Northeastern to Build in Burlington

I went to college to study, not to have a free gym membership. I believe most of the other students thought the same.

Funny . . . I went to school to experiment with drugs and get laid. But maybe I'm dating myself . . .

The broken windoe was on the 3rd floor of CAS, comm ave side, the last classroom. That was...3 or 4 years ago? So it's been fixed.

I have no problem with the BU professors. Many of them are excellent, some are not that great at teaching, same as any other institution. Some of them like shiny things like new flat screens and dont complain, others dislike having to take their class outside because it is dangerously hot in the classroom. 87 degrees outside and the building heat is on at full blast, and the windows are sealed shut? Not good.

The thing is, BU does plan on renovating the buildings. They are replacing the old windows, including those that got bolted shut, with news one as I write this. It is not like they they are just putting every dollar into making everything pretty and ignoring all the things that's not on the tour. Could things be faster and better prioritized? Probably yes, but I doubt that there is a deliberate policy. Many times it is not even by the higher administration. For example, the BU Law School just gave an upgrade to the computers with new monitors, keyboards, and mouses and some RAM. Some students have mentioned about the waste of money to replacing the monitors. However, they do not know that the old monitors was dying like flies and the 3 year warranty just expired.

I had no problem with a reduction in print quota. When you give something away for free, it's abused. The problem was removing the computer labs and study lounges. Taking the one public study space in south campus and making it bike storage? It blows the mind.

And, you see, I rebutted in the past that the old labs (with the one exception at South Campus) have been converted to nice study rooms. I also rebutted that the study rooms still have 2-3 computers that is perfect for short use and printing. Also, I noted that most of the use in those rooms was for Facebook than for anything productive. Student just don't write papers in those labs very often and admitted to that guilt in every discussion we have about that.

I always respond, but obviously Im not on this forum all day. And Im in California now, so theres a time difference.

Then you missed my past responses written of when you previously written about BU

Student facilities? You mean a lack of shiny gyms and even shinier dorms? That's an odd thing to complain about, I went to college to study, not to have a free gym membership. I believe most of the other students thought the same. I never met someone who said "I'm so glad 12 flat screen TVs were purchased and installed in a study space!"

This is an exaggeration. When did BU put 12 flat screens in a study space? Students do complain and BU do react accordingly. It is not just BU who doing this too. Even schools in the Ivy League are upgrading student facilities, but have questionable academic value. State schools like UMass Amherst are following suite and doing the same as well. When I worked over the summer for a person who works for the Faculty Council, one of the conversations that the schools all over the country are locked into an arms race of student facilities. It is not just BU, but we still gripe like it is only BU.

It is ironic to note that Silber actually bucked the trend when he was in power. When student asked for cable TV for the dorms, Silber retorted that students are here to study and not watch TV. You can say that he has a point, but it did not win over the students very well and it shows in the giving rate.

And even then, I don't understand why building fit-rec had to result in the closing of 5 smaller work-out rooms. Or why they want to build a new dining hall and close 3. Or why they closed 6 computer labs. Consolidation of facilities does not work with such a large university. Does it save money? Arguably. How many decades could the dorm gyms be run for the price of fit-rec?

My understanding that is that BU cut hours and did not shut them down. Though I can go check them again and see if they are actually gone now. If it is, I guess I have to concede a point. However, if BU only kept the old gym facilities and never built Fitrec, I wouldn't be using them. Unless they once had more equipment, I had little use for treadmills and stationary bicycles. I have much greater use of the track, punching bags, free weights and basketball courts. Then again, this is arguably a gender issue. Not that many girls have use for the basketball courts, punching bags, and free weights and most guys have little use for the treadmill and bicycles.

For the 6 computer labs, like I said above, the labs are that not that big of a loss.

This is probably not the right thread but I don't think news is big enough to warrant it's own thread. Maybe we could change the title to Northeastern's Satellite Campus Thread.

Northeastern closer to Charlotte campus
Charlotte Business Journal - by Erik Spanberg
Date: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 5:21pm EDT

Northeastern University is gearing up for a Charlotte graduate school, hiring Central Piedmont Community College campus dean Cheryl Richards to lead the effort.

Richards, 42, confirmed the move in an interview Tuesday, saying she hopes the school will win approval from the N.C. Board of Governors within the next several months. She has been hired as the lead executive in the bid for a Charlotte location.

?I am very hopeful at this point,? she says. ?We?ve been encouraged by a lot of support from the business community.?

Richards came to CPCC seven years ago. In her current role, she is dean of the Cato Campus and presides over the professional careers division. The Charlotte Business Journal first reported Northeastern?s interest in a Charlotte satellite graduate school last summer.
If and when the school is approved, the classrooms will be located in what Richards describes as ?a prominent uptown location.?

Northeastern University would add to the city?s higher-education roster, which includes nearby Johnson & Wales University and Johnson C. Smith University, as well as UNC Charlotte?s $50 million, 143,000-square-foot building opening this summer. Wake Forest University plans to relocate its MBA program to uptown in 2012.

Richards will leave CPCC at the end of this month.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...stern-closer-to-charlotte-campus.html?s=print

A little old, printed in March 3rd.

Has there been any news regarding what the satellite graduate school is for? The other satellite campuses seem to have specific programs (homeland security, marine science, etc.).

A Northeastern alumni publication mentioned that it would be graduate programs only in Charlotte.

Back