Next big highway project?

There are 3 main interchanges in the Metro area that need to be completely rebuilt: the 93/95 interchange in Woburn, the 93/95 interchange in Canton and the 90/95 interchange in Weston.

These are in addition to the Allston/Brighton toll situation.

Braintree split and Canton are the two uber-priorities because they share the same traffic jams. Although Braintree's modifications don't involve remaking the mainline highways themselves, just giving the 37/Burgin/T station/Furnace Brook exits semi-interconnected frontage roads to push the exit weaving away from the main highway split.

But you can throw a lot more than that on the pile. In no particular order. . .
93/128 Woburn
128/3 Burlington
290/495 Marlborough
295/95 Attleboro
291/90 Chicopee
24/140 Taunton
91/5/57 Longmeadow
495/44/18 Middleboro
290/495 Marlborough
90/128 Weston
Concord Rotary
Alewife Rotary
Newton Corner rotary/exit
1A/16/60 rotary, Revere

Interchange disentanglings are pretty much our entire highway enhancements needs list. Any combo of the ones on this bucket list will have a greater overall impact on traffic flow than any capacity expander they could ever try.

The widening that has happened at the 93/95 interchange in Canton has been a very smart move and a welcome change. People merging from 95 North onto 93 North now have extra lanes and space to merge in. Same goes for those that are going onto 95 south from 93 south. The Freeway widens to 6 lanes just before so those exiting have extra lanes and space to do so.

Braintree split and Canton are the two uber-priorities because they share the same traffic jams. Although Braintree's modifications don't involve remaking the mainline highways themselves, just giving the 37/Burgin/T station/Furnace Brook exits semi-interconnected frontage roads to push the exit weaving away from the main highway split.

But you can throw a lot more than that on the pile. In no particular order. . .
93/128 Woburn
128/3 Burlington
290/495 Marlborough
295/95 Attleboro
291/90 Chicopee
24/140 Taunton
91/5/57 Longmeadow
495/44/18 Middleboro
290/495 Marlborough
90/128 Weston
Concord Rotary
Alewife Rotary
1A/16/60 rotary, Revere

Interchange disentanglings are pretty much our entire highway enhancements needs list. Any combo of the ones on this bucket list will have a greater overall impact on traffic flow than any capacity expander they could ever try.

That's a nice list. I never understood why this state never liked stacked interchanges and flyover ramps. I am not saying we need a Freeway system like Houston's, or LA's (massive interchanges and 10 and 12 lane Freeways all over the place), but having smooth interchanges and extra lanes at interchanges can go a long way to making things move a lot smoother.

That's a nice list. I never understood why this state never liked stacked interchanges and flyover ramps. I am not saying we need a Freeway system like Houston's, or LA's (massive interchanges and 10 and 12 lane Freeways all over the place), but having smooth interchanges and extra lanes at interchanges can go a long way to making things move a lot smoother.

Cloverleafs, cloverleafs, cloverleafs. Tight-radius cloverleafs with insufficient merging space. That was this state's 1960's addiction. After their rotary addiction in the 40's and 50's. I never understood why so many low-volume roads here needed full unrestricted-merge cloverleafs instead of simple diamonds. Especially in urban areas where the impossibility of crossing a high-speed merge on a city thoroughfare basically makes every exit a town-dividing brick wall.

To be fair, most of these major interchanges are at points where highway revolts canceled continuation of the highways and forced mainline volumes onto tight ramps never designed for that. Had 95 to Canton not already been built when the SW Expressway was canceled, Canton split never would've been built like it was. And neither would many of the others. Braintree split isn't a deficient design...the highways have plenty of capacity and they did all they could physically do with that big rock outcrop the 93 side has to weave through. Growth at the adjoining exits has simply overwhelmed it all with all the shopping that sprung up @ Route 37 and the Red Line park-and-ride @ Burgin, and exit weaving has become the primary problem.

