Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

They’re starting to tear down the Lightview leasing office on that empty parking lot.

They’re starting to tear down the Lightview leasing office on that empty parking lot.
Weird choice, feel like they could've found a temp use for a brand new building like that until they had full plans for building on that parking lot, not like anyone was really missing those three parking spots

NU is fantastic.
BU is a travesty.
How the hell did this happen?

That building in Burlington has a 60's government building vibe to it, and I don't mean that as an insult. Kind of interesting how it seems to work.

NU is fantastic.
BU is a travesty.
How the hell did this happen?

Never heard anyone ever use the word "travesty" to describe BU in any way when I happily went there. On the contrary, most people appreciated the urban great experience while going to college, and the classroom and administration buildings were very comforting.

But BU had taller buildings so I am not sure how would not love BU so much more than Northeastern.

That building in Burlington has a 60's government building vibe to it, and I don't mean that as an insult. Kind of interesting how it seems to work.
The area was built as a NIKE missal base. We felt soooo comforted growing up in Woburn that nearby we'd have the protection needed as the nuclear bomb headed for the base! The housing was also built at that time as cookie-cutter base housing. Must have been built fairly well since they've been around over 60 years. Another note, during the cold war it was also fun to hear the air-raid siren go off every day at noon? or six?, just to keep us on our toes. It beat worrying about a war in Iran!

Interesting. They've actually chosen to drive the Lightview leasing building away. They've already lifted off the back half and now they're getting ready to lift the front half onto a truck. Clever.
20191010_132550.jpg

20191010_132942.jpg

That site may be another residence hall sooner rather than later.
Given the lack of a BPDA submission it seems unlikely. I also suspect this lot will be used for construction staging during EXP construction, since the future site of EXP has been the construction staging lot for ISEC, ISEC bridge and Ruggles.

Given the lack of a BPDA submission it seems unlikely. I also suspect this lot will be used for construction staging during EXP construction, since the future site of EXP has been the construction staging lot for ISEC, ISEC bridge and Ruggles.
Good point. Then the Ryder lot would likely be the site of the next residence hall. Or a combined academic/residential building.

Good point. Then the Ryder lot would likely be the site of the next residence hall. Or a combined academic/residential building.

When the NU's current Master Plan was adopted, the goal was for 1,000 additional beds on campus over a 10-year period (~2014-2024), with half of those to be added to campus within the first 5 years of the plan. ACC's Lightview Residence Hall fulfilled the majority of those additional beds (and then some) for the 5-year window. The vast majority of new construction forecast in the IMP was for academic and student activity space... at least 2 million square feet IIRC.

ISEC and EXP are massive components of the master plan's outlined goals and are arriving on schedule as forecast. Big projects within the next 5 years on NU's campus to keep an eye on out for:
- Gainsborough Garage + Matthews Arena parking lot: to become intramural & varsity athletic practice facilities (i.e. New Cabot Center)
- Cabot Center: to become multiple academic buildings and common space with further space dedicated for undergrad and graduate level interdisciplinary activities.
- North Parking Area (next to Stetson East): to become academic building (~5-8 stories IIRC)
- Ryder Hall: the lot behind it had some flexible options to either have residence hall space or to build-out facilities for the College of Art Media & Design (for goodness sake, get those architecture students a dedicated home away from the rumbling orange line)
- Burstein & Rubenstein Halls (and Punters): Master plan talked about this space for a new residence hall... but TBH, I have to wonder if the university is eyeing this site for an expansion of academic space for the Khoury College of Computer Sciences. NU is second only to MIT for churning out CompSci grads in the region, and per the Amazon HQ2 press highlighting Boston/MA, the university was especially vocal about its commitment to growing these programs in a big way.

When the NU's current Master Plan was adopted, the goal was for 1,000 additional beds on campus over a 10-year period (~2014-2024), with half of those to be added to campus within the first 5 years of the plan. ACC's Lightview Residence Hall fulfilled the majority of those additional beds (and then some) for the 5-year window. The vast majority of new construction forecast in the IMP was for academic and student activity space... at least 2 million square feet IIRC.

