New FBI Headquarters | Everett Avenue | Chelsea

Re: FBI moving to Chelsea

To be fair, while you're point on Dedham is well taken (I gotcha going), if Boston annexed Chelsea because of the FBI HQ, it still wouldn't be beneficial to the city. Even if they totally gentrify Chelsea, you still won't be seeing hipsters in that area. I was in Hyde Park recently, and they're really trying to make that area similar to Brighton (to some extent). You can literally see the gentrification line.

Hipsters are already in Chelsea, but they can't crack beyond the new developements up around Mill and Chelsea Creeks. They are a major reason rents in Chelsea have rocketted in the last decade.

Going back to topic, this decision is probably good for both Chelsea and Boston.

The only way it's good for Boston is if the city finds another way to use the vacant land they wanted to build their federal building on...

I'll be honest, I believe the only reason Chelsea got the building was they have the land ready to go with a stable owner(the city) who has stable plans for the area beyond the building and who isn't acting desperate- the building is getting built, who actually becomes the main occupant doesn't matter to the city overall.

Do you read this forum at all? Making Boston more like West Roxbury is pretty much the last thing most people here want.
So...I'm in the...minority on this one? I know what people say on here. I have my own visions for Boston. Just sayin'.

This decision is good for Boston because the land will be used for a taxpaying commercial (or residential) development instead of for a tax-exempt government office that would deaden the waterfront.

This decision is good for Boston because the land will be used for a taxpaying commercial (or residential) development instead of for a tax-exempt government office that would deaden the waterfront.
and the waterfront has been dreaded enough already by the BRA...

It'll be in leased space built by a private developer on what was formerly publicly owned land, so no tax exemption to it. Favorable taxes though are another matter.

I have no problem with low-density housing in Boston - it's good for our tax base and can encourage suburbanites to stay/relocate here. Why not some housing developments in the outer 'boroughs?

Aren't they attempting to do this at the old Boston/Mass Mental Hospital?

I've copied a general update from Chelsea City Manager Jay Ash and invited him to post here. You may be interested in items 6 & 7 in his update below.

#6 -perhaps more hotels in the area.
#7 -plan from 1996 for a new Parkway Plaza that was "less a suburban shopping center and more an urban mixed used neighborhood." I've asked for this plan to post.

His update:
Here's the latest. For you new to the Inside Scoop, hope you enjoy some insight into what I've been up to lately. And, as always, please excuse the typoz!

1. I submitted a $1.5 grant request to the State for the Safe and Successful Youth Initiative. Program requirements are intervention services around education, employment, mental/behavioral health, physical safety, crime reduction and family strengthening for males age 14-24 who have a violent past or are victims likely to retaliate, or their families. Yes, that is a mouthful. Our proposal, crafted with the incredible assistance from Roca, proposed to hire a full-time police sgt as the intervention coordinator, street workers to interrupt violence and encourage the cohort to participate in a variety of programming, and counselors in the high school. It provides for employment training from Roca, CAPIC and LARE, mental health and family counseling from North Suffolk Mental Health and family outreach from Centro Latino, Chelsea Neighborhood Developers, and the Chelsea Collaborative. I am excited about the impact this could have on our community, and our young people. Please keep your fingers crossed!

2. Speaking of grants, Rep. O’Flaherty and I have been lobbying the Patrick Administration for a $1m grant for improvements to Everett Avenue, at the Mystic Mall, with the Demoulas people pledging to fill in any gap left over for improvements. The Gov included the amount in a bill he filed this past week, which is great news for us. We hope to do five phases of work in the area of the Mystic Mall, which will add capacity and allow us to address traffic needs regarding future redevelopment in the Mystic Mall and around the area. There is more work to be done, as the bill needs to pass both the House and Senate. Both Rep. Reinstein and Sen. DiDomenico have said they would be supportive if we could get this far, so I’m optimistic. This is a BIG deal, as $1m special appropriations aren't falling out of the trees these days. Good to have a great team at the State House working with us on our agenda!

