island?!
There are people actually talking about it:

Officials want New England Revolution to move to RI
By Dan McGowan, WPRI.com Reporter
Published: July 1, 2014, 4:58 pmUpdated: July 1, 2014, 5:15 pm

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – With all eyes on the World Cup, officials in two Rhode Island cities said Tuesday they’ve discussed the possibility of bringing the New England Revolution soccer franchise to the state.

A spokeswoman for Providence Mayor Angel Taveras confirmed to WPRI.com that the city’s economic development director “has had preliminary discussions with officials from the New England Revolution” while Central Falls Mayor James Diossa said he spoke personally to team president Brian Bilello about a move.

“I’ve heard they were interested from moving from Gillette [Stadium] and I made a call to the president and expressed the interest of the city in bringing them here,” Diossa told WPRI.com.

Diossa, who won a state championship as a soccer player at Central Falls High School, said Bilello was “receptive” to the idea, but made no commitments. He said he hopes to meet with team officials for further discussion.

A spokesperson for the Revolution did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

So why would the Revolution want to make a move?

The majority of Major League Soccer’s 19 franchises play in soccer-specific stadiums that were built or renovated with MLS ownership involvement, according to the league’s website. The Revolution, which plays on the same field as the New England Patriots and is owned by Robert and Jonathan Kraft, is one of four teams that play in a football stadium.

A Boston Magazine article published earlier this year labeled the Krafts the “worst owners in the league” for allowing the Revolution to “toil in obscurity.” The article went on to criticize the team’s poor attendance numbers at Gillette Stadium, arguing that the stadium’s size creates a “lifeless atmosphere.”

The team has also been a limited success. After reaching the MLS finals four times in six seasons between 2002 and 2007, the Revolution hasn’t finished above third place in the Eastern Conference since. The team is currently sitting in third place. Its average attendance of 15,355 is well-below the league average.

The Kraft family has long said the Revolution should move into a different stadium, but nothing has ever come to fruition. The Boston Globe reported earlier this month that Boston has been considered a potential landing spot for the team. Last week, the Revolution played a U.S. Open Cup match Brown University.

Diossa said he believes the Krafts should consider Rhode Island because of the diversity in and around the Blackstone Valley region. He said the area has a large Portuguese population as well South Americans, Central Americans and Africans who enjoy soccer.

He’s not wrong. Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch reported that Providence was the ninth-largest metered market in the country for those watching the United States-Germany World Cup match last week.

The MLS is gaining in popularity as well. Over the next several years, the league will add teams in New York City, Orlando, Atlanta and Miami. In May, it announced an eight-year television deal with ESPN, Fox Sports and Univision that could be worth roughly $90 million per year. All Revolution games are televised on Comcast SportsNet.

Neither Central Falls nor Providence currently have a stadium that could house the Revolution and professional stadiums are considered massive development projects.

But Diossa said he believes the Revolution would be a hit in Rhode Island.

“I think it would be fascinating because this could become a venue for not just the Revolution, but where international teams can come play,” Diossa said.

http://wpri.com/2014/07/01/officials-want-new-england-revolution-to-move-to-ri/

Emphasis mine.

UHH... so remember that conversation about the Revs moving to Rhode Island?! There are people actually talking about it:
Providence was the ninth-largest metered market in the country for those watching the United States-Germany World Cup match last week.
Emphasis mine.

Thanks for the tip--and yes, its worth *talking* about but when the serious stuff starts, folks will ask: so what were the 8 markets above Providence? And whether bigger or smaller, what was the BOS/PVD ratio?

(is PVD much bigger, much smaller, or about the same as BOS in World Cup metering?)

PVD is a great city, but its very hard to see anyone choosing it over BOS in a paired comparison.

Sure, from time to time PVD gets something "ahead of " BOS--like Southwest Airlines' New England entry city--but in the long run, and given a one-or-the-other choice, you gotta be in BOS (as Southwest now is).

UHH... so remember that conversation about the Revs moving to Rhode Island?!
There are people actually talking about it:

Emphasis mine.

You're kidding, right?

People in RHODE ISLAND are talking about it.

Wake me up when the Krafts actually get serious about it (and not just as some bargain chip).

Until then, it is as laughable as the Boston Olympics.

Hey don't attack the messenger. I've vocalized my passionate disapproval of the Revs moving anywhere but Boston's urban core. I'm simply reporting.

Hey don't attack the messenger. I've vocalized my passionate disapproval of the Revs moving anywhere but Boston's urban core. I'm simply reporting.

Didn't mean to attack the messenger. Just that the article is so much fluff. A couple of RI pols called the Revs office and the Revs office were polite and didn't choke laughing. In fact, the Revs may use it as a negotiating tool in their talks with pols from areas where they could actually MAKE MONEY in the long term (i.e. in a state that doesn't have the highest US unemployment rate).

Can we change the thread title to "Revs Stadium", "New Soccer Stadium", or something similar?

There's been so much conflicting buzz out there lately about a Revs SSS. I have to think the Krafts are just trolling in the media to get a good deal from someone... Curtatone anyone?

Well, I know one thing for sure. This World Cup has finally proved that soccer has arrived in the US. I mean, it's going to be a top 3 or 4 major sport in the US in the next couple years. By 1998 at the latest.

Well, I know one thing for sure. This World Cup has finally proved that soccer has arrived in the US. I mean, it's going to be a top 3 or 4 major sport in the US in the next couple years. By 2006 at the latest.

Well, I know one thing for sure. This World Cup has finally proved that soccer has arrived in the US. I mean, it's going to be a top 3 or 4 major sport in the US in the next couple years. By 2018 at the latest.

Meanwhile the Revs will probably still be playing in Foxboro because it makes the most sense economically to the Krafts.

If the Revs get their own stadium does the USMNT unlose their game against Belgium? :(

The US MNT would have to have shown up first. Belgium completely dominated them last night. While the score did not indicate it, that was the most lopsided game of this World Cup.

Central Falls? What a joke.

Back