128 is now a top-notch road much better able to absorb accidents and kinks in flow than before, and 495 has always conformed to the most modern interstate specs. So the only things really screwing things up there are the interchanges. They've made a lot of hay on the minor exits doing better accel/decel merges. Now every major delay point is simply at the biggies. And the same is true on the Pike, 91, 24, etc. They flow good except for those individual fucked-up interchanges. This is the be-all/end-all of the expressway network's needs for the next 20 years...smoothing out the single-point kinks and getting all the woefully substandard expressways up to interstate standards (that includes some indirect capacity enhancers like Route 3 add-a-lane to eliminate the breakdown lane travel). It's not capacity-driven priorities. MassDOT still has to shed some last vestiges of old habits re: capacity, but there's definitely some evolution afoot with the overall approach. Which is more than you can say for CTDOT, RIDOT, and especially NHDOT.

Now...if the transit-oriented approach can only evolve a lot faster to catch up we might be onto something sustainable here with the fix-and-augment, don't expand approach to highway asphalt.

Anything that is done here should have as its primary goal making the area more pleasant and safe to walk around. And secondarily, enabling an infill commuter rail station.

Anything that is done here should have as its primary goal making the area more pleasant and safe to walk around. And secondarily, enabling an infill commuter rail station.

Good luck with that one. As you all know I like doing roadway planning for fun, and I've tried a few times with the rotary of death, no clear way to fix it without a lot of demolition. The easiest solution IMO would be to move the exit east near parsons st in brighton, and have newton corner/watertown access be via charlesbank road, nonatum road and north beacon st. The whole intersection there would need to be blown up too, but it needs fixing anyway and other than the only sometimes open pool and a real estate office there aren't any structures to deal with. Possibly keep the onramps in newton corner, but the offramps need to go. There are just too many conflicting traffic patterns going there, and the pike ramps make it that much worse.

291/90 Chicopee
I've actually never had an issue with this one, even though there's a traffic light at the end of the on/off-ramp to the Mass Pike. I've been through it at peak hours and holiday travel days and never been delayed at all really.

91/5/57 Longmeadow
This is a big mess. Prior to I-91 Route 5 used to be a regular street through this area, then it was overlaid with segments of on and off-ramps for I-91. This rats nest of ramps disconnected ped/bike access to/from Longmeadow and the South End Bridge.

Concord Rotary
I'm hoping MassDOT does one of their rotary to roundabout reconfigurations that they've been doing around the state. Those have worked wonders to untangle traffic and make it safer, all for very little money. They did this to the rotary at Route 57 and Route 5 in Agawam and traffic no longer backs up over the bridge to Springfield at rush hours. It's amazing.

Alewife Rotary
The fact that DCR owns this is why it's such a substandard confusing piece of crap. Step 1 should be some lane painting and signal adjustments. I do think a roundabout would work well here, but MassDOT disagrees.

This thing needs to be blown up. The streets should all be two-way and connected in a straightforward fashion. It needs to be made ped/bike friendly.

1A/16/60 rotary, Revere
This is a monstrosity that doesn't work well for anyone. Maybe a roundabout conversation could work for now, but it's just so big and vast I think the speeds would still be too high. Also a disaster currently for peds/bikes.

Good luck with that one. As you all know I like doing roadway planning for fun, and I've tried a few times with the rotary of death, no clear way to fix it without a lot of demolition. The easiest solution IMO would be to move the exit east near parsons st in brighton, and have newton corner/watertown access be via charlesbank road, nonatum road and north beacon st. The whole intersection there would need to be blown up too, but it needs fixing anyway and other than the only sometimes open pool and a real estate office there aren't any structures to deal with. Possibly keep the onramps in newton corner, but the offramps need to go. There are just too many conflicting traffic patterns going there, and the pike ramps make it that much worse.

Would having it be a westbound on-ramp only, and an eastbound off-ramp only (to complement the opposite at West Newton) be helpful at all?

291/90 Chicopee
I've actually never had an issue with this one, even though there's a traffic light at the end of the on/off-ramp to the Mass Pike. I've been through it at peak hours and holiday travel days and never been delayed at all really.