ISEC and EXP are massive components of the master plan's outlined goals and are arriving on schedule as forecast. Big projects within the next 5 years on NU's campus to keep an eye on out for:
- Gainsborough Garage + Matthews Arena parking lot: to become intramural & varsity athletic practice facilities (i.e. New Cabot Center)
- Cabot Center: to become multiple academic buildings and common space with further space dedicated for undergrad and graduate level interdisciplinary activities.
- North Parking Area (next to Stetson East): to become academic building (~5-8 stories IIRC)
- Ryder Hall: the lot behind it had some flexible options to either have residence hall space or to build-out facilities for the College of Art Media & Design (for goodness sake, get those architecture students a dedicated home away from the rumbling orange line)
- Burstein & Rubenstein Halls (and Punters): Master plan talked about this space for a new residence hall... but TBH, I have to wonder if the university is eyeing this site for an expansion of academic space for the Khoury College of Computer Sciences. NU is second only to MIT for churning out CompSci grads in the region, and per the Amazon HQ2 press highlighting Boston/MA, the university was especially vocal about its commitment to growing these programs in a big way.
I think Northeastern is a big fan of having the combined residential and academic building. I wouldn’t be surprised if both the Ryder expansion and whatever happens at Punter’s has a respective CAMD and CCIS expansion on the first four floors or so and are topped off by a bunch of housing spaces.

I think Northeastern is a big fan of having the combined residential and academic building. I wouldn’t be surprised if both the Ryder expansion and whatever happens at Punter’s has a respective CAMD and CCIS expansion on the first four floors or so and are topped off by a bunch of housing spaces.
That would likely require that the residences be Northeastern owned as opposed to the third party arrangement like Lightview. Not sure if NU will do that.

And word is that a new DMSB building will be built sooner rather than later.

One project that appears stalled is for Northeastern to take full occupancy of Renaissance Park to consolidate CSSH. Four floors are still occupied by non-profit tenants. The vacated CSSH space in Lake/Nightingale/Holmes/Meserve would be redone for CAMD.

That would likely require that the residences be Northeastern owned as opposed to the third party arrangement like Lightview. Not sure if NU will do that.

And word is that a new DMSB building will be built sooner rather than later.

One project that appears stalled is for Northeastern to take full occupancy of Renaissance Park to consolidate CSSH. Four floors are still occupied by non-profit tenants. The vacated CSSH space in Lake/Nightingale/Holmes/Meserve would be redone for CAMD.
Hm, I was under the impression that the parking lot that was the former location of the Lightview leasing office was (as of right now) their only plans to coordinate housing with a third party.

Where exactly would the space for DMSB go? I know that they’re currently housed in Dodge, but I can’t see NU tampering with the original grey brick look of that quad.

Last edited:
Hm, I was under the impression that the parking lot that was the former location of the Lightview leasing office was (as of right now) their only plans to coordinate housing with a third party.

Where exactly would the space for DMSB go? I know that they’re currently housed in Dodge, but I can’t see NU tampering with the original grey brick look of that quad.
A key element of the Master Plan is to build a replacement facility for Cabot/Barletta on the site of the Gainsborough Garage. Once Cabot/Barletta are demolished there would be a huge space created for new buildings in the center of campus. More so if the ugly Forsyth Building is removed too. It would be a perfect site for a new DMSB. I have seen no mention of this recently.

A key element of the Master Plan is to build a replacement facility for Cabot/Barletta on the site of the Gainsborough Garage. Once Cabot/Barletta are demolished there would be a huge space created for new buildings in the center of campus. More so if the ugly Forsyth Building is removed too. It would be a perfect site for a new DMSB. I have seen no mention of this recently.

I wonder why this project specifically has stalled. I know that they have identified projects of higher interest (i.e. EXP), but I feel like the relocation of Cabot and Bartletta to Matthews and its neighboring parking garage is something that should happen sooner rather than later since a pretty large element of the IMP in the center of campus hinges on this happening.

Wrong! Northeastern has filed a BPDA submission for a residence hall here:
Someone has already started a new thread for it.

Back