Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

Quick or not, love the map. I always have a thing for them in regards to making sense. With 252 Huntington pretty comfy, the redev of the Symphony Hall property along Mass Ave a formality, and the idea that that weird building behind the Hort has already been ok'd for demo and a 300+ footer (per Christian Science master plan), this thing is the diamond in the rough. (And by the rough, I have an absolutely ridiculous story about what happened to the the lawn along Mass Ave before they realized that they needed to dig an entirely new catch basin...) Considering TomOfBoston's incredulity when confronted with the idea that this parcel was an outlier, I might subscribe to a different theory when offered this map.

This is institutional creep and consolidation. The corner of Mass Ave and Huntington has become a institutional battleground, with the BSO purchasing 26 Westland Ave a couple years ago, The New England Conservatory consolidating after building a beautiful residential building, and The Huntington Avenue Theater Company going strong towards their $100 mil plan. So, here, folks, is my pitch... at this location...

"The Center for Horticultural Engineering", offering courses in comparative biology, systems dynamics, and music." ..Stretch they say...

That is part of the College of Professional Studies and is used for executive education.

Totally off-topic, but this only one block away from my favorite under-used street in Boston, Wendell Street, which seems to only have one dilapidated building claiming it as an address (this is behind the now-shuttered Umbria restaurant).

Across from the Hilton, on Broad Batterymarch St is a building called "Supreme Council Royal Arcanum" which still houses an old-school insurance company by the same name.

So the CSC will demolish its "Sunday School Building" next to the Hort?

How is it isolated when its right across the street from the brand new isec, the future exp, across the street from the new pedestrian bridge, a couple buildings down from their newest mid rise dorm... etc?........

View attachment 3413

"right across the street from the brand new isec"????????? Stick, what are you talking about?

Zash was talking about Horticulture Hall - - he even showed how isolated it was away from the rest of the NU campus - its the little rectangle to the northeast of the rest of the campus- -ISEC being towards the CENTER/BOTTOM of that diagram. Horticulture Hall is nowhere near the ISEC.

Horticultural hall is apparently sinking notably. My wife worked at the MFA and would go to the library there....

The few offices they have in CSC???? Northeastern occupies all of the Colonnade Building (which they renamed Belvedere Hall), all of Building B and a half dozen floors in the Administration Tower.
Yikes, I severely underestimated their presence there, my bad.

How is it isolated when its right across the street from the brand new isec, the future exp, across the street from the new pedestrian bridge, a couple buildings down from their newest mid rise dorm... etc?

Anyways has there been any news on the planned 18 story tower at the punters pub triangular plot? I havent seen anything in a long time. This would be another awesome addition...
Globe link

View attachment 3413
In one of the latest updates about the new developments coming to 835 Columbus Ave (or maybe it was about EXP, can't quite remember), this plot of land and the empty Ryder parking lot were emphasized as two of NEU's highest priorities. If I had to guess, Punters/Burstein/Rubenstein would be second to the Ryder developments, as the Ryder lot would be simply adding bedspaces, whereas the plot you mentioned would come at the temporary expense of bedspaces in Burstein and Rubenstein, and NEU can't really afford to get rid of that many living spaces at once.

It's been radio silence since then on the planning side of things and not much progress on the construction side of things, if any at all, has been occurring on campus. I will say, based on the general eye test, it looks like they're prepping to finally break ground on EXP in the coming months.

Last edited:
Horticultural hall is apparently sinking notably. My wife worked at the MFA and would go to the library there....
According to this article Marcus Partners did an extensive restoration of the building since acquiring it from the CSChurch.
"Before selling the property, Marcus Partners completed an extensive capital program that fully restored and modernized the historic building including a striking renovation of the lobby and significant upgrades to the interiors and mechanical systems."
Boston Magazine will be moving out this summer.

Hm, interesting. I made a quick (and I mean quick) map of Northeastern's land claims on their campus. Aside from the few offices they have in the CSC, this land acquisition seems kind out of left field, especially considering just how isolated it is from everything else.

View attachment 3410
While I understand it's a "quick map", Northeastern also owns 122, 116, 110, and 106 St Stephen street outright. They also own Light Hall (81-83 St Stephen), 337 Huntington and 319 Huntington, none of which you included and which are all in the general area of this purchase.

While I understand it's a "quick map", Northeastern also owns 122, 116, 110, and 106 St Stephen street outright. They also own Light Hall (81-83 St Stephen), 337 Huntington and 319 Huntington, none of which you included and which are all in the general area of this purchase.
Yeah, that's what I was mostly emphasizing when I said "quick." Wasn't 100% which of those buildings they owned outright and which ones were just leased properties.

