New Red and Orange Line Cars

I wish the doors has user-activated buttons.

Like the blue line does. Of course, if the blue line actually used them, that would be swell.

Nothing worse than when its -3, its snowing, and the doors open to let a grand total of 0 people on and off.

As things stand right now, not increasing fares will decrease funding for maintenance. So unless someone is proposing the legislature change the MBTA's funding scheme, they're just blowing hot air.

I also think people forget that Marty has no real control of how the MBTA runs. He has some public presence sure but he has no actual input on things like fare raises, that's all on the state.

Like the blue line does. Of course, if the blue line actually used them, that would be swell.

Nothing worse than when its -3, its snowing, and the doors open to let a grand total of 0 people on and off.

I think I read somewhere that they DO have that feature. ;)

I also think people forget that Marty has no real control of how the MBTA runs. He has some public presence sure but he has no actual input on things like fare raises, that's all on the state.

True, although he also wants the city to regain a spot on the MBTA oversight board.

True, although he also wants the city to regain a spot on the MBTA oversight board.

Though that still won't give him any influence on the T's funding (unless he proposes that the City increase it's contribution)

Was never going to happen. He's just trying to save face after the horrible Globe article in which he seemed to be clueless about transportation planning, and he sees Michelle Wu coming up in the rearview mirror.

It's a PR softball for him, so of course he's going to say something along those lines. It's not a polarizing topic or a controversial stance (everyone is frustrated by the T issues) so he can come out sounding "strong" on something without the risk of alienating anyone. Marty has little/no involvement with the T so there's negligible risk in damaging any relationships by making such a statement either.

Like the blue line does. Of course, if the blue line actually used them, that would be swell..

The only place I've ever seen them used is boarding at Bowdoin. Presumably because the platform is too short to open all doors. Was that the initial intent?

Though that still won't give him any influence on the T's funding (unless he proposes that the City increase it's contribution)

He can also only appoint someone just like Charlie's appointees. I'd like to show a roster to Marty and ask him which of these people he'd like to see replaced and with whom. Regardless of who he picks, I can firmly guarantee that his involvement wouldn't make one ounce of difference in how the agency is run.

The only place I've ever seen them used is boarding at Bowdoin. Presumably because the platform is too short to open all doors. Was that the initial intent?

Yep you got it, Bowdoin is too short of a platform so the doors are opened by buttons there. Whole fleet of trains was equipped just for that platform...

I dont see them in the video?

They're there. Front doors only it appears.

new-orange-line-car-850x478.jpg

It's particularly bad at the termini (for example, Oak Grove) where the doors are open for 10+ mins until it's time to start the run.

Since they are expanding the car maintenance room at Wellington, why not repair the platform at the station? New trains, crumbling platforms!!

Since they are expanding the car maintenance room at Wellington, why not repair the platform at the station? New trains, crumbling platforms!!

Station platform maintenance has zero to do with fleet support. While we all want good station repair, for budgeting purposes it's a million miles out-of-scope from fleet management and has to come from a completely different funding appropriation.

You know what I'm talking about. Anyway, there IS funding for station upgrades coming from a separate budget, which is being implemented as we speak. Several stations along the line are scheduled for maintenance work & upgrades.

You know what I'm talking about. Anyway, there IS funding for station upgrades coming from a separate budget, which is being implemented as we speak. Several stations along the line are scheduled for maintenance work & upgrades.

No, I don't know what you're talking about. Separate budget, separate projects, separate project schedules because they have jack nothing to do with each other. This isn't even the right thread for complaining about platforms.

Sorry, there isn't a mechanism to ensure that your favorite station looks all pretty and such for the debut of cars that have nothing to do with the looks of your favorite station.

No, I don't know what you're talking about. Separate budget, separate projects, separate project schedules because they have jack nothing to do with each other. This isn't even the right thread for complaining about platforms.

Sorry, there isn't a mechanism to ensure that your favorite station looks all pretty and such for the debut of cars that have nothing to do with the looks of your favorite station.

"You know what I'm talking about" was in reference to the Blue Line Door Buttons, which was clearly "There are buttons, like the blue line" not "The buttons are in the exact same locations and operate exactly like the Blue Line ones down to the wiring schematics"

And you and they are saying exactly the same thing about station upgrade funding: It's a separate budget.

Back