North End Piazza on The Greenway | 198 Hanover Street | North End

Re: Retail Development | 198 Hanover Street | North End

Why not allow the restaurants to spill out more onto that huge sidewalk. The outdoor seating is mostly just one row along the outside of the building. It's a great spot for some real nice Al Fresco dining.

They could have tried to match the building with the surrounding context (aka brick), but nah.

Why not allow the restaurants to spill out more onto that huge sidewalk. The outdoor seating is mostly just one row along the outside of the building. It's a great spot for some real nice Al Fresco dining.

Because then it wouldn't be possible to park cars on the brick. Check out the bollards - this is going to continue to be a de-facto parking lot.

Because then it wouldn't be possible to park cars on the brick. Check out the bollards - this is going to continue to be a de-facto parking lot.

I didn't notice that. Is the white strip on the ground a big curb cut? With the bollards just wide enough to let a car through? That is terrible!

Why isn't this 3 or 4 stories tall? What a waste.

I like the style, although I agree that one floor of housing would have been a reasonable addition.

What??? I thought the bollards were to keep freaking cars OUT! If that's true, then this development is a total fail in my opinion. Few things in a city look more trashy that parked cars on on a plaza. I hate seeing cars parked on City Hall Plaza or around and in the City Service Center.

Last edited:

While I would be happy for this to be taller, I for one actually like seeing the sides and backs of old buildings, including the ones behind this building. Even the utilitarian side/back facades of these old buildings can be really interesting, especially with beautifully aged brick.

The biggest improvement here would be turning the 'street' in front of this building into just a sidewalk so that we could have retail seating spill out further into the sidewalk, and maybe even park a food truck or two here?

I love the contrasting style with the old brick. The bollards and parking situation sucks. Hopefully they get push back of some sort.

replace the parking area with giant arbors, a la columbus park

The bollards exist on other North End blocks fronting the Greenway. A bone thrown to the North End as the Big Dig was concluding?

Methinks that taller would be a non-starter with the fire department. Those apartment buildings on Salem St and Hanover that butt end each other seem to have a problematic or non-existent second means of egress other than via fire department aerial ladders thrown up against the building, and over the top of this two story building. And which also may explain the bollards.

The bollards exist on other North End blocks fronting the Greenway. A bone thrown to the North End as the Big Dig was concluding?

Methinks that taller would be a non-starter with the fire department. Those apartment buildings on Salem St and Hanover that butt end each other seem to have a problematic or non-existent second means of egress other than via fire department aerial ladders thrown up against the building, and over the top of this two story building. And which also may explain the bollards.

Hum, what ever happened to fire escape regulations? Or is the North End "exempted" $$$ from them?

Seems ISD could solve that issue pronto quick if they wanted to.

Also if the bollard protected area is a fire lane, why is it not posted as a fire lane? Why is parking allowed? Seems like simply classic Boston graft and corruption in action to me.

Hum, what ever happened to fire escape regulations? Or is the North End "exempted" $$$ from them?

Seems ISD could solve that issue pronto quick if they wanted to.

Also if the bollard protected area is a fire lane, why is it not posted as a fire lane? Why is parking allowed? Seems like simply classic Boston graft and corruption in action to me.

The buildings on that end section of Hanover look to be 19th Century. There are two narrow passageways leading to the rear; by narrow, less than three feet. On that mirror opposite section of Salem St., there are no passageways leading to the rear.

Definitely wouldn't be allowed today by zoning and code.

Who knows what sort of merde is allowed because its grandfathered.

I know of a house near me, older house, valued in the seven figures. There is no shutoff inside the house for the water supply line. To shut off the water into the house, you'd need to call the Water Dept. and have them come and turn it off from the street.

I had an aunt and uncle whose house was originally an archdiocese of Boston church rectory, built in the 1920s. This was the type of wiring in the cellar, --into the 21st Century.

knt1.jpg

The buildings on that end section of Hanover look to be 19th Century. There are two narrow passageways leading to the rear; by narrow, less than three feet. On that mirror opposite section of Salem St., there are no passageways leading to the rear.

Definitely wouldn't be allowed today by zoning and code.

Who knows what sort of merde is allowed because its grandfathered.

I know of a house near me, older house, valued in the seven figures. There is no shutoff inside the house for the water supply line. To shut off the water into the house, you'd need to call the Water Dept. and have them come and turn it off from the street.

I had an aunt and uncle whose house was originally an archdiocese of Boston church rectory, built in the 1920s. This was the type of wiring in the cellar, --into the 21st Century.

knt1.jpg

That lack of rear access issue is usually solved in other parts of Boston via building to building fire escapes. Basically exterior connections window to window that cross firewalls. These buildings should be failing fire inspection on change of ownership! ($ across palms).

I encountered porcelain insulator main bus wiring like that in a house in Back Bay a few years ago -- with an even scarier difference -- it was never insulated. Just bare copper conductors carrying the main bus of the house from the street to the fuse panel.

Mods, we also could change the title to "North End Piazza on The Greenway | 198 Hanover Street | North End" based on the project's new name.

Forgot about this. I like it a lot. Encircling the greenway with drinks, dinning, retail... is going to be amazing.

Was there an explanation of why there is such a set back? Is there a tunnel below?

Back