North Station Gateway | 251 Causeway St | Bulfinch Triangle

bakgwailo

Reaction score
Causeway Street Skyscraper Plan Surfaces in West End

Newton developer RMR Group is seeking to redevelop a cluster of parcels at the corner of Causeway and North Washington streets with a 700-foot mixed-use tower, according to neighborhood civic associations that are asking the Boston Planning & Development Agency for information on the zoning bylaws that would be applied to the project.

Well, maybe I was wrong about no more tall proposals, although I will believe this one when I actually see it.

Looks like positive change is coming to this area. Crazy to think a central downtown location has a 100 ft height limit next to one of New England's premier multimodel transit hub in a housing crisis. Very excited to see this proposal.

Is this an actual proposal, formally submitted, or more or less a fantasy? I don’t see any project specific documents. But perhaps I am just bad at navigating Boston project info!

Is this an actual proposal, formally submitted, or more or less a fantasy? I don’t see any project specific documents. But perhaps I am just bad at navigating Boston project info!

It's best to ask this kind of question in the "What's happening with project X" thread. It's where you are most likely to get a good answer and it won't bump a thread when there is no new info

It's best to ask this kind of question in the "What's happening with project X" thread. It's where you are most likely to get a good answer and it won't bump a thread when there is no new info
Yep! I am aware, however, latest post was less than 24 hours ago so its not really a bump… just asking clarification from post #4 made yesterday.

LOI submitted. Please move this if I posted in the wrong place.

".......The Project Site currently includes an approximately 143,000-square-foot office
building, an approximately 56,000-square-foot office building, and a six (6) unit residential
apartment building. The office buildings are almost totally vacant, and efforts to re-tenant
them have not been successful.

The Project will involve the construction of a new approximately 40-story mixed-
use building totaling approximately 600,000 square feet, including approximately 300
hotel rooms
, approximately 420 residential units, approximately 30,000 square feet of
retail, restaurant and amenity space
, and three levels of parking in a below-grade garage......."
------------------------

Yes, yes, a trillion times yes!!!!!!

My only concern is that this one will be a very very tough sell in that location. They keep on saying "West End", but it really is faces the North End, right on North Washington Street across from Filippo's. That neighborhood ain't nevah gonna have this. I hope I'm wrong, because this would be GREAT for Boston.

The current building:

What it faces:

Last edited:
The mad lads are really going for it... and yeah, this is nowhere near the West End. This is even at the edge of the Bullfinch Triangle.

40 stories puts us in the same range as the Hub on Causeway and the Alcott. Interestingly, the Alcott only has 470 units in its 44 stories, while this is also cramming in the hotel rooms. Must be just from taking up the whole parcel with the building footprint.

Here's a model of why the North End is going to go ballistic. Google is way behind on the 3D buildings so Hub on Causeway and One Congress and The Sudbury aren't visible here when they should be, but they're much farther from the neighborhood.

1724959197726.png

Last edited:
The mad lads are really going for it... and yeah, this is nowhere near the West End. This is even at the edge of the Bullfinch Triangle.

40 stories puts us in the same range as the Hub on Causeway and the Alcott. Interestingly, the Alcott only has 470 units in its 44 stories, while this is also cramming in the hotel rooms. Must be just from taking up the whole parcel with the building footprint.

Here's a model of why the North End is going to go ballistic. Google is way behind on the 3D buildings so Hub on Causeway and One Congress and The Sudbury aren't visible here when they should be, but they're much farther from the neighborhood.

View attachment 54705
Google Maps 3D view has up-to-date renderings of new construction. Here's a mock-up with zero setbacks for the neighborhood groups to carve into:

Screen Shot 2024-08-29 at 3.57.19 PM.png

That helps a lot with the buzz cut effect that has been created here recently. It honestly would look a lot better if it were further inland and to the right in that image to keep with the step up effect away from the water that boston does so well… but beggers cant be choosers and we need the housing, build.

(No chance this gets built at 700 ft, my guess would be the absolute best case scenario would be equal to the existing buzz cut).

Aesthetically in this spot it would actually look best if it were about 50% - 75% of the height of the verizon tower and thats probably the most likely scenario that happens here. Though if it gets cut down that much it may not even pencil out, idk. I’m surprised they arent trying to retrofit the existing offices into residential, a brick mid rise like that would be a good candidate.

what is the zoning height (mandated by FAA) for that area?
This parcel is in the "general area" subdistrict of the Bulfinch Triangle District. The as-of-right maximum height permitted by zoning in this subdistrict is either 80' or 100', depending on the specifics of the proposal. The guidelines for the Bulfinch Triangle District are detailed in this document. This excerpt explains the distinction between the 80' maximum and the 100' maximum:
SECTION 46-6. Maximum Building Height and Floor Area Ratio. A Proposed Project within the Bulfinch Triangle District is allowed a maximum building height of eighty (80) feet and a floor area ratio (FAR) of 6; provided that any Proposed Project shall be allowed a maximum building height of one hundred (100) feet and a maximum FAR of seven (7) if such Proposed Project is subject to or has elected to comply with Large Project Review and has received a Certification of Compliance pursuant to Section 80B-6. In addition, any Proposed Project shall be allowed a maximum FAR of eight (8) if all uses with street frontage located on the ground level are uses described in Appendix A to this Article, and such Proposed Project is subject to or has elected to comply with Large Project Review, has received a Certification of Compliance pursuant to Section 80B-6, and complies with the provisions of this Section 46-6.

It looks like they're dropping the initial proposal from 700' to about 500'. That will make 5 buildings of nearly equal height within the same skyline "blob" surrounding North Station. Kind of disappointing to be honest. It's like a redux of the North Station residential downgrade.

It looks like they're dropping the initial proposal from 700' to about 500'. That will make 5 buildings of nearly equal height within the same skyline "blob" surrounding North Station. Kind of disappointing to be honest. It's like a redux of the North Station residential downgrade.

It still won't happen at that height. The North Enders will kill it if it's above 320-350'.

The best possibility for 700'ers would be Rappaport City (The West End Park).

Back