3. Speaking of great teamwork, Rep. O’Flaherty and Chelsea’s own Roy Avellaneda hosted a meeting with me as we made our case for Mass DOT (Department of Transportation) to repave the Chelsea curves on Route 1. We have had two tragic deaths involving cars flipping over the guard rails and down to Sixth Street. While there may have been other circumstances causing that, the roadway above was very bumpy. We all speculated that the rough riding surface contributed to cars going out of control. To DOT’s credit, they were out in 48 hours and got it done, and have agreed to make even more repairs.

4. Addressing another State matter, the DCR pool’s last day will be the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Again, credit our legislative delegation. Rep. O’Flaherty championed the pool reconstruction several years ago, and the trio now continue to emphasize the need to keep our local pool open as one of the last to close every season. The DCR (Department of Conservation and Recreation) are terrific to work with here. Pool hours are every day from 11-7p.

5. For those of you who are regular readers…I’m disappointed in you. Not a single person got my last question right, which was: what does the latest restaurant to pull apply for a building permit and the starters for the Boston Celtics have in common? I’ll give you one more chance. The answer is below in #6.

6. Had an unbelievable week on economic development. Had not one but two hotel conversations. For those of you keeping score at home, that would be hotel number 3 and hotel 4. The Mystic Mall people have some other exciting things going on, including an even bigger splash than the Five Guys restaurant which is the answer to #5 (they both involve five guys). The residential project on Sixth Street is getting closer, as historically low interest rates are making the project more financeable. And I began the discussion about the next transformation of Chelsea Commons.

7. Regarding the latter, back in 1996, we first envisioned a new Parkway Plaza that was less a suburban shopping center and more an urban mixed used neighborhood. Instead of a sea of parking and single story retail buildings, we developed a plan which created city blocks out of the parking field and envisioned retail on the first floor of buildings, with residential, offices and structured parking added in. The market wasn’t ready for that in a Chelsea that hadn’t seen a major development in the previous 20 years (and the one that happened then, the Mystic Mall, was a huge failure). Fast forwarding to today, with all the development success we’ve had, we dusted off the 1996 plan to see what a developer might say, and have had the first of what will be scores of good conversations about the long term future of Chelsea Commons. Mind you, we are still years away from the market being ready. However, when we were able to get Parkside Commons, the residential building, developed, it was actually a test of those 1996 plans, and that project has been a tremendous success. So, I’m thinking about the future again, because in a land poor community like Chelsea, transforming the old to new, even if the old isn’t that old, is the way we need to go. My bet is that 10 years from now, you won’t recognize the Mystic Mall or Chelsea Commons. We may have another modest project in the ground at Chelsea Commons next year, and more grand plans to talk about from there.

8. It’s seemingly always fashionable to beat up public employees. With a disclaimer that none of us is perfect, we’ve got some tremendously talented and dedicated individuals and groups working for us. Today’s spotlight is on teachers. This past week, I visited a couple of hundred teachers who were in during their summer break to do training and team building to better prepare to be their very best for our kids this upcoming school year. That was terrific to see, and it was embraced and advanced by their union and our terrific new superintendent, Dr. Mary Bourque. And I had a great meeting with two teachers who are developing an internship program for Chelsea High students, which is absolutely needed (you’ll be hearing more about that). The dedication of so many of our teachers is a reason why we have so many kids who do so great in school and afterwards. When people ask me about the quality of education in our schools, I truly believe the answer is simple: if our kids are ready to learn, they get as good an education as you can find in any city’s school system. The difficulty, as you can tell from that qualifier, is if they are ready to learn. Too many of our kids have home lives that are challenging. As a community, we need to address that in order to give our kids a better chance at a great life.

9. So, to that end, you’ll be hearing more from me about our need to strengthen families in our community. If you are interested in reading more of my thoughts on this, see the Chelsea Chamber of Commerce newsletter on-line for August (which will be up this week) - http://www.chelseachamberofcommerce.org/newsletters.htm. I hope you enjoy my thoughts on my “eureka” moment.

