New Red and Orange Line Cars

How many of these things are in service now on the OL?
I rode on a new train the other day, and passed 2 others going in the opposite direction, so presumably at least 3 trains worth

How many of these things are in service now on the OL?
I rode on a new train the other day, and passed 2 others going in the opposite direction, so presumably at least 3 trains worth

I'm not sure how many are available for service, but 5 of the 14 OL trains running at the moment are new ones: https://newtrains.today/.

There are presently four train sets, totalling 24 new cars on the Orange Line right now. The Red Line only has one new train set so far, the one that debuted revenue service in 2020 just after Christmas that year.

More are said to be coming, but they all are being tested first before they are introduced into revenue sevice. I thought that maybe there were some shells there to be retrofitted with all the inner workings, but maybe there aren't more yet. :unsure:

Last edited:
I counted five new sets running yesterday as well. Does anyone know how many sets in total have been accepted?
56 CRRC cars (9 six-car trains + 2 extra cars) are active in-service. 62 cars were delivered as of end-of-2021, with 2 out-of-service (the pair damaged in last year's derailment, held for warranty repairs) and at least 4 still in testing. NETransit hasn't shown any new deliveries so far in '22, but its ticker might be running a little slow.

There are 104 old cars (17 six-car trains + 2 extra cars) in-service, with 16 out-of-service. Meaning the fleet is currently sitting at an all-time high of 160 available active cars, more than the 152 that'll make up the final CRRC roster. And they aren't running the enhanced headways the final roster will run, since signal work is still ongoing. So on any given day there are *lots* of active sets that are simply sitting in the yard not running. If the new cars are getting regular turns they should be making up a solid third of all revenue service now, but with spare ratios so insanely high at the moment the shares might vary dramatically shift-by-shift.

I counted five new sets running yesterday as well. Does anyone know how many sets in total have been accepted?

I stand corrected. I was wrong. I miscounted the max, which is 24 cars instead of 60. I did the math: 4 x 6 = 24. Last I heard, it WAS 4 6-car sets, unless one was not counted in it. If it's true that there ACTUALLY IS a 5th set, then it totals 30 cars right now. Pretty impressive, I'd say!! Close to 1/2 of the number delivered! The aceleration of getting the OL cars seems pretty fast, unlike with the Red Line having only one set so far. How did that happen? It has a lot of catching up to do! The Bombadier cars acquired for the RL between '94 / '95, don't seem so old as the much older cars that have been around since Richard Nixon was president in '69. Nevertheless, the T wants to have a completly trouble-free fleet of modern spacious railcars that probably won't require maintenence until around midlife.

During the derailment which occured last March, I think 1 or 2 of the cars had suffered some damage to the body of the vehicles. They probably were put back in service since then. I think that they come 2 or 4 at a time per shipment from China. :)

Last edited:
Ok, Roxxma, you're right. I just went back to the link, & it says that there ARE 5 sets operating, so that IS 30 of the new cars now. :)

Last edited:
It has returned to revenue service just before New Year's. :)

It has returned to revenue service just before New Year's. :)
Technically yes, although as far as I could tell they ran it once before new years (I'm guessing so they could still claim to have returned it to service before the end of the year), and then stopped running it again for another month. It's only in the last couple days it's come back. Been long enough! But certainly a sign of good things to come 👍

Not complaining, but why is there only one new train for the Red Line, when there are five already for the Orange Line? I thought that they were all coming at the same time. :unsure:

Thank you both! I think that both lines would need them badly enough, seeing that both lines have had more than their share of problems with the old cars breaking down many times before. Those cars have gone under the knife more times than I've gone to the hospital!! :eek:

Last edited:
Thank you both! I think that both lines would need them badly enough, seeing that both lines have had more than their share of problems with the old cars breaking down many times before. Those cars have gone under the knife more times than I've gone to the hospital!! :eek:

There's only so many cars that any company can produce at once. The Orange Line cars were always scheduled to start coming before the Red Line cars, probably because the OL's fleet is entirely ancient, while the Red Line has the (relatively) recently refurbished 01700s and the 90s-built 01800s (that and the original order wasn't sufficient to replace the entire RL fleet, that's why they added a supplemental order).

There's only so many cars that any company can produce at once. The Orange Line cars were always scheduled to start coming before the Red Line cars, probably because the OL's fleet is entirely ancient, while the Red Line has the (relatively) recently refurbished 01700s and the 90s-built 01800s (that and the original order wasn't sufficient to replace the entire RL fleet, that's why they added a supplemental order).

Yeah, that's true, but also, think of this; I hate to have to keep on repeating myself. People might get annoyed by it, but in '69, the Red Line & Richard Nixon had two things in common. He became prez, & the Red Line was blessed with new cars. But also, the OL cars were never rehabbed in their entire working lives that I know of. I could be wrong. Maybe THAT is also why the Orange Line started getting its new cars first. Things kept getting more & more sour for the Orange Line cars. :eek:

Last edited:
Yeah, that's true, but also, think of this; I hate to have to keep on repeating myself. People might get annoyed by it, but in '69, the Red Line & Richard Nixon had two things in common. He became prez, & the Red Line was blessed with new cars. But also, the OL cars were never rehabbed in their entire working lives that I know of. I could be wrong. Maybe THAT is also why the Orange Line started getting its new cars first. Things kept getting more & more sour for the Orange Line cars. :eek:

The #1 Red Line cars (01500s and 01600s) were rehabbed between 1985 and 1988, so when they were between 15 and 19 years old. The 1979-81-built #12 Main Line (Orange Line 01200 series) cars indeed never had a proper rebuild, so while they're a good bit younger in absolute terms than the #1 Red Line cars, in terms of mechanical systems/components, they've been going for several years longer since (re)build than the Red Line cars have, in part accounting for why they were first to be replaced. By presidential analogy, Ford was president when (most) of the #12s were built, and Reagan was when the #1s were rebuilt, even if they were originally Nixon-era products.

Back