New Red and Orange Line Cars

Zash

Reaction score
Not relevant really to this thread, but yes it was. Between Ruggles and Jackson. AFAIK it's still closed.
I heard that part of the Orange Line was closed because of flooding & heavy rain. Can anyone confirm that? :unsure:

Jahvon09

Reaction score
Looks like there's enough of the new trains now, to start sending some of those old rust buckets out to pasture!! The sooner they are gone, the sooner that we won't have to even look at them, much less having to ride on them!! Hah!! :(

Last edited:

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
Chinese train maker CRRC may have to replace all of the new Red & Orange Line vehicles! Wonder how long THAT'LL take!! It may also throw things back even further if it happens. We'd have to deal with those old rust buckets even longer! :eek:

That article is a.) from August and b.) solely concerns the fact that the new cars were at that time being tested ahead of their return to service. Some of the CRRC Orange Line cars have since returned to service and the remaining cars accepted on property will be returned to service soon (I assume once necessary fixes have been completed) with the Red Line cars (I assume similarly fixed) to follow later down the line.

The article's reference to CRRC "replacing" the Red and Orange Line vehicles was saying that CRRC is replacing the current vehicles; i.e. the new CRRC #14 Orange Line* and #4 Red Line cars are replacing the #12 Main Line (01200 series Hawker Siddeley Orange Line cars) and the #1, #2, and #3 Red Line (01500, 01600, 01700, and 01800 series Red Line cars of various manufacture). It says nothing about CRRC needing to somehow 'replace' its own products (the new cars), just that the delays to EIS of the new cars are problematic precisely because they are replacing both lines' entire fleets (both OL and RL will be all-CRRC once the order is complete).

Jahvon09

Reaction score
That article is a.) from August and b.) solely concerns the fact that the new cars were at that time being tested ahead of their return to service. Some of the CRRC Orange Line cars have since returned to service and the remaining cars accepted on property will be returned to service soon (I assume once necessary fixes have been completed) with the Red Line cars (I assume similarly fixed) to follow later down the line.

The article's reference to CRRC "replacing" the Red and Orange Line vehicles was saying that CRRC is replacing the current vehicles; i.e. the new CRRC #14 Orange Line* and #4 Red Line cars are replacing the #12 Main Line (01200 series Hawker Siddeley Orange Line cars) and the #1, #2, and #3 Red Line (01500, 01600, 01700, and 01800 series Red Line cars of various manufacture). It says nothing about CRRC needing to somehow 'replace' its own products (the new cars), just that the delays to EIS of the new cars are problematic precisely because they are replacing both lines' entire fleets (both OL and RL will be all-CRRC once the order is complete).
I don't think that there was anything wrong with the first new Red Line train. They supposedly took it out of srvice as a precautionary measure. Didn't even give it a chance to prove itself. But the question is, how much longer will they just keep on doing this? I think that they might have made a mistake in choosing this company to make the new cars for them. That is probably what happens when you make the lowest bid for stuff. The T has always done that. Look at the Boeing units & the Breda units. I just hope that doesn't happen with the Type 10 units. :(

Last edited:

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
I don't think that there was anything wrong with th first new Red Line train. They supposedly took it out of srvice as a precautionary measure. Didn't even give it a chance to prove itself. But the question is, how much longer will they just keep on doing this? I think that they might have made a mistake in choosing this company to make the new cars for them. That is probably what happens when you make the lowest bid for stuff. The T has always done that. Look at the Boeing units & the Breda units. I just hope that doesn't happen with the Type 10 units. :(
The Boeings were basically foisted on the T (and MUNI) by the feds, so we can't solely blame the agency for that craptastic procurement. The Bredas, yeah, that's on the T for giving a builder with a very scant history of making LRVs the task of building the first low-floor cars for our notoriously quirky subway. It does seem like the T tends to fixate on the "lowest" portion of "lowest qualified" bidder, which doesn't help, especially not with their historical fondness for over-customization.

That said, there's very little in the way of actual evidence of systemic quality or quality control problems with the CRRC cars at present. They're still very young in fleet-introduction terms, and while they have had teething problems more noticeable than some equipment, the most notable and severe was the problem with a single component, the side bearer pads in the wheel trucks, (made by an Australian company as I understand it) that wore down faster than expected, which could be a design issue, could be an unexpected interaction with other components, or some such thing. These things happen with new equipment, and I think we all agree that we don't like it, but I think it's far too soon to write the CRRC cars off as Boeing or Breda level crap. (We don't see them cannibalizing new cars for parts like the Boeings or getting so many problems that they [temporarily] cancel the contract as with Breda.)

Jahvon09

Reaction score
Yeah, the new Red & Orange Line trains are still under warranty anyway & CRRC has to fix them for however long so that they run smoothly. They look so shiny & new, but they need to be doing what they are supposed to do. Provide quick & reliable service to be used in getting passengers from Point A to Point B. 😊

Jahvon09

Reaction score
Could THIS mean that some of those Relics from the Dinosaur Age will start being put out to pasture? I hope so!! Hah!! :)

Last edited: