Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

Gonna be wicked cool to walk the area once completed.....

Hope the Punter's Pub can be developed in a way that preserves the Pub for a new Cafe/Pub type of place.

Definitely need to push for that.

I heard that the Punter's/Pizza building and the two brownstones will be redeveloped as an academic building (or a mixed use building) with a flatiron design. Whether there is a pub on the first floor is another issue. NU paid $500,000 for that little triangle of land and they have big plans for it.

Nice pics – thanks, stevebikes!

I heard that this stretch of Columbus will have the pointless median removed and be getting protected bike lanes. Can anyone confirm if this is related to Northeastern's work, or is it totally separate? It definitely looks like those new sidewalks are plenty wide enough for a sidewalk-level bike lane, which would be great for connecting the SW Corridor to the Back Bay....

The Southwest Corridor Path will continue along the new Carter playground in the same style that NU built in front of ISEB. It was like 3ft wide before construction began. The path turns onto Camden St to connect to the rest of the path towards Mass Ave station (along "Watson St" according to Google). Separately, the City is repaving Columbus and removing the median, which allows for parking protected bike lanes. Each facility serves a purpose, with the path going towards the station and the bike lanes heading further down Columbus towards Downtown.

i was talking about the 1/2 hexagon bldg.

Then i read DD's post (w/ the price) -- which answered it.

i was talking about the 1/2 hexagon bldg.

Then i read DD's post (w/ the price) -- which answered it.

That is already NU property (Burstein and Rubenstein). I doubt they have any desire to save it, especially if their goal isn’t just student housing.

Nice pics – thanks, stevebikes!

I heard that this stretch of Columbus will have the pointless median removed and be getting protected bike lanes. Can anyone confirm if this is related to Northeastern's work, or is it totally separate? It definitely looks like those new sidewalks are plenty wide enough for a sidewalk-level bike lane, which would be great for connecting the SW Corridor to the Back Bay....

Here's how it works now (facing east, just having passed Ruggles):

42621057941_9bfd37e0eb_h.jpg

With a regular old door-zone bike lane in the street:

27752228097_2034056112_h.jpg

It looks like they're keeping the layout:

27752227967_efb1604465_h.jpg

40812943800_cd3018a537_h.jpg

The Southwest Corridor Path will continue along the new Carter playground in the same style that NU built in front of ISEB. It was like 3ft wide before construction began. The path turns onto Camden St to connect to the rest of the path towards Mass Ave station (along "Watson St" according to Google). Separately, the City is repaving Columbus and removing the median, which allows for parking protected bike lanes. Each facility serves a purpose, with the path going towards the station and the bike lanes heading further down Columbus towards Downtown.

Quoting myself because I had already answered the last few questions!

Quoting myself because I had already answered the last few questions!

Yep, that makes a lot of sense and is ideal for the multiple uses along Columbus. Thanks!

And thanks, steve, for the pictures - much easier to understand the changes. I'm digging it.

So according to the aerial render above, theyre not even gonna bother with a bike connection to the next leg of the southwest corridor. Great planning. Doesnt the cross street currently have a bike track on it, albeit horrible and unusable?

So according to the aerial render above, theyre not even gonna bother with a bike connection to the next leg of the southwest corridor. Great planning. Doesnt the cross street currently have a bike track on it, albeit horrible and unusable?

It's going to be a mixed use path (wide sidewalk) on Camden St to make the connection.

Ran by here on Saturday and did not stop to take pictures because it's too damn hot, but they were busy working on the Camden St sidewalk and it looked like the entire sidewalk along Columbus was done. They had even planted flowers along most of it. Hopefully a few more weeks?

Ran by here on Saturday and did not stop to take pictures because it's too damn hot, but they were busy working on the Camden St sidewalk and it looked like the entire sidewalk along Columbus was done. They had even planted flowers along most of it. Hopefully a few more weeks?

Grand ribbon cutting September 14th per Northeastern website. There will be wall to wall politicians.

Back