New Youth Hostel in Theater District

commuter guy

Reaction score
This should be a shot in the arm for this area:

Construction to begin on nation's 3rd largest hostel in Boston
January 26, 2011 03:13 PM

By Katie Johnston Chase, Globe Staff

Construction is set to begin on a new 450-bed hostel in downtown Boston, a facility that will be the third largest hostel in the country when it opens in the spring of 2012, according to Hostelling International USA.

The hostel, located in the Dill Building at 25 Stuart St., is planned to be the first fully LEED-certified hostel in the nation, with a green roof, green elevators, and solar hot water heating.

The 55,000 square-foot structure will replace the nonprofit organization's smaller hostel on Hemenway Street in the Fenway. The facility is expected to attract 46,000 travelers a year.

Source: Boston.com

Any idea where #1 and #2 are? I'm guessing NYC's is one of them.

i stayed in a HUGE hosteling International in Chicago. I am guessing that i near the top, and it was only 2 blocks from the Art Institute.

HI usually does a good job with the buildings.

039-15.jpg
today

i stayed at the HI in chicago, it was GREAT. this will be a boon for hosteling in the city.

anyone have any insight into the Hostel market?

Seems to me it should be boooooming

What was this building used for before it became a hostel? I can't remember at all.

"Hey, this is a neat hostel. I'm from out of town and I'm broke .. any way to make a couple bucks around here?"

Hopefully Barney Frank doesn't come down here to recruit the young adults to come stay at his youth hostel.

These kind of things involving hostels and physical activity and fresh air always move me to song:

with my apologies to the Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering,
Among the city blocks,
And as I go, I love to sing,
my ipad in my pocket

Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My ipad in my pocket

I wave my hat to all I meet,
And they wave back to me,
And hookers call so soft and sweet
From ev'ry street corner

Chorus....

High overhead, the cranes work
They never rest at all
But just like me, they love to sing,
As o'er the world we roam.

Chorus....

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath the Hub's blue sky!

Chorus .....

and my backpack on my back

Beautiful renovation and an exciting re-use of existing space. Hopefully the groundfloor retail will also include a large, inexpensive restaurant space to accomodate the travelers, like those I've seen in Europe and S.America.

Back