Newton Infill and Small Developments

Renovation coming for old Chestnut Hill cinema: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/07...ater-into-restaurants-shops-gathering-spaces/

1659021893975.png

1659021930180.png

It's about time! seems like it has been many years since the theater closed. This was the movie theater of my youth so it brings back a lot of memories. It was pretty awful towards the end. Or maybe always.

It's about time! seems like it has been many years since the theater closed. This was the movie theater of my youth so it brings back a lot of memories. It was pretty awful towards the end. Or maybe always.

Ditto that [youth/awfulness]. It's telling that one of its sole redeeming features was . . . staring out from the parking lot, as you were entering or exiting the theater, to take in the beauty of Hammond Pond and its surrounding reservation (especially during the peak fall foliage). If your timing was right, you'd catch a D Line trolley gliding past on its way to Chestnut Hill or Newton Center, as there was definitely a vista between the woods.

Ditto that [youth/awfulness]. It's telling that one of its sole redeeming features was . . . staring out from the parking lot, as you were entering or exiting the theater, to take in the beauty of Hammond Pond and its surrounding reservation (especially during the peak fall foliage). If your timing was right, you'd catch a D Line trolley gliding past on its way to Chestnut Hill or Newton Center, as there was definitely a vista between the woods.

That's an interesting way to remember it... anyone who went to high school in Newton had friends who could let them in the emergency exit and the theaters smelled like what those folks would do after hours...

I think the last movie I saw there was Ocean's Thirteen.

The trashy movie theater is a dying breed, and it's kind of sad. Circle's gone, this one's gone. Now it's all lux theaters with in-seat ordering. Even the Apple is pretty nice these days.

That's an interesting way to remember it... anyone who went to high school in Newton had friends who could let them in the emergency exit and the theaters smelled like what those folks would do after hours...

I think the last movie I saw there was Ocean's Thirteen.

The trashy movie theater is a dying breed, and it's kind of sad. Circle's gone, this one's gone. Now it's all lux theaters with in-seat ordering. Even the Apple is pretty nice these days.

Chestnut Hill Cinema (insofar as it could've possessed self-awareness) wishes it had been "trashy"! [in part to counteract Chestnut Hill neighborhood's naturally snobbish tendencies ;)]

No, it was far, far worse than trashy--it was un-redeemably boxy, bland, dull, sterile. So many very looonnggg flat surfaces, massive gloomy overhang. I mean, just look at it.

How the heck an architect/developer thought that facade and its vocabulary conveyed "the magic of the cinema" is utterly baffling. But then again, it was the early 1970s (debuted in late 1975 per Cinema Treasures, so designed in 1973-74, presumably), and fortress-style complexes--a reaction to the extreme levels of violence/disorder in American culture at that time, no?--were all the rage.

Chestnut Hill Cinema (insofar as it could've possessed self-awareness) wishes it had been "trashy"! [in part to counteract Chestnut Hill neighborhood's naturally snobbish tendencies ;)]

No, it was far, far worse than trashy--it was un-redeemably boxy, bland, dull, sterile. So many very looonnggg flat surfaces, massive gloomy overhang. I mean, just look at it.

How the heck an architect/developer thought that facade and its vocabulary conveyed "the magic of the cinema" is utterly baffling. But then again, it was the early 1970s (debuted in late 1975 per Cinema Treasures, so designed in 1973-74, presumably), and fortress-style complexes--a reaction to the extreme levels of violence/disorder in American culture at that time, no?--were all the rage.

I get what you meant, but one word I would never in a million years use to describe that place was "sterile" :).

Not sure I've ever seen a developer do this... a website for the public to explain design changes.

1659615748299.png

View attachment 27055

This is the old Natick Armory, which had a respectful addition to the historic building. Newton might as well knock down the armory as they are showing so little respect to the original building.

Gotta be honest, I've looked at units in this building on Zillow, and I can't see it. This is an attractive building, but I have no problem with the Newton one, particularly as this is a 100% affordable development (I can tell you the Natick one is not).

You're telling them to "knock it down" because they're preserving it perfectly and tacking a not unattractive building on behind? By that standard we should have knocked this building down too.

1659998545992.png

Anyone know how long ago they renovated the Countryside School? I thought it was only about 8-10 years ago.

That's my old Elementary School!!!!!!! 1970-1977!!!!!

Goodbye old friend😢

Back