New Red and Orange Line Cars

So, does each married pair use it's third rail shoe or does one shoe draw power for the whole train, and if it does, could two shoes be on at the same time?
Traditionally, each car is an independent being as far as propulsion goes...even when they're married pairs. Controls can be differentiated between A-cars and B-cars in the married pair (and indeed the CRRC cars are more hetereogeneous A vs. B than their predecessors in that regard), but with each axle being powered they usually take the straightest-line path to the power source and have the shoes on each individual car suck up the juice. The MU'ing circuitry is pretty simplistic overall on most slow- and medium-speed applications. It's only when you get into higher- and very high- speed EMU's that there's any sort of trainlining sophistication, since they have friction-related reasons for reducing the number of contact surfaces (i.e. pantographs or shoes) on the train.

Traditionally, each car is an independent being as far as propulsion goes...even when they're married pairs. Controls can be differentiated between A-cars and B-cars in the married pair (and indeed the CRRC cars are more hetereogeneous A vs. B than their predecessors in that regard), but with each axle being powered they usually take the straightest-line path to the power source and have the shoes on each individual car suck up the juice. The MU'ing circuitry is pretty simplistic overall on most slow- and medium-speed applications. It's only when you get into higher- and very high- speed EMU's that there's any sort of trainlining sophistication, since they have friction-related reasons for reducing the number of contact surfaces (i.e. pantographs or shoes) on the train.
What about the BL catenary?

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the various lines tunnels?

Presumably the same situation. Each individual Blue Line car (at least the #4 and #5 EBT cars) has its own pantograph, which is basically just functioning as an alternative collection system instead of the third rail shoes.

Yeah, they switch over to 3rd rail power at Airport Station. The only line in the entire system that can use either the 3rd rail or the pantagraph, but never both at once. :eek:

Normally, all subway vehicles run up to 40mph or slightly less. Especially when there's a rehab or construction in some of those areas. :unsure:

Last edited:
Do you like, only follow this thread or something, Javon? You are aware there’s a general MBTA thread (which everyone else been lamenting in it) and others have informed you before, right?

There are quite a few threads on the T. It's kind of confusing where to put certain things. On the governor's announcement, his speech is mentioned in the link in the thread that he plans to talk about tomorrow. I'm not ranting or complaining, but it's not my fault when stuff keeps on happening or coming up about the Orange Line. :eek:

I've been hearing that once the rebuild of the Orang Line is finished on September 19, that NONE of the old trains will be back. That they will all be taken out of service, & the T will just stick with ALL of the NEW trains. Does anyone know this to be true or not? The incident that occured on the bridge with a train catching fire, the same thing happened a while back at State Street Station, forcing passengers to flee & run for their lives. :unsure:

I've been hearing that once the rebuild of the Orang Line is finished on September 19, that NONE of the old trains will be back. That they will all be taken out of service, & the T will just stick with ALL of the NEW trains. Does anyone know this to be true or not? The incident that occured on the bridge with a train catching fire, the same thing happened a while back at State Street Station, forcing passengers to flee & run for their lives. :unsure:

Dunno if it's true or not. I didn't think they quite had enough of the 01400s even to meet these meager service levels, though I don't know when NETransit's roster last updated, and it's possible that they'd have enough when the line reopens. I think it's more likely that the plan is for most service to be with the new cars rather than guaranteeing all of it will be.

that's what was said at the presser. i think they claimed to have 78 cars on site which would be well more than enough to supply the service that they've been running recently.

that's what was said at the presser. i think they claimed to have 78 cars on site which would be well more than enough to supply the service that they've been running recently.

Yeah, as of the last update the roster showed 64 new cars in service, which didn't seem like quite enough, but if there's an extra couple of sets doing their burn-in they could well have enough. Related tangentially, is there any indication of whether they will still be able to use the test track to run in the new cars during the shutdown?

Yeah, as of the last update the roster showed 64 new cars in service, which didn't seem like quite enough, but if there's an extra couple of sets doing their burn-in they could well have enough. Related tangentially, is there any indication of whether they will still be able to use the test track to run in the new cars during the shutdown?
i'll have go to back and ask the guv. xD

I'm really all quite shocked that the OL running all-new trains isn't a bigger deal. but, i think that just might be because it feels like Guv Chuck just punched us all in the proverbial face.

i'll have go to back and ask the guv. xD

I'm really all quite shocked that the OL running all-new trains isn't a bigger deal. but, i think that just might be because it feels like Guv Chuck just punched us all in the proverbial face.

Well, between the shutdown and the rampant unreliability of the entire line (and much of the system) unrelated to the new cars, it's hard to focus on silver linings. Not to mention the fact that even with 78 cars they'd only have 13 trainsets (without spares). A decade-plus ago before the rot really started setting in on the #12 cars the OL ran with 17 trains at peak, more recently pre-pandemic it was down to 16, so it's still hard to cheer about them going all-CRRC when they're still offering subpar-to-atrocious service levels. Seems a bit like celebrating your team returning a fumble for a touchdown when you're down by 30: a good thing, but you're still in deep trouble.

I think that there's STILL a set of new railcars out of service. Remember when a set had derailed & went off the racks over a switch? Some of them have some damage as the set began to derail. It was out awaiting some repairs to the bodies of them because of it. See, the T was using 38-y-o tracks with the new cars. These cars are said to be much heavier than the old ones, I believe that doing this has gotten them into a lot of hot water. Old & new don't mix, which is now going to put the new vehicles into a 30-day cooling off period while many feet of track, ties & possibly the 3rd rail have to be replaced, which normally would've taken them five years to complete, had they gone the normall way. As someone once stated, they owe that to us. It is not practical to have new trains going at slower-than-normal speeds. if they're going to do that, then they might as well keep the old 01200's around. That is probably half of the problem, & they may be doing the same thing with the Red Line because bothe lines are getting new trains. The old trains are just that: OLD. The new 01400's were having such a hard time with the old tracks. They are in dire need of a replacement. But for right now, let's all just wait & see if this will work. Let's see if they can put their money where their mouth is. :unsure::unsure:,

Last edited:

Back