New Red and Orange Line Cars

Why isn't Oglesby on retainer? Who cares if he's retired pay the man to do voice work once a year or so. Dumbest branding decision was to begin phasing out his voice.

Why isn't Oglesby on retainer? Who cares if he's retired pay the man to do voice work once a year or so. Dumbest branding decision was to begin phasing out his voice.

I think a lot of transit agencies want to switch to purely computer generated voices so that new announcements can be added on the fly and mix in with the standard ones. For example, the new OL/RL trains include the ability to the OCC (ops center) to remotely send announcements to the trains, so things like delays can be announced by the onboard system and not the driver (which is unreliable and often hard to understand) I just wish they would use higher quality voices if thats what they want to do... Also are we sure Oglesby is gone for good?

I wonder whether the T paid Mr. Oglesby as highly as New York City Transit did Charlie Pellett (whose "stand clear of the closing doors, please" announcement is heard on the video in my previous post). Mr. Pellett's lavish compensation amounted to $0.00 and, of course, bragging rights.

I think a lot of transit agencies want to switch to purely computer generated voices so that new announcements can be added on the fly and mix in with the standard ones. For example, the new OL/RL trains include the ability to the OCC (ops center) to remotely send announcements to the trains, so things like delays can be announced by the onboard system and not the driver (which is unreliable and often hard to understand) I just wish they would use higher quality voices if thats what they want to do... Also are we sure Oglesby is gone for good?

I mean just pay the man to come in and record a few thousand words and phrases. Then he can be the computer voice. Hell they can even record his phonetics and made a computer voice with a facsimile Oglesby.

Back to the recent derailment that had occurred, on the Red Line, I think that the cause of it was a mechanical failure because the train involved was 50 years old. Older than water! That's pretty old!!

Something mechanical or electrical under that car just gave up the ghost & had crapped out. My razor-sharp mind is telling me that!! :eek::shock:

The trains themselves are 50 years old. Used since 1969.

The 1600 series. The next set is the 1700 series used since 87 or '88.

The next ones behind those are the 1800 series stainless steel. Those ones came into service about between '94 or '95.

I think that it was the old Pullman cars that were put out to pasture already. They were in use since '63 & were put out to pasture in either the '90s or the early 2.000s.

Time for them all to go!! :-x

I mean just pay the man to come in and record a few thousand words and phrases. Then he can be the computer voice. Hell they can even record his phonetics and made a computer voice with a facsimile Oglesby.

I can’t cite the interview, but I distinctly remember him saying they hire him to come in once in a while if needed but has already recorded thousands of words and phrases. Will try to dig it up at some point.

The trains themselves are 50 years old. Used since 1969.
Rebuilt 1986-88. That is the only date that matters...actual vs. projected service life past overhaul. The 01500/01600's are mechanically younger than the never-rebuilt Orange Line cars. They're past end of life, but 1960's frames aren't the reason...late-1980's parts that've used up their rated duty cycles are.
The 1600 series. The next set is the 1700 series used since 87 or '88.
And rebuilt in the last 5 years. The 01700's are not at end of life or past rebuild age. Their rebuilds are good for 10 years with the early cars from the rebuild program slated for retirement right at the end of those 10 years. Right now they are the BEST condition of the fleet. They could have been rebuilt for >10 year life extension, but parts are getting scarce for DC traction vehicles so it was better to go minimal.

The next ones behind those are the 1800 series stainless steel. Those ones came into service about between '94 or '95.
With a 25-year rated initial lifespan. This year, 2019, is year 24-25. They're not EOL yet, and will only be 2 years over at retirement (not a problem).

There a ton of problems with insufficient RL investment writ-large, but this 50years!50years!50years! meme is hysterical distortion. The 015/016's are in deplorable condition...because riding a rebuild 32 years is enough of a travesty. But trains do not have model years like cars, so the year the aluminum shell was pressed does not dictate years of roadworthiness.

I believe that the trucks were much newer than 50 years old.

Trucks are very regularly replaced, and usually drawn from a small handful of near-universal designs as far as HRT is concerned. They might even be single-sourced for all of Red/Orange/Blue.

The MBTA updated their website today and I noticed a little change on the Orange Line project page... That doesn't sound like positive news to me...

late19.png

The MBTA updated their website today and I noticed a little change on the Orange Line project page... That doesn't sound like positive news to me...

late19.png

Oh. So now they are saying LATE 2019!! WTF seems to be the delay now?!!! This is getting so ridiculous until it's just not even funny any more!!! :mad:

Hm just went back and its been changed back to Summer 2019... Either a typo originally or someone sharing information that wasn't supposed to be public...

rlol.png

Yeah, looks like someone got the info wrong. Leave it to them to get it all twisted!!

since most of Summer of 2019 is also Second Half of 2019, either might be said to be Late 2019. depending on when the drafter is writing.

This may shed some light on it. Track work on Evenings & weekends. It may not be until fall when we see the new trains in revenue service! :(

https://www.mbta.com/projects/orang...g-secondary&utm_source=homepage&utm_term=null

Doubt the track work is related. I know their little blurb talks about it "supporting the roll out of new cars" but I think that's just PR, as far as I know from test runs there is nothing majorly wrong with the track itself preventing service, just the signal issues.

Doubt the track work is related. I know their little blurb talks about it "supporting the roll out of new cars" but I think that's just PR, as far as I know from test runs there is nothing majorly wrong with the track itself preventing service, just the signal issues.

They're not entirely lying. There are no major track issues, yes, but minor enhancements and repairs will actually help with the longevity of the new cars' mechanicals, power system, and the rider experience. Figuring out the minor third rail issues is just "healthier" for the train's power system, and these trains are noticeably heavier, so you'll feel more track defects and you'll feel them "harder" than the current trains, despite a modern "suspension" system.

Regardless, you're likely not going to see a new train running until end of summer, and probably at limited service. Give them time. I'd rather have them start this off on the right foot slowly than the wrong foot hastily and then we have disastrous issues with the new trains. Having preliminary issues take time to figure out is common with any new equipment/products, public or private. Albeit this is taking a while and the deferred maintenance on the old trains is making everyone more impatient..

Back