North Quincy Station Redevelopment | Quincy

DrFreewind

Reaction score
Redevelopment of the North Quincy Red Line Station

...the vision for the site has focused on providing Quincy residents with easy commuting options, vibrancy through a transit-oriented lifestyle of apartments and neighborhood retail, and pedestrian and bike lane improvements adjacent to this major transit hub. This proposed development will consist of approximately 610 apartments, 50,000 square feet of retail and separate parking for MBTA commuters, residents, and retail patrons. This is an exciting opportunity for the City, which will bring proven smart-growth planning practices to this gateway location.

https://northquincystation.com/
https://www.mbta.com/projects/north-quincy-garage-and-development
https://callahan-inc.com/project/north-quincy-station-redevelopment/

Residential portion will be called "The Abby"

i.php

nq2.jpg

nq1.jpg

Some recent pictures from 12/13/2019

20191213212639-53adfa58-la.jpg

20191213212633-f15d54b2-la.jpg

And a nearby development - 1 Newport

20191213213143-6eae2c3f-la.jpg

Last edited:
Developers are finally learning to bury the garage behind the buildings, and using all available street frontage for rentable space, good to see. We saw this at the Riverside proposals too. Assembly unfortunately got the memo too late, but the new devs there seem to be following this trend finally.

A lot of housing has also been built nearby on Hancock st. The whole Norfolk Downs neighborhood looks so much more urban.

Developers are finally learning to bury the garage behind the buildings, and using all available street frontage for rentable space, good to see. We saw this at the Riverside proposals too. Assembly unfortunately got the memo too late, but the new devs there seem to be following this trend finally.
It's a shame there isn't full retail frontage along Hancock. It would have basically created a new urban village that connects the commercial district further down the road to the new buildings sprouting up in the other direction down Hancock, towards the river. Also would have been nice if they decked the building over the bus loop on West Squantum. Would have integrated the station a bit better into the neighborhood.

Actually, this is identical to Assembly. The garage isn't surrounded on all sides - this development will look just like Assembly from the train.

Not much good things to say about this.
Way too small.
It's a train station just a few thousand feet from Downtown, the Seaport & Back Bay.
Should have been 1200~1500 units. At least that w/ a very low parking/unit ratio.
That would have given a huge boost to all that retail.
You're kind of here. You ain't going far except with the train or UBER.....
That would have ensured it might all be a big success. Frankly, when they do retail, it needs to be a smash hit.
This project is closer to a bad joke than the procedural missed opportunity.
If it was NJ, it would be 1800~2500 units.

It's a shame there isn't full retail frontage along Hancock. It would have basically created a new urban village that connects the commercial district further down the road to the new buildings sprouting up in the other direction down Hancock, towards the river.

Last edited:
Not much good things to say about this.
Way too small.
It's a train station just a few thousand feet from Downtown, the Seaport & Back Bay.
Should have been 1200~1500 units. At least that.
That would have given a huge boost to all that retail,
and ensured it might be a big success. Anytime you do retail, it needs to be a smash hit.
This project is closer to a bad joke than the procedural missed opportunity.
If it was NJ, it would be 1800~2500 units.

Are you sure you're thinking about the right project? This is in Quincy, about 6 miles from any of that. Don't get me wrong, it could have been done way better but a large part of that is the people of Quincy who already howl about how little parking there is and how the city is "selling them out" to developers.

Screw 'em. Every town w/ transit needs to step up.
The nimby's can pound sand, move to Braintree, Norwell, Carver, Easton etc.

feet vs miles.
i'm often guilty of deflating distance in the literal sense.
Our scale tends to get distorted by our micro-sized communities.
Boston has core "San Francisco-ization" creeping up upon provincial, post-war sprawl.
Ask 10 different people and you get 10 different answers.
Should Quincy evolve to become more like Somerville, or be like Watertown or Waltham?
They have a superhighway running through--and transit. That tends to draw it in a bit closer.
Where does Boston end? The City limit or 128?
Are we allowed ask? i'm closer to the 128 view of things.
i tend to look forward more, edged on by a push to densify eastern Massachusetts.
Quincy is a few thousand feet from what (i view to be)........
that being what constitutes the "core of" not necessarily Boston, but the Boston area.

Last edited:
I found some renders, I put them in the top post.

I'm hoping that someone will buy the mcdonalds/office building and come to an agreement with the city to build a new fire station along with retail and housing on that parcel, then build another building on the old fire station and gas station next door. But that's just dreaming 🤷‍♂️

Actually, this is identical to Assembly. The garage isn't surrounded on all sides - this development will look just like Assembly from the train.

No its not, Assembly has garages facing the street, and thats what I was talking about. Nobody cares about a garage facing train tracks, no pedestrians walk there, but facing the street kills the streetscape.

Screw 'em. Every town w/ transit needs to step up.
The nimby's can pound sand, move to Braintree, Norwell, Carver, Easton etc.

feet vs miles.
i'm often guilty of deflating distance in the literal sense.
Our scale tends to get distorted by our micro-sized communities.
Boston has core "San Francisco-ization" creeping up upon provincial, post-war sprawl.
Ask 10 different people and you get 10 different answers.
Should Quincy evolve to become more like Somerville, or be like Watertown or Waltham?
They have a superhighway running through--and transit. That tends to draw it in a bit closer.
Where does Boston end? The City limit or 128?
Are we allowed ask? i'm closer to the 128 view of things.
i tend to look forward more, edged on by a push to densify eastern Massachusetts.
Quincy is a few thousand feet from what (i view to be)........
that being what constitutes the "core of" not necessarily Boston, but the Boston area.
I agree with your vision of the metro area and what Quincy should be evolving towards but as a Quincy resident who commutes an hour to the Back Bay I don't feel like its exactly next door.

You're 100% correct ^^^. Conceptually, I consider Quincy as much a part of "Boston" as Camberville, Brookline, etc., *but* whenever I have to go there for a show or to visit friends it's about an hour from Somerville -- and I'm minutes from 93 South. All that said, as has been pointed out, given that so much of Quincy is directly on the Red Line, it really needs to up its "city game." I have no idea what Quincy was like in 1960, but in 2019 and beyond it needs to be understood as what it is: very much a part of the urban core.

Is this one phase? Hard to tell based off the website language..

This project's concept is very likely to be incorporated at Wollaston's T station in 10+ years time when the next construction boom happens...

Oh man please tell me Chase is about to plop in a nice drive through ATM and a dozen+ parking spaces across the street. Of course.

Now THIS is Suburban bland

That photo spread reminds me of one of those insufferable Google captchas where you have to keep playing whack-a-mole with the repeating pictures of traffic lights or crosswalks before you're allowed to proceed to the next webpage. Only here every time I clicky away one parking garage another appears immediately in its place. :oops:

I want to meet the people responsible for drawing elevations like this. Is it just like the mother-in-law of a development firm for a couple hours a week? This is comically bad across the board.

Back