10. Hey, regarding the Chamber, they are having their annual “Pot of Gold” event in October. For those of you who are new to the concept, you buy a ticket, which entitles you to a great dinner at Spinelli’s in Lynnfield and a chance at their $10,000 drawing. As an added enticement, this year’s event is a Halloween theme. I heard a rumor, but I can’t confirm this just yet, that there is a prize for the best looking City Manager costume this year. Now George Clooney would win that contest easy, but lucky for you, he can’t make this year’s event. So, you might think of coming, and if you can’t come up with another costume, come dressed as me. (Keep those “clown shoe” jokes to yourself… it ain’t easy walking around in these size 15s, although I’m always grounded for wind storms like Hurricane Irene.) Call the Chamber for details, or check out more on the City Events email I sent you.

11. Thanks to all of you for making such a difference in our community. Spotlight this week on Hank Fay, proprietor of Venus Rising at 148 Broadway. He organized the “Rhythm of Chelsea” concerts on Saturdays this past month at City Hall. A great event that I hope will get better. Do me a favor and go by his store of eclectic stuff (I bought my son a funky second hand shirt that he is refusing to take off), and tell Hank I sent you in to say thanks.

12. Speaking of community, we had more than 20 of you at our winter holiday at Washington Park meeting. We’ve decided to decorate Washington Park for the holidays, and hold a one-day celebration there. There’s lots of work to be done, so let me know if you want to join us in the planning, or sponsor something. Thanks to the Chamber for adopting this project as well.

13. I get a kick out of you when you come up to me and tell me how good Fusion Foods is! Do you think I’d be recommending a restaurant that I wouldn’t eat in? Well, truth be told, Fusion has too many vegetables on the plate and not enough red sauce for me. (I’d eat pizza for every meal and as for vegetables, I don’t believe in harming things that grow out of the ground.) Melissa does make me her version of a meat and carbs meal, and I appreciate her for that. More importantly, though, what she makes for you is really, really good…at least that’s what more and more of you keep on telling me. If you haven’t been, try it out, at 11 Everett Avenue. Tell Melissa to give you all the vegetables that I’m not eating!

14. Two of my favorites, Larry J’s and Chelsea’s newest business, Mystic Brewery, are teaming up for a night to remember. Mystic will launch its first microbrew, Saijon, on Sept.14 6pm till 9pm at Larry J’s, 950 Broadway. Okay, truth time again, I don’t drink, so I’ll need some of you to tell me how the beer is. I have no idea where the name comes from, so we’ll have to find that out together that night. Bryan at Mystic is a master brewer, so I’m sure the results will please. I’ll be toasting his concoction with my usual drink of choice, Poland Springs, but, for the rest of you, feel free to toast responsibly. More info to follow, but mark your calendars.

15. Speaking of calendars, don’t forget our community meeting on Monday night, 6-8p at the Senior Center. At my Occasional Forum this time around, I’ll be looking for you to tell me what you do and don’t like about Chelsea and getting from you what I should focus more attention on in the coming year. (The first one of you who says: “We need a Starbucks” is going to be…) We sit at tables and talk about priorities. Your input is really important to me, and has been the basis for a lot of good work. So please try to come and contribute. We start right at 6. A light dinner will be served, so come on by.