It's horrible at rush hour. I've been stuck on many a Peter Pan bus backed up for miles into Ludlow and Wilbraham. It's a short ramp off Pike WB to the toll plaza, then the traffic light onto 291 that can't even clear the queues out of the tolls. Backs up all the way onto the Pike's right travel lane, rendering WB a one-lane road for miles. Friday afternoons the worst. Certain days it's just as bad as the Longmeadow pinch on 91 and rivals any FUBAR'ed interchange inside 495. All those years they were toying with the idea of add-a-laneing the Pike to 6 lanes between 84 and Springfield it was this interchange that was providing the fuel.

Fix this...plus open-road tolling end-to-end...and pretty much every Pike failure point from 128 to the state line solves itself without any need to add capacity.

Western MA frequently gets forgotten here, but 91/5/57 and 90/291 are both statewide Top 6'ers. I can't imagine what despair it must be to commute from Wilbraham to Hartford each day, a scant 30 miles as the crow flies.

Would having it be a westbound on-ramp only, and an eastbound off-ramp only (to complement the opposite at West Newton) be helpful at all?

Maybe. A WB offramp to the Soldiers Field Rd./N. Beacon rotary and onramp from Nonantum Rd. by Brooks St. would divert a lot of the Watertown Sq. traffic to the nearly empty river roads much better able to handle it than Galen St. West Newton's not pretty, but improvements there could do some further load-spreading away from Corner. Then traffic calming Newton Corner and remaking it a little closer to the Square it used to be pretty much finishes the job at getting everyone who doesn't have to be immediately right there to use the alternatives. It'll be a very delicate balancing act and won't tame the loads too much, but since there's no one killshot that'll solve it and balance the needs of the neighborhoods there aren't many attractive choices other than threading the needle and nudging drivers to the alternatives.

Frankly, that river roads exit--despite being WB only--helps both Allston and Watertown immensely by improving access and taking some load off the city streets.

If you eliminate the westbound onramp, you can neatly bridge Centre Street over that footprint right into Galen.

My only thought is that the express buses use the westbound off-ramp and eastbound on-ramp at Newton Corner. Not sure how you would reroute them; up to West Newton I guess?

My only thought is that the express buses use the westbound off-ramp and eastbound on-ramp at Newton Corner. Not sure how you would reroute them; up to West Newton I guess?

If there's a DMU line running to Riverside all but a handful of the Newton Corner Pike expresses go away in favor of a rail transfer and beefed up locals, so that's probably moot.

The areas that seem very congested these days where I Travel.
#1 Woburn Cummings Centers are a disaster
#2 Route 128--North & South (North Shore Mall)
#3 Burlington Mall area (Absolute Nightmare)
#4 93 North & South
#5 The Cape
#6 Mass PIKE
#7 Boston:
**Seaport District/Greenway Way (getting stuck in these areas at rush hour is painful)
**Comm Ave/Storrow Drive/Fenway

I'm sure I missed a ton of issues elsewhere but what is the overall plan for Transporation?

Where are the solutions/PLANS to help ease up congestion? It's Brutal now

What happened to the Taxpayers investment into infrastructure?

The areas that seem very congested these days where I Travel.
#1 Woburn Cummings Centers are a disaster
93/128 cloverleaf that's a Top 5'er interchange replacement

#2 Route 128--North & South (North Shore Mall)
North Shore segment of 128 is another one that needs to get up to interstate standards on inner and outer shoulder width so it flows better around a disablement. Lot of substandard accel/decel lanes at the exits too. The further you push east, the older and more substandard the infrastructure gets. This is another "eat your peas" one like Route 6 where modern standards w/no capacity expansion solves most of the problems.

Also...quite badly needs that Peabody/North Shore Mall commuter rail extension.

#3 Burlington Mall area (Absolute Nightmare)
3/128 incomplete interchange. Another one from a canceled highway that's carrying more volume than a half-cloverleaf was ever designed to. The backups into Lexington don't ease until this piece of shit gets blown up and remade as a flyover. Another critical priority.

