New Red and Orange Line Cars

It passed while we were pulling into wellington station. Honestly not sure which track is the test track.

Yeah that was probably on the 3rd express track then that isn't used for revenue service. I really doubt we would see them on revenue service tracks during operating hours until they are fully tested and ready to go in service.

This is ridiculous!!

Some jerk is always throwing a monkey wrench in to try to get things frigging delayed!! :mad:

No Name;

Great way to alienate the people of Boston wtf!! Track is a row. i forget what the row laws are, but there are High Court decisions on tracks that are left unused for a time, etc.... don't look good for us. You guys know this stuff way more.

https://www.rmmenvirolaw.com/u-s-su...dispute-over-abandoned-railroad-right-of-way/

Wasn't there also some noise about this when someone got the bright idea of a rail hub in Millis or Medfield Jct to serve Medway, Millis, Holliston, Medway and Sherborn. Effing Dover elites (dozens of land/estate owners, incl Chase family?) put a stop to that, *and kept it quiet.

Last edited:
My guess is this ends in a settlement with the T shelling out tens, if not hundred+ thousands of dollars to allow the testing.

The article made it seem like this isn't abandoned, and that the state retains rights on the entire length other than this small section, which the family bought but has an easement on. Seems like the State would probably win in court, but will probably settle to expedite things. Also, sorry to inject politics into this, but, ugh, as if I could dislike the No Name anymore - damn tourist trap and shitty food.

It's not extortion if they are legally allowed compensation for use of their land. Extortion requires some sort of illegal activity. If a judge signs off on it, it is by definition, legal.

That said, hopefully the contract is written in a way that the judge will rule in favor of the T.

If the family was really going to build on that property, what have they been waiting for, a hot real estate market?

It's not extortion if they are legally allowed compensation for use of their land. Extortion requires some sort of illegal activity. If a judge signs off on it, it is by definition, legal.

That said, hopefully the contract is written in a way that the judge will rule in favor of the T.

If the family was really going to build on that property, what have they been waiting for, a hot real estate market?

Well, perhaps not technically illegal, but the timing certainly says opportunist.

We "want to build" (show me the plans) right when the T wants to exercise their rights under the easement and use the track for testing. So the T is likely to settle rather than drag this out in court, to avoid the delay. Cha Ching.

Well, perhaps not technically illegal, but the timing certainly says opportunist.

We "want to build" (show me the plans) right when the T wants to exercise their rights under the easement and use the track for testing. So the T is likely to settle rather than drag this out in court, to avoid the delay. Cha Ching.

I don't know. From what I've heard there are easements all along track 61, out to the marine park. There is a pie in the sky dream of reactivating it for passenger use. And an even more pie in the sky dream of cargo. So the track along the front of the Design Center is in place, even though people park on it.

If the T has good records (sigh) and can show there is an existing easement this should be simple right? Easement exists, we want to use the easement. Done.

I'm probably being too optimistic.

But the T says it can use the tracks for testing, under the terms of an easement and a 1991 agreement among the state, the Contos family, and Conrail that accommodated the Big Dig construction project.
In court documents, the Contos family argued the easement only allows for certain railroad uses — not running subway cars. The family also says it must give the agency permission to change how the tracks are used.

The bolded part seems key. If the judge agrees with the family's reading of the contract, it is going to cost the T $$$$.

The bolded part seems key. If the judge agrees with the family's reading of the contract, it is going to cost the T $$$$.

Right. Seems to be a game of semantics with no regard to actual circumstances: subway cars are the quietest, least intrusive of rail stock you could run on Track 61, especially compared to all of those already approved "certain railroad uses."

I think that the MBTA can overcome this.

it's just some greedy restaurant co trying to greedily gain some money out of it! :mad:

I think that the MBTA can overcome this.

it's just some greedy restaurant co trying to greedily gain some money out of it! :mad:

I think its an obnoxious move, but why the hell else would you buy a parcel of land if not to profit from it?

There's a substantial difference between "buying a piece of land to make money from developing it" and "buying a piece of land to hold for ransom when the public needs it".

Possibly they were waiting to see what the MBTA's long-term plans are for Track 61, because it will affect how/what they build. From the article: "The family indicated in legal filings that it would like to install support structures near the tracks to allow it to build above them in the future."

Right. Seems to be a game of semantics with no regard to actual circumstances: subway cars are the quietest, least intrusive of rail stock you could run on Track 61, especially compared to all of those already approved "certain railroad uses."

There's a lot of concern in the neighborhood about kicking up PCBs. Or as the the recent article calls it, "dust." I'd like to hear more about that, since I live nearby.

Back