16. Had enough? I’ll end it there, although there are so many good things going on that I could go on forever, like the Energizer Bunny. (Hey, there’s a winning costume for the Chamber event. Can’t find symbols and a drum, ladies? Well, just come dressed as a bunny ;-0!). Don’t forget to sign up for my inaugural tweet,@CMJayAsh, which should be happening sometime this week. Hope you enjoy better roadway surfaces on portions of Cherry, Clark and Chester, with more to come soon. Check out the Marriott construction that has begun next to the Wyndham, and be on the lookout for the first of two job fairs we’ll be having for the Marriott – this one for construction types. Wish the kids good luck on their way to school on Wednesday. Be thinking of a name for our holiday celebration in Washington Park. Did I mention that we’re almost ready to break ground on the new park in the Box District? I’m speaking on regionalism at Holy Cross this Thursday. I met Senate candidate Tom Conroy as he walked through Chelsea on his more than 600 mile walk through Massachusetts. I also met new Salvation Army head Captain Scott Peabody – welcome aboard! New trash plan will be implemented on October 1. Saw some of you while I was painting over graffiti and picking up big trash yesterday; there wasn’t much of either so thanks all for pitching in. Be on the look-out for another Mike MeKonnen tribute in September. Gov. Patrick must be trying to become an honorary Chelsea resident with all the time and grants he directs this way! All-Chelsea Awards is coming up so get ready to nominate someone. I can’t believe all the great work North Suffolk Mental Health does for us. MGH got a prestigious national award for their community work in places like Chelsea; no surprise and well deserved. The Back to School event was unbelievable, thanks all who contributed to it. Please pitch in and clear the catch basins and gutters of trash that could cause flooding. Help control the pet population; have your pets spayed or neutered. Chelsea Police will soon be doing traffic enforcement regarding stopping at crosswalks for pedestrians so spread the word. Donate to the Fire guys as they do their annual great work for the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Zonta has a guy who can impersonate 40 different singers; that should be worth the price of admission – hope he can do my favorites: Bono and Madonna (well, maybe not for her songs ;-0!). September 12th is 20 years since Chelsea went into Receivership – boy how things have changed!
Stay dry, Chelsea!
Jay Ash
City Manager, Chelsea

Chelsea has outgunned Boston to be the home of the FBI’s new, $200 million headquarters.

The U.S. General Services Administration has picked ACS Development to build a 250,000-square-foot facility for the G-Men on a 5-acre “urban renewal” site on Everett Avenue.

When will it break ground?

Morning in Chelsea
By Yvonne Abraham Globe Columnist September 15, 2011
PrintE-mail
Share via e-mail
To
Add a message
Your e-mail
CancelShare Facebook

Twitter

Save CHELSEA - Two decades ago, when he was 70, Buck Mugford had words with the drug dealer who lived next door to him on Chelsea’s waterfront.

“I went to him, nose to nose,’’ Mugford recalled, sitting with some buddies at the Washington Deli earlier this week. “I said, ‘I’m going get you arrested.’ He said, ‘You can’t get me arrested, I know every cop in the city.’ ’’

He had a point. So when the dealer threatened to burn down his house, the retired ironworker sent his wife to live with their daughter in Medford.

Mugford was on his own, because his city was collapsing. The mob ran Chelsea. Mayors and the police had been on the take for years. Those who weren’t had their hands full with the city’s imploding finances and violent crime. Developers wouldn’t touch the place.

“It was a farce.’’ Mugford said. “You lived in Chelsea, everybody laughed at you.’’

By September of 1991, the city’s finances were so dismal that the schools couldn’t afford to open.

“Don’t open the gates of heaven and let us in, but for God’s sake, please open the gates of hell and let us out,’’ bartender-turned-mayor John “Butchie’’ Brennan told legislators, pleading for the state to blow up his administration and save Chelsea.

Twenty years ago this week, Beacon Hill authorized the first state takeover of a city since the Great Depression. Then-Governor William Weld sent in James Carlin as receiver to bring Chelsea back. The no-nonsense millionaire, working for $1, quickly proved he was serious, and that he understood the city’s problems weren’t just fiscal.

“Democracy didn’t fail in Chelsea,’’ Harry Spence, Carlin’s deputy, recalled this week. “It was stolen at the point of a gun.’’

Carlin and Spence, his successor as receiver, broomed City Hall. They shut down the bars where you could order cocaine like beer and took the gambling machines out of the clubs. They remade the police force into one the city’s growing Latino population could trust.

After Carlin sat with Mugford in his kitchen, the dealer was arrested.

“Carlin was the best thing that ever happened to this city,’’ Mugford said. “He regained our confidence.’’

It’s fashionable these days to kick government around. But Chelsea’s story is a tale of how vital government is: of how it can throttle a community, or transform it.

By the summer of 1995, the budget was balanced, and the city was returned to its citizens. Done with mayors, they voted to have Chelsea run by city managers instead.

Jay Ash, a Chelsea native and former Beacon hill staffer, has held the job since 2000. He has collected fans for keeping the city’s finances in line and attracting new businesses, including a Wyndham hotel (a Marriott is on the way). Today Broadway thrives, and community groups once at each other’s throats work well together.

