New Red and Orange Line Cars

As much as I hate derailing things with politics, this is pretty relevant.

The new Red and Orange line cars could be caught up in the trade war with China.

http://www.universalhub.com/2018/could-our-impending-trade-war-china-hose-orders?nocache=1

As far as I'm aware, only the carbody shells are being manufactured in China. Everything else is being manufactured in the US or another country. There is a 60% US content requirement in the contract and CRRC has exceeded that.

Hopefully, none oft these will pose a threat or problem to the timeline of this program.

Nothings is etched in stone, but hopefully, things will go smoothly. :cool:

I'm definitely not a tax expert, but if a company wins a bid to provide a product for a certain cost, I would assume that they are required to provide that product for the bid price in the contract.

Actually, most major procurement contracts contain language that protects the supplier from unexpected cost escalation that is outside their control. A trade war and unexpected tariffs would almost certainly trigger that kind of clause, usually pushing all or at least some of the cost on to the customer (the MBTA).

Well, I hope that there are no delays in getting the new trains over here & assembled. I want to see those old decrepit Relics of the Dinosaur Age put out to pasture!! :rolleyes:

This morning I noticed that they were removing (and crumbling) the concrete facade from the Wellington maintenance facility, exposing the steel beams. It looks like it won't be a separate "room" from the rest of the building.

One thing I just saw in WMATA's materials for their new 8000 series cars that would have been a good idea here are aisle ceiling-mounted handrails. I've spent innumerable trips in that dead zone right at the crossing of the doors and the aisles, equally far from anything to hang onto. I'm fairly tall so my options are reaching over (sometimes rudely) someone else to grip the nearest rail at an awkward position, or trying to anchor myself to the ceiling which is somewhat taxing on the arms. New York has a post in this location for this exact reason. Having rails in the ceiling down the center of cars would be a godsend--riders feel more comfortable loosing their grasp on their current strap or post or rail if they were always within reach of something else. This would eliminate that annoying thing where one of the doors is practically disabled because someone won't move further into the car and give up the corner post. Which would improve dwell times.

Train-surfing is a useful skill, though on a crowded train it can be tricky to get your feet planted far enough apart for stability.

Is it me or is the end of the car red rather than yellow?

I assume that the same thing will be done at one of the Red Line's Yards, mainly the Cabot Street Yard in South Boston near South Station. for the for the Red Line. :cool:

The Cabot Yard project is currently out for public bid. The drawings come in at over 1gb, I heard. Suspect that a shorter version might be available somewhere.

The Cabot Yard project is currently out for public bid. The drawings come in at over 1gb, I heard. Suspect that a shorter version might be available somewhere.

Hopefully, it'll work. Don't know of any other yard. :cool:

Back