New Lansdowne St.

Really? Not too bad?

Is this how far we've fallen that cheapy siding-ish panels with strips of color are considered "not too bad?"

Man, this building is embarrassing.

That is an abomination...whoever said it was a vent building earlier is right-the cheapy pseudo-modern type of building belongs closer to the BCEC or Fan Pier.

Architecture aside, I don't understand the complaints about this becoming a HOB. When it comes down to it, the programing will more or less be exactly the same. Sure, the new space is larger, but if you think that small local bands were playing the Avalon/Axis, you're living in a dream world. In fact, the show line up posted further up this thread reads more or less exactly like an old show line up for the Avalon/Axis.

The one picture shown above is the facade facing the pike... moreover its the back side of a club, hence it is a big, blank wall.

Corrugated metal and bright colored panels can create a nice facade if designed properly. Hard to tell from this picture at 60 mph.

I'm not sure what the criticism is, did someone expect limestone and fluted columns?

Unfortunately the pictures of the front I took didn't come out but I implore you not to judge this building until you see the front. It is a half assed piece of shit.

If you dont get any pics up Ill be walking around the area next week.

Forgot that I had these other two shots from the Thruway..

img3098cf8.jpg

img3099id2.jpg

Unfortunately the pictures of the front I took didn't come out but I implore you not to judge this building until you see the front. It is a half assed piece of shit.

You weren't kidding. Wow, that's bad.

Looks like they dropped a highway sound barrier on a strip mall.

Oh my .... absolutely wretched. I thought the turnpike side was bad until my eyes were forced to view the front facade. Wonder if this passed throught the BRA's vigorous "design review" process.

I was always shocked at how fast this project and Filene's went through the approval process, it's good be be Menino's pal. Just think what he could have done with a new city hall.

There's got to be a better way than that to build a windowless box. This screams out "I'm temporary, someone please demolish me soon!"

If it's a House of Blues, why didn't they try to imitate the architecture of the original Cambridge one?

I didn't know they were building an elementary school...

If teh entire place was just that corrugated steel part with strips of color it would at least be interesting, if not ugly. This is just offensive, trying to be contextual and sucking, hard. I want to write more hate for this building but it just isn't worth my time.

Re: 1265 Boylston Street

This is what the render said:

From highway

1177139438_5885.jpg

Front:
6c5dcb7263_22land1.jpg

I just realized that the brick portion is brand new, and a replacement for the old facades that fell.

It looks terrible. It should have been 100% metal or 100% brick, not both.

There's got to be a better way than that to build a windowless box. This screams out "I'm temporary, someone please demolish me soon!"

If it's a House of Blues, why didn't they try to imitate the architecture of the original Cambridge one?

Ron, I bit my tongue a lot through this thread. I understand your fondness to the old House of Blues, but could never figure out how to explain to you that this is the exact opposite of everything the original was loved for.

Now that you've seen pics, maybe my original rant on this project make more sense ... it's pretty bad, isn't it?

So this is where the Port of Boston is stacking its shipping containers now that the SBW is being developed.

As for the rest of it - I always thought the next level of ironic chic would embrace suburban monotony, but not this fast! Party at Lowe's!

Back