One recent morning, Ash sat in the café at the huge, heavenly Market Basket just off Route 1, beaming at the flagship supermarket that chose his city.

“All the pieces are in place for us to do something spectacular,’’ he said.

Still, this tiny city remains very poor. Youth and domestic violence rates are among the state’s highest. And though the city, with a lot of help from Boston University, has given its children beautiful new schools, MCAS figures are not where they should be. The 60 percent Latino city is still the first stop for immigrants, including those here illegally, who tend to be transient.

Mugford laments the loss of the traditions he knew. And he could do without the smell from the nearby hide plant that wafts over his neighborhood.

But these are the problems of any struggling city - luxuries compared to the bad old days.

“Today I walk the streets with my head held high,’’ he said. “I have no fear.’’

Yvonne Abraham is a Globe columnist. She can be reached at abraham@globe.com

Message from Chelsea City Planner Jay Ash:

OMG! is what my wife says when I sing. Not only can I not carry a tune, but I usually mess up the words. She tells me I shouldn’t give up my day job because I’d never make it as a singer. While I may not have the greatest voice, I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty happy about the words of this song (sung to Santa Clause is Coming to Town).

They see you when you’re sleeping, they know when you’re awake, they know when you’ve been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake. The FBI’s coming to town…The FBI’s coming to town…The F.B.I is coming to town!!

There’s my OMG moment. Lease sign, first construction meeting next week, activity on the parcel by Thanksgiving! The FBI project is a go, perhaps the biggest development ever to happen in Chelsea. With the Marriot under construction, and an announcement last night that the 6th Street residential project is targeting a groundbreaking on Aug 1st, our urban renewal area dreams are being fulfilled, and the possibility of even more in Chelsea becomes so much more attainable. The FBI will be built on Everett Avenue between the MGH building and the Wyndham, where once there were junk cars, falling down buildings with old motors stored in them, and a janitorial supply company (which, actually, was a good business in the district at the time).

Many deserve credit for this announcement, most notably the Economic Development Board, ACS Development, the City Council, Cong. Capuano and my terrific staff. Others will also be recognized along the way. All of us, though, who live, work, volunteer and love this community are having our commitment validated by this exciting development news. Almost certainly, there is even more good news ahead as we continue to promote our great community and all those who are part of it. We’ve found a secret here, it is all about teamwork – let’s keep it up and there is no telling what we might together accomplish!!!

OMG!!!

Jay Ash
City Manager, Chelsea
500 Broadway
Chelsea, MA 02150

I really like this Jay Ash guy. Upbeat and sincere.

Anyone want to venture why Chelsea is working so hard to fill out these more sprawl-y parcels along Everett Ave rather than focus on areas like the waterfront? Just wondering...

Take the taxes and put it into the waterfront maybe? But they have minimal waterfront to work with. Some parts of the creek would be okay, but I'm not sure tank farms are most desirable views. They could probably redevelop between the Tobin and Meridian St for the most success. Maybe even build a stop for the inner harbor ferry circuit.

I continue to think this should have been built on top of the low rise portion of the Federal Reserve building. Make it 2 towers, and it already has the federal security issues covered.... makes too much sense to work however. I don't like a bunch of government in one neighborhood, but they already have the land, instead of 5 more acres!

So block is this going on, exactly? I can't quite figure it out...

Update:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n....html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2012-04-26

Construction of the six-story building was expected to get underway late last year. But a lawsuit by Boston Harbor Development Partners, an arm of Pappas Enterprises in South Boston, has prompted the General Services Administration to reevaluate the selection of Emerald Corporate Center LLC, a division of ACS Development Corp. in Chelsea. Pappas lost a bid to build the project on a MassPort parcel on Fargo Street in Boston.

Just let it go! The Seaport sucks enough! Ugh!

Sorry for the false expectations, but I thought you would like to know that the Residence Inn is now open for business. If the FBI ever get around to moving to the Chelsea site they will have a new watering hole to hang in just across the street. By the way the proposed FBI site is just behind the green flash in the foreground.

Residence Inn Chelsea MA

Last edited:

Back