Nominations: ArchBoston best new developments 2013-2017

tysmith95

Reaction score
I'll create a poll later once the nominations are in. Best new developments 2013-2017.

Please put in nominations that are either finished or have substantial portions finished.

My nominations:
Millennium Tower (obs)
Assembly Row (not finished but I love the ground level)
Lovejoy Wharf

Last edited:
Are we going to have a “best u/c development” category?

I guess we should. Maybe most exciting u/c or approved projects.

Just it's hard to compare renders to how it acutally turns out. For example I liked the Pierce much more in renders then how it turned out.

Last edited:
Mass art treehouse.
A street residential tower

- Northeastern University Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Center

northeasternexterior5.jpg

- Suffolk University Academic Building 20 Somerset St

Suffolk%20University_600x350.jpg

- PwC 101 Seaport Blvd

scottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.jpg

- 10 Farnsworth St

38389853704_67fed81dd2_b.jpg

- Godfrey Hotel 59 Temple Place

222745.jpg

- Berklee College of Music Dorm Tower 168 Mass Ave

2846D_3988_0.jpg

- Lovejoy Wharf Hoffman Building, Converse HQ

3_LovejoyWharf2.jpg

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on Channel Center now that it's a few years old? I'm not saying it necessarily deserves to be on this list; just curious if the color scheme rubs people the right way or if they think it's obnoxious. I still like the splash of color it adds to the area.

Also I'll second the MassArt Tree House. As a piece of design, I'm hard pressed to think of anything made in the last decade that approaches its chutzpah.

EDIT: have to add the Chevron onto this list, and maybe give 225 Centre an honorable mention for being what Boston needs 3,000 more of.

Last edited:
- PwC 101 Seaport Blvd

I acutally like 121 Seaport Blvd better as it's a circle and not a box.

Though together I acutally find that they complement each other well.

I haven't been over to that area recent to see how the ground level is shaping up though.

Last edited:
Best by a very wide margin is the rehabilitation of the Ferdinand Building and the stunning addition (the Bruce Bolling Municipal Building) by Francine Houben/Mecanoo.

This is real architecture, thoughtfully imagined, and executed with proper materials.

More like this, please...

I acutally like 121 Seaport Blvd better as it's a circle and not a box.

I like 121, but the proportions, form, and overall design are extremely refined/perfected with 101. Despite it being a box, I think there is still a lot of architectural merit with 101.

121 with the same amount of refinement and quality materials would have been an absolute winner...

What are people's thoughts on Channel Center now that it's a few years old? I'm not saying it necessarily deserves to be on this list; just curious if the color scheme rubs people the right way or if they think it's obnoxious. I still like the splash of color it adds to the area.

At first I hated it, but I welcome the colors now. Not the best development for sure, but in my opinion those splashes of color are just enough to make it stand out but not too much. [I know it's currently by itself so it naturally stands out, but in a few years it won't be]

Conley Terminal Dedicated Freight Corridor

SilverLine to Chelsea

Continuum
MetroMark Apartments
The Eddy
The Merc (fantastic urban building)
Harvard Kennedy School reconstruction
Room & Board (Newbury and Mass Ave)
The Harlo
New Balance Center office building

Honestly it's been a really good stretch, all things considered. Plenty of dense, urban buildings going up all around the inner ring. Decent architecture and the street levels are usually great.

Some personal favorites:

451 Marlborough Street
290 Cambridge Street
Liberty Mutual
Millennium III
Ferdinand Building
Our Lady of Good Voyage
One Channel Center
315 on A
Chevron
Lovejoy Wharf
Ink Block

And some other that might be considered:

Avalon Exeter
Radian
Van Ness
Viridian
MetroMark Apartments (JP)
One Greenway
Troy Boston
AVA Theater District
Hong Lok
Girard

AVA Theater District

Think that might be the only one nominated on both the worst and the best lists. Interesting.

Personally I like the street level (on Stuart). The rest of it is meh.

One Seaport Square
Lovejoy Wharf
Mass Art Treehouse dorm

MassArt Treehouse: Great project but already won best development in 2012.

The Bruce Bolling Municipal Building, Northeastern University ISEC, Maya Lin Novartis Building, Boston Public Library Renovation, Harvard Fogg Museum Renovation, MGH Museum.

Back