New Red and Orange Line Cars

There were three new OL trains running early this morning, but now we're down to two. Based on anecdotal reports on Twitter, it seems like one of the new ones was taken out of service due to mechanical problems. This jibes with what I saw approaching Oak Grove, where we passed a new OL train heading southbound the was stopped a few hundred years outside of Oak Grove for unknown reasons. MBTA tweeted that a train was taken out of service at Wellington not long after. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
Back up to three as of this morning!

Note how more distinguished systems handle this issue

_78117016_78116903.jpg

I don't think that would ever fly here. I can imagine backlash from those who consider this to be hostile design.

I saw a new Orange Line train while riding in on Amtrak this morning. Looked very pretty! Only one problem… it was signed for “Oak Grove”… while traveling southbound to Forest Hills. Alas.

I wonder if that'd have any impact on the automatic station announcements. (In an ideal world, no, but I could easily see the programming tying the two together.)

Does the orange line use a track-side tag system to know where it is/announce upcoming stations? How much does that system tie into the headings on the trains? And how much control does the driver ultimately have to correct the situation if it's messed up?

Just curious how much of this is to blame on the existing, old infrastructure. The new trains can only be as good as the system in which they run (which we've already seen with that derailment back in the spring).

Does the orange line use a track-side tag system to know where it is/announce upcoming stations? How much does that system tie into the headings on the trains? And how much control does the driver ultimately have to correct the situation if it's messed up?

Just curious how much of this is to blame on the existing, old infrastructure. The new trains can only be as good as the system in which they run (which we've already seen with that derailment back in the spring).

I don't actually know the answer, but it would surprise me if it's old infrastructure. The CRRC cars are the only ones on the OL with automated announcements. I believe on the Green Line the operator is responsible for setting the correct route information, which I thought was tied to the signs and announcements as well as the switches (though that may be an erroneous description).

And BTW. the Orange Line was the last one to get it with the new CRRC trains. The other lines already had it in place. :unsure:

And BTW. the Orange Line was the last one to get it with the new CRRC trains. The other lines already had it in place. :unsure:

To my knowledge the Type 7s are the only vehicles to have automated announcements retrofitted to them, which was done along with their (frequently unreadable) LCD destination signs when they were individually upgraded to trainline with the Type 8s. The #1 and #2 Red Line fleets (01500, 01600, and 01700 series) do not have automatic announcements, only the #3 (01800 series) and not-in-service #4 Red Line (CRRC cars) have them. The #4 East Boston cars and their sister #12 Main Line cars (Blue Line 0600 and Orange Line 01200 series) have never had them.

This is supposed to be the Orange Line. The still pic proves it. What is wrong with this picture?!! How did this happen?!! Hah!! :eek:

Last edited:
This is supposed to be the Orange Line. The still pic shows it. What is wrong with this picture?!! How did this happen?!! Hah!! :eek:

Photoshop? It's really not that difficult to change colors. Those are Orange Line cars. The old Blue Line cars had pantographs and only two doors on each side. And four digit numbers in the 0600 format, not the six digit 01200 format.

Photoshop? It's really not that difficult to change colors. Those are Orange Line cars. The old Blue Line cars had pantographs and only two doors on each side. And four digit numbers in the 0600 format, not the six digit 01200 format.

Yes, to which none of them have that!! Plus, the old blue Line trains were retired eons ago!! :)

It's a good thing. Means that we are that much closer to seing some of the old trains being put out to pasture!! :)

Last edited:
Now that there are more new trains coming into service, I think that I'll soon be going over to the Orange Line to take a ride on one of the new trains!! I'll take pics or do a vid while I'm there. :)

Back