New to Boston

Charlestown might as well be on an island. It's eerily quiet and a long, lonely walk to the T stops, which don't do much good past certain hours (it's true the commute downtown is an easy walk from the southern half of the neighborhood, but that's also the expensive part). It's also got a nasty history of social insularity as well (I can volunteer some experiences). Nothing to do there and hard to get out - why anyone would live there without family ties or some enticing inheritance is beyond me.

Agreed. The walks are lonely due to the isolated locations of both Orange Line stations, but that's what bus route #92 and #93 are for which both provide a direct route into DTX and Sullivan Station (#92 goes by the supermarket and makes a few trips to Assembly Square). I think you can also hop on a MGH shuttle for free at the Navy Yard and take it to North Station. If you are low on cash and want a safe neighborhood without much noise (not including airplanes) and a decent amount of amenities then yes I agree your best options are either Charlestown or E. Boston.

Some pros for E. Boston would be:
Piers Parks
Revere Beach
Close proximity to the TD Banknorth Garden where the Celtics and Bruins play (same goes for Charlestown)
Easy access to the Airport
Contains two libraries (Charlestown has one)
I believe there is also a Supermarket there as well

Edit: I just want to add that there is also a MBTA ferry at the Navy Yard that takes you straight to Aquarium Station.

I don't see how East Boston is "close to the TD Banknorth Garden". How would you walk to the Garden from Eastie?

I don't think anyone chooses a neighborhood based on its proximity to the Garden anyway.

Except maybe that guy in Celtic Pride. Didn't he live in Charlestown?

Belated welcome to archBoston. I'd have jumped in here sooner, but there's the small matter of not getting fired...

I think we are going to head to Eastie to look. That seems enticing especially since the better half is an airport planner and would love nothing more than to stare at Logan all day. I'd be a bit apprehensive watching planes aiming nearly towards my head but that's the nature of the neighborhood I guess.

There's a lot more to the neighborhood than Logan, my friend. The real story of East Boston is that it's historically been the first rung on the ladder for lots of different groups -- Jews, Irish, Italians, Latinos (in a couple of different waves), Southeast Asians, Brazilians. The water in the pipe keeps moving.

I'm an East Boston "lifer." I keep it real in Orient Heights. My grandfather bought the house in 1936. The Heights is certainly a "safe" neighborhood, but less urban than I'd like. Jeffries Point and the residential areas around Maverick Square are walkable, pleasantly diverse, close to the T, and affordable.

Some dining highlights:

Santarpio's -- an institution
Scup's -- real food, unique waterfront location
303 Cafe -- like a little piece of Davis Square on Sumner Street

Excited to move to Boston and become a Red Sox fan.

Go here, and start reading. You'll be up to speed in no time.

Last edited:
So you're going to pass up the Boston rite of passage that is your first apartment in Allston? You'll miss out on having a good Allston apartment story! You won't have anything to talk about at cocktail parties!

My first apartment was at the corner of Kelton and Allston Streets. My landlord thought he could fix every problem in the building by covering it in caulk (yes, that included electrical problems). By the time I left, the building was more caulk than apartment. On the plus side, it was a 5 minute walk to the Silouette (NOT A STRIP CLUB) and we spent 7 nights a week in there drinking PBR and playing darts.

That being said, although everyone has their "my first apartment was in Allston" story, everyone eventually leaves. I'm in the North End now and like it a lot. To me, the selling point isn't just the amenities in the neighborhood, but the fact that, because it's more or less at the hub of the cities train system, it's super convenient to get everywhere else. I lived in Davis Square for a while, and although Davis (and Cambridge and Somerville in general) are awesome, it wasn't super easy to get to other neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain or South Boston.

My 1st apt in Boston was on the corner of Allston and Summit ave,but I too left and have been in Dorchester since 1987! I do miss Allston but don't miss the green line! I do miss being able to walk to everything,I live in Dorchester Center but there's nothing there for me,Once I get behind my gate I thank who ever that I made it home again! I do love my home my fish ponds out front and my small gardens,I have a lot of great nieghbors but could do with out the crime (I've said this before but I've been a victim of crime 16 times and have had 9 (another 2 weeks ago!)people shot or shot dead with in 50 ft of my front door) I also hate how dirty Dorchester is!

Last edited:

Back