#4 93 North & South
Well, we all know what a hopeless cause the SE Expressway is because they grabbed every inch of asphalt for travel lanes. No place to absorb disablements, and the lanes (esp. when the zipper is active) are so tight any flow kink anywhere amplifies for miles. Expressway is THE poster child for capacity doing more harm than good. I don't know how this is fixable without doing something controversial like eliminating the zipper to restore full shoulders and blitzing a "Fast 14"-style bridge replacement to widen as many shoulder pinches on spans as possible. It's probably impossible to fix this.

Somerville/Medford would flow better if they fixed the string of shitty interchanges at McGrath, Mystic Ave., and 16. Reading/Woburn would work better if the 128 cloverleaf were fixed. Other than that it is an 8-lane full-spec interstate with good exit layout. That's pure, raw volume and not a whole lot they can do about that other than more transit...LOTS more transit.

#5 The Cape
Yup. And let's see 6 get all its sub-interstate spec parts smoothed over and a full commuter rail extension before pondering capacity-increasers. And then build the Bourne Flyover, then the Southside Connector before pondering half-billion dollar bridges. They are so far in the hole on easy finesse work to the 6 shoulders and ramp geometry that they have no idea what its true level of service is as an expressway.

#6 Mass PIKE
Definitely agree Newton-Allston around the problem interchanges that need to be nuked and remade. Open road tolling will snap the rest of it Sturbridge-Framingham into line since the tolls themselves are what cause the backups. Especially at 84. I bet the Friday afternoon 10 miles in hell between 290 and 84 vanishes in entirety when the I-84 exit goes full speed limit. Rest to the west probably gets mitigated well enough by fixing the 291 clusterfuck and continuing to siphon more long-distance trucking to Albany onto rail intermodal (those volumes have already started to level off with the CSX freight project).

I'd like to see how well the Weston tolls respond to open road tolling before prioritizing that interchange's redesign. It might buy 10 or 15 years to take care of other top interchange priorities if that one got better in the process.

#7 Boston:
**Seaport District/Greenway Way (getting stuck in these areas at rush hour is painful)
**Comm Ave/Storrow Drive/Fenway

No good ideas for downtown, but Storrow and Fenway are prime induced demand locations ripe for a taming. Bowker in particular, with more Pike WB ramps and toll-free travel between Southie and Allston yanking a lot of traffic off Storrow that should be using the Pike.

Comm Ave. just needs the rebuild project to keep proceeding west to Warren St. And rebuild the BU Bridge batshittery. The lane drop east to Kenmore actually improved things with the capacity reduction by eliminating so much weaving and timing the lights better. That'll help to the west, as will compacting the Mountfort/Carlton/Bridge octopus. I think this will get better over time. And don't underestimate the impact of simply replacing all the 'dumb' BTD traffic lights with smart signals. It's not just transit priority that benefits if they're programmed for better flow.

What I am seeing especially in Burlington/Woburn/Downtown is they continue to BUILD without ever upgrading infrastructure. It's to the point that they are overbuilding in capicty in these areas like most of the other desirable areas in the state.

I believe the North Shore seems very desirable to live in Mass but expansion needs to start going out WEST.

Massachusetts needs MEGA MONEY to invest in a better GRID along with a massive expansion of MBTA. Why isn't this happening? I'm tired of sitting in TRAFFIC on a daily basis

F-Line for Dudley you should be running the Dept. of Transporation along with the MBTA with a Accountant telling you what is actually possible financially.

The SE Expressway would be a very tough fix given that there are spots where development goes right up against the roadway. That's the case in some other areas that need improving too.

Ideally the SE Expressway would have 4 full travel lanes in each direction and a full breakdown lane in each direction. Then you would have dedicated HOV lane(s) in the middle that switch depending on what time of day it way. Think the JFK Expressway in Chicago.

Just out of curiosity, even after the SW corridor was abandoned, was there any thought about connecting 95 at the Canton split to the Truman Parkway?

Just out of curiosity, even after the SW corridor was abandoned, was there any thought about connecting 95 at the Canton split to the Truman Parkway?

Wow, great question. I never really noticed that the end of Truman points directly at the Canton split. As it is, it's a big road to nowhere.

Back