Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

I heard on the news this morning (WCVB), that today was the groundbreaking for the Ruggles upgrade and ISEC bridge. I can't find anything indicating that though.

-d

I saw MassDOT tweeting about it: https://twitter.com/MassDOT/status/899982339819917312
DH1hKsiXkAAF2rQ.jpg:large

The Robert Campbell article I linked above mentioned that the ARC will be a single span simplified version of the original. But he said it would still be an impressive crossing. Anyone see the revised design?

So is the northern section of that CR platform abandoned?

Very yes. It has been since my freshman year at NU (2011) at least.

I graduated from NU in '09. I never remember the northern part being open at all. Its always had that fence across it, as far as I remember.

Also, does anyone have any renders or layouts of what Ruggles will look like? Or should we move this aspect of the conversation to the MBTA thread?

I'm very surprised at the amount of fill they have brought to the site (North end mainly). Did/do they have a drainage issue at this site?

Anecdotally, YES! That field would regularly puddle and be a mud pit most of the year IIRC. My friends and I use to play frisbee on it during summer evenings when we were living on Columbus (NU residence halls), and the field would be saturated for up to a few days after most storms.

Honestly, I'm surprised the school/city didn't explore constructing an underground garage here. The real estate that would've freed up where the Squashbusters Garage is could've been a great opportunity for the university.

Anecdotally, YES! That field would regularly puddle and be a mud pit most of the year IIRC. My friends and I use to play frisbee on it during summer evenings when we were living on Columbus (NU residence halls), and the field would be saturated for up to a few days after most storms.

Honestly, I'm surprised the school/city didn't explore constructing an underground garage here. The real estate that would've freed up where the Squashbusters Garage is could've been a great opportunity for the university.

Northeastern has a surplus of parking as it is.

But the ability to replace that garage with an academic building would have been good.

5 tennis courts, 0 basketball courts?

Really?

According to a Northeastern online presentation the next building projects will be:
Burlington Research Building (starting this winter)
Nahant Research Building
ISEC II
DMSB Building

I may be a bit biased as an alum but I'm really pleased with how this turned out. The atrium is stunning (and open to the public!) so I'd recommend seeing it for yourself if you're in the area.

Back