New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

FWIW, there was a hearing today about the bill to rezone this spot to allow the stadium. From the parts I heard, basically everyone was in favor. That included elected officials, businesses, unions, various other stakeholders, and 90% of the members of the public who spoke. Even people and orgs with criticisms generally wanted to see it go forward. Criticisms were pretty much all traffic and public transit related. A couple of Boston officials spoke with concerns, didn't take a hard position, but still sounded generally in support.

The only* outright opposition I heard was from CLF. Their reasons have been the same: We should have a uniform plan for handling our waterfronts and port areas, instead of doing this one-off spot zoning. Also, the proposed stadium really needs some transportation study, at the very least, and ideally actual commitments to public transit funding. CFL seems correct there. Whether or not that should be enough to hold up the project is debatable.

*other than one or two concerned citizens
You do realize that the chair of the CLF's Board of Trustees, Sara Molyneaux, is married to Don Law. Don Law as in I control or have portions of control at The Paradise, Brighton Music Hall, The Opera House, and the House of Blues, right?

"Mr. Kraft" is stepping closer to the very lucrative 25,000 person concert level which puts him in direct competition with John Henry and the Jacobs Family as well as a person who has controlled a lot of concert revenue in the area for decades.

Any objection from CLF over a "working port" being lost should be taken would a massive grain of salt.

Renders from the Kraft Group and published in the Globe. Quote from the Globe

Seating would be closer to the field than at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, and an area behind one of the goals would be designed as standing-room only for diehard fans. Bilello expects the stadium would seat as many as 25,000 fans, though no final number has been established..

SM4DBLK7O5D3JK66EYHS55734Y.png

EDVFEYJWIJASVCELBE3DTEIDTU.png

SRCAING6QZBEZEKLDEFRH7ANLQ.png

Underwhelming.

I've lost track of the locations that have been looked at but was the Wellington station parking lot ever considered?

You could keep the parking lot on the ground floor with the station elevated above, so you still have parking at the station on non event days.

The location seems perfect next to a transit hub and near the highway.

The renderings are soooo bad, like first gen AI.
My favorite part is the walking path on the right side by the water that is leading fans towards what I believe is Exelon's switching station.

My guess is that if/when this ever gets approved that it'll look NOTHING like these renders.

That's a terrible rendering, but I do like the idea of having standing room only in certain sections. Maybe we'll even get our own hooligans!

I think the girl in the kayak is laughing at all the boats under full sale so close to the shore!
The renderings are pretty awful, lets hope they're just place holders till an adult has a go.

Good to see this moving tho.
And the speed boat 20 feet away about to capsize them with an invisible wake

That is so not what I wanted to see there. What a waste of a tremendous opportunity to incorporate old industrial infrastructure for the design palette.
Agree - they could easily have incorporated the historic buildings into a Camden Yards-like complex. Which, if they used the industrial buildings for any mix of retail, hotel, residential and/or office, would also have the effect of making this a much more mixed-use, all-season venue - and less a white-elephant stadium hosting a few soccer games and a smaller number of concerts each year.

I know it's preliminary, but you would think a little creative design would go a LONG way for people to get excited about this and onboard with the concept.
If you compare this to the proposed White Stadium redesign, it's clear one proposal is quite a bit more serious than the other. Fortunately for me, Franklin Park is a quick bike ride away.

You do realize that the chair of the CLF's Board of Trustees, Sara Molyneaux, is married to Don Law. Don Law as in I control or have portions of control at The Paradise, Brighton Music Hall, The Opera House, and the House of Blues, right?

"Mr. Kraft" is stepping closer to the very lucrative 25,000 person concert level which puts him in direct competition with John Henry and the Jacobs Family as well as a person who has controlled a lot of concert revenue in the area for decades.

Any objection from CLF over a "working port" being lost should be taken would a massive grain of salt.
Yes, it's good to be skeptical of CLF's concerns. I don't think that means ignoring or outright rejecting them. CLF is saying it's bad state policy to manage our waterfronts through spot-zoning, political lobbying, and one-off legislation. Also, they're saying there's no plan, let alone funding, for better transportation to the area. Again, it's debatable whether that should be enough to put this project on hold, but those concerns seem obviously correct.

Also, you're right: it's important to be skeptical when someone has a financial incentive to BS or lie. But everyone involved here has a strong financial incentives, including Wynn, the Revs, Everett, Boston, various unions, and on and on. So when someone is claiming the traffic won't be that bad, or they'll supports public transit funding later, or this will create X jobs, or this will raise Y tax revenue, it's good to be skeptical of those claims. Don't reject them outright. Just take them with a grain of salt.

Yes, it's good to be skeptical of CLF's concerns. I don't think that means ignoring or outright rejecting them. CLF is saying it's bad state policy to manage our waterfronts through spot-zoning, political lobbying, and one-off legislation. Also, they're saying there's no plan, let alone funding, for better transportation to the area. Again, it's debatable whether that should be enough to put this project on hold, but those concerns seem obviously correct.

Also, you're right: it's important to be skeptical when someone has a financial incentive to BS or lie. But everyone involved here has a strong financial incentives, including Wynn, the Revs, Everett, Boston, various unions, and on and on. So when someone is claiming the traffic won't be that bad, or they'll supports public transit funding later, or this will create X jobs, or this will raise Y tax revenue, it's good to be skeptical of those claims. Don't reject them outright. Just take them with a grain of salt.
Let's not forget that Don Law also owns the Leader Bank Pavilion, the large tented concert venue in the Seaport, which is located in an actual working port!!

CLF will sue and get their usual payoff, incredible.

Two items of interest to me. Images show the facility entirely in Everett, leaving the existing structures along Alford/Broadway intact. That's an unlikely outcome but curious if it's intended to imply something about Boston's role in the project. Also, generating units 8 and 9 cease operations at the end of May. Haven't heard anything about Constellation's plans for that property.

Back