New Red and Orange Line Cars

Barely mentioned but huge:

“Officials also noted that they could potentially run ads on the displays.”

Do it and put the revenue directly back into the MBTA. That would be extra millions of dollars going into the system basically out of thin air. Hundreds of cars with 6-8 screens being seen by millions of people, huge opportunity. Just DONT squander the money away into nonsense n itd be a huge win.

View attachment 3172

The new Orange Line cars look somewhat like the London cars. They look smaller than the old cars.

Its striking how crappy the old cars are and how nice the new ones are.

Last edited:
The London tube trains are downright claustrophobic.

Depends on which ones, the deep tube (I.E. Piccadilly) trains are impossible to stand straight if you’re against the doors or sides. The subsurface tube (I.e. District Line) are spacious, and fully open from front to back.

Never seen Glasgow. Those are tiny!

Ever seen the Glasgow Subway? They're like toy trains, you can't even stand up all the way in them.

image.jpg
I'm not sure I'd be able to ride that. Even standing on the platform looks pretty horrific.

They're virtually identical in dimension. Was on one this morning and it actually feels somewhat bigger on the inside.

Depends on which ones, the deep tube (I.E. Piccadilly) trains are impossible to stand straight if you’re against the doors or sides. The subsurface tube (I.e. District Line) are spacious, and fully open from front to back.

Never seen Glasgow. Those are tiny!
Try Budapest
As they should have said "Everything is up to date in Buda or if not Buda*1 then Pest" [with apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein]
So they were very early after London with a Subway -- 1896 [earliest in Continental Europe and after today -- earliest in the EU] -- beat Boston by one year
Line One has modernized stations*2 -- but the trains are still scaled to fit the original tunnels -- narrow and short. The other lines date from the mid to late 20th C and are much more modern in appearance

Budapest_subway_1896.jpg

circa 1896

Siemens-Halske%2C_Budapest_metro_museum.jpg

Interior of early Budapest Metro train in Budapest Metro Museum

Budapest%2C_metr%C3%B3_2%2C_%C3%96rs_vez%C3%A9r_tere%2C_5.jpg

Line 2 [1980's construction] outdoor station

1024px-%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_h%C3%ADd_metro_station_7.jpg

one of the new underground stations for one of the new lines

Line 1 runs northeast from the city center on the Pest side under Andrássy út to the Városliget, or City Park. Like Metro 3, it does not serve Buda. Line 1, the oldest of the metro lines operating in Budapest, has been in constant operation since 1896.

In the 1980s and 1990s, Line 1 underwent major reconstruction. Of its 11 stations, eight are original and three were added during reconstruction. The original appearance of the old stations has been preserved, and each station feature displays of historical photographs and information. There is also a Millennium Underground Museum in the Deák Ferenc Square concourse.

QglukGQh.jpg

Speaking of train sizes, someone posted this on reddit, where you can see the difference between the new red and orange line trains

It's been done before, too. The Orange Line 01100's, retired from revenue service in 1981, spent 6 more years on the system in non-revenue service as work trains for Orange and Red. 01129 is shown below on Red inside Cabot carhouse next to still-active 01511 and one of the pre-'94 01400-series cars. 01129 still runs to this day at Seashore Trolley Museum. Other than a 6-inch gap between platforms and 4-inch step-down from platform height (which could've been closed by adjusting the air ballast underneath the car if it truly mattered enough to staff) they worked splendidly on the overnight shift doing the trash pickup, line inspections, and other assorted jobs.

200905171826212285.jpg

I guess in theory it's possible to run Orange cars on Red in full revenue service more or less unmodified if (1) the ballast were jacked up to platform level within its built-in capabilities and (2) permanent bridge plate mounts were installed on the exterior at each door lip to close the 6-inch gap. And be equally possible to truck cars back and forth between Orange and Red assignments by simply resetting the ballast and detaching/reattaching the exterior door bridge plates (which I guess could be installed snap-on/snap-off for the task) at the carhouse before waving it straight into service. Though there'd never be a need for such a thing, that's the sum difference between Orange-running and running on the 'superset' Red lineside dimensions. Not a damn thing else operationally differs.

The 01100 work cars were still in good operating condition when they were yanked in '87. Only reason for ending their work duty is because they weren't equipped with ATO signaling to run on the new SW Corridor alignment that opened that year or Alewife-Ashmont when Red's signal system was changed over in '88 (they could never run to Braintree because that branch was ATO from Day 1 in '71). Ironically, those nightly work trips to Alewife were through a tunnel that hadn't even been dug at the time those cars carried their last Orange revenue passengers in '81.

Last edited:
Wait why arent the red cars painted on the side?

One of the Red pilot pairs is painted. . .
EIyzEHOXYAA61KM

The other for some reason is not. Not even a T logo or number decal yet. . .
unnamed-2.jpg

I'm guessing there has to be a reason for that. Maybe they're comparing wear profiles or dirt accumulation during testing with vs. without finish.

T Logo on the end cars and car number have been added post delivery to Wellington for all the Orange Cars so far although I simply cannot figure out why

T Logo on the end cars and car number have been added post delivery to Wellington for all the Orange Cars so far although I simply cannot figure out why

It's something about conditional acceptance for service after initial delivery. Vehicles don't get T logos applied until they're "officially" graduated into burn-in testing. It's been that way for every new car order dating back 50 years, so there has to be some legalese giving that logo distinction greater-than ceremonial weight.

There's a pic in this thread a few months back of pilot pair 01200-01201 sitting inside Wellington carhouse fresh off their initial delivery in 1980. Same deal...no T logoes applied yet though paint job was otherwise complete.

On the new cars, why are those red thingies there covering the contact shoes for the third rail? The previous cars didn't have those. Are they something to help keep ice from forming on the third rail during snow storms?

On the new cars, why are those red thingies there covering the contact shoes for the third rail? The previous cars didn't have those. Are they something to help keep ice from forming on the third rail during snow storms?

Shop covers. Inside the carhouse third rail power comes from the ceiling and is clamped to the car shoes with jumper cables so it's safe for workers to poke underneath the cars while the juice is on. The shoe covers are slid on to guard against accidental contact while they're poking around.

They're taken off as soon as the car is ready to be moved out of the shop, so you will never see any car outside wearing the covers. It's strictly for inside the shop...like house slippers.

QglukGQh.jpg

Speaking of train sizes, someone posted this on reddit, where you can see the difference between the new red and orange line trains

We just need one pic of them lined up evenly.

As a Pats fan, this reminds me too much of:

Barely mentioned but huge:

“Officials also noted that they could potentially run ads on the displays.”

Do it and put the revenue directly back into the MBTA. That would be extra millions of dollars going into the system basically out of thin air. Hundreds of cars with 6-8 screens being seen by millions of people, huge opportunity. Just DONT squander the money away into nonsense n itd be a huge win.

Its striking how crappy the old cars are and how nice the new ones are.

Ain't it the truth?!!

Shop covers. Inside the carhouse third rail power comes from the ceiling and is clamped to the car shoes with jumper cables so it's safe for workers to poke underneath the cars while the juice is on. The shoe covers are slid on to guard against accidental contact while they're poking around.

They're taken off as soon as the car is ready to be moved out of the shop, so you will never see any car outside wearing the covers. It's strictly for inside the shop...like house slippers.

Clever idea!!

Back