Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

There is Cullinane Hall, which is the Computer Science building and there is Churchill Hall, where the President's office is located. I think there is a Rebecca's down there now. It used to be a toally hack, yet wonderful dining hall that had slightly better food than the dorms. They always had a killer chocolate cake for sale by the slice.

There is Cullinane Hall, which is the Computer Science building and there is Churchill Hall, where the President's office is located. I think there is a Rebecca's down there now. It used to be a toally hack, yet wonderful dining hall that had slightly better food than the dorms. They always had a killer chocolate cake for sale by the slice.

FYI, Cullinane Hall is no longer the computer science building. That program is now housed in West Village H.

Yes you are correct that there is a Rebecca's in the basement of Churchill Hall.

Yes I was thinking of Churchill Hall, where there was a nice quiet eatery before it got turned into a Rebecca's. Used to be the best secret on campus.

0B7si7aM3IAqUcV9ldE1Bc29wNWM

0B7si7aM3IAqUMGZuS0ZKQUhQU0k

Looks a bit like an old fashioned car radiator or perhaps the Condenser of an Air Conditioner :rolleyes:

HA!
I was thinking baseboard heating...

Weirdly this is not far off. The fins are soaking up solar radiation so that the heat does not get trapped inside. Sometimes you can be joking and be right at the same time.

cca

No way this will be finished by September as originally planned. I am even skeptical about a January occupancy.

Weirdly this is not far off. The fins are soaking up solar radiation so that the heat does not get trapped inside. Sometimes you can be joking and be right at the same time.

cca

CCA -- Please explain -- I would presume that somewhere within NEU there is a course or at least a book that includes the Laws of Thermodynamics

images

Mechanics/Dynamics/Structural Eng wasn't bad.

Thermo wasn't bad.

But Fluid Mechanics GEEBUS killed off any hope of actual sleep if it didn't damn near kill us. :) :banghead:

All I remember from Thermo is

pV = nRT

and... Temperature, Energy, Entropy. Someone in Snell Hall can help out probably.

There was a definite chapter in heat transfer about fine of different shapes and how efficient they were at dispersing heat. Think fins on the v-twin of that bike I should be riding if not for this cold ass rain.

Heat travels from energy source to colder air/surfaces/bodies. Fins accelerate the removal of heat from the source. The larger surface area allows for radiation of heat from the energy source to the air. Works even better with a breeze. The fins also have a smaller thermal mass, and will dissipate heat quicker than a solid as well.

Something like that.

The exterior scrim will block/absorb heat prior to passing thru the windows, lowering the solar heat gain in the building. I would think they would also create a layer of warmer air outside the shell of the building to help prevent heat that wants to stay in the building from leeching out. But, just kind of spitballing there.

There was a definite chapter in heat transfer about fine of different shapes and how efficient they were at dispersing heat. Think fins on the v-twin of that bike I should be riding if not for this cold ass rain.

Heat travels from energy source to colder air/surfaces/bodies. Fins accelerate the removal of heat from the source. The larger surface area allows for radiation of heat from the energy source to the air. Works even better with a breeze. The fins also have a smaller thermal mass, and will dissipate heat quicker than a solid as well.

Something like that.

The exterior scrim will block/absorb heat prior to passing thru the windows, lowering the solar heat gain in the building. I would think they would also create a layer of warmer air outside the shell of the building to help prevent heat that wants to stay in the building from leeching out. But, just kind of spitballing there.

As much as this thing looks like a giant heatsink, I would think that any functionality here would have more to do with the angle of the sun at any given time of the year. We do love to talk about building shadows don't we? I bet you could angle those slats so they let in sun during the winter and reflect during the summer. What were they made out of?

As much as this thing looks like a giant heatsink, I would think that any functionality here would have more to do with the angle of the sun at any given time of the year. We do love to talk about building shadows don't we? I bet you could angle those slats so they let in sun during the winter and reflect during the summer. What were they made out of?

Jouhou -- A much more functional way to block the Summer Sun -- is to take advantage of the relative verticality -- so put a roof or awning over each window

In the Winter the much more horizontal solar radiation can be allowed to penetrate to heat the interior if so desired ---- they figured this out in the Antebellum South and places like Spanish New Mexico a few hundred years ago

we also have the Fed in Boston as a good example of the shading at least
Federal_Reserve_from_South_Boston_cropped.jpg

if you are really clever you can put a solar PV array on top of the awning
9_Array-from-East.jpg
HP-Awning-front.jpg

Back