Yeah, that's what I was mostly emphasizing when I said "quick." Wasn't 100% which of those buildings they owned outright and which ones were just leased properties.
Zash -- Northeastern is leasing Forsythe Institute building from the MFA
I'm guessing that the MFA is going to want the Forsythe back fairly soon as it would be an ideal place for housing the non-painting parts of the Center for Netherlandish Art funded by Rose-Marie and Eijk van Otterloo, and Susan and Matthew Weatherbie. The CNA also includes the extensive Haverkamp-Begemann library collection.

Launching in 2020, the Center for Netherlandish Art (CNA) will be a leading center for scholarship on Netherlandish (Dutch and Flemish) art of the early modern period. Its programs—including public lectures, exhibitions, courses, publications, and residency fellowships—will attract collectors, curators, researchers, conservators, and students, encouraging them to learn and collaborate together. This work will advance the mission of the CNA: to share Netherlandish art with wide audiences in Boston and elsewhere, to stimulate multi-disciplinary research and object-based learning, to nurture future generations of scholars and curators in the field, and to expand public appreciation for Netherlandish art.

Fully integrated into the Museum’s programs, governance, and facilities, the CNA will benefit from its connection to the MFA’s world-class collections, expert staff, and broad audiences. The Center will be based at the MFA in a centrally located space, where scholars and visitors may use the Haverkamp-Begemann library and convene with colleagues. CNA programs will take place throughout the Museum’s galleries, classrooms, conservation studios, and public spaces.

As 2020 approaches, we look forward to sharing more about the work of the Center for Netherlandish Art. In the meantime, please contact us at CNA@mfa.org or 617-369-3946 with any questions.

The founders of the Center for Netherlandish Art are Rose-Marie and Eijk van Otterloo, and Susan and Matthew Weatherbie.

They also own a bunch of residential property on St Botolph across Mass Ave, if I remember correctly. They haven’t do anything with it, just sitting on the land for future potential use. Didn’t stop the tenants from protesting about a decade plus back, as though they were being evicted.

Zash -- Northeastern is leasing Forsythe Institute building from the MFA
I'm guessing that the MFA is going to want the Forsythe back fairly soon as it would be an ideal place for housing the non-painting parts of the Center for Netherlandish Art funded by Rose-Marie and Eijk van Otterloo, and Susan and Matthew Weatherbie. The CNA also includes the extensive Haverkamp-Begemann library collection.
Northeastern has a ten year lease on the Forsyth Institute with about 5 years remaining.

Some black fence has been installed around the 840 Columbus Lot. Nothing high enough to stop people from getting into the space, however. Weird decision.

Last edited:
Some black fence has been installed around the 835 Columbus Lot. Nothing high enough to stop people from getting into the space, however. Weird decision.
835 Columbus is the Renaissance garage. Maybe work will be done on it for suicide prevention. Do you mean the fencing is around the site of the EXP?

I really wish posters here would be less vague, stop using letter designations for places, and stop using dangling phrases to describe more detailed matters that require full sentences and paragraphs without having to read through the previous 20 posts to figure out what is being discussed. Thanks you.

I really wish posters here would be less vague, stop using letter designations for places, and stop using dangling phrases to describe more detailed matters that require full sentences and paragraphs without having to read through the previous 20 posts to figure out what is being discussed. Thanks you.

Vague? An exact address isnt exactly vague. Your own address is probably something like 123 buttercup lane... thats just how addresses work. A lot of the time developments dont have these corny names like “the vogue” and so they just go by their address.

I can see how it may be confusing for new members here, but its really up on you to catch up, not on everyone else to change, when nothing out of the ordinary is going on. On Skyscrapercity buildings go by addresses too, buildings in general are at addresses, thats just how it works.

Sometimes all we have a parcel designations, there is no name, no address yet, etc. Examples:

MassDOT Parcel 25 -- partial air rights. No way to know whether the developer will give the site a Kneeland Street (likely) or Albany Street address -- it fronts on both and building design could entail multiple addresses.

MassDOT Parcel 13 -- likely Viola site. Also fronts on two streets (Boylston and Mass Ave.) Likely going to get a Boylston street address, but there is no land there today, so no address. It is just an air rights designation.

That is just how it works for some of these developments.

Then you also have developers who change addresses for marketing purposes. Example 112 Shawmut Street (original site address) is now 100 Shawmut development.

Sometimes you just have to keep up with the program.

835 Columbus is the Renaissance garage. Maybe work will be done on it for suicide prevention. Do you mean the fencing is around the site of the EXP?
My bad, was off by 5! I meant 840, the site of the dorm they want to build right across from the garage. If I’m in the area I’ll try and take a pic, but it really isn’t anything fancy. Just some black fence.

So after cross referencing some pictures, that fence has always been there. The new addition was simply reinstalling the fence in the corner where the Lightview leasing office was.

On the topic of fences, it seems that they’ve added suicide-prevention fences to the top of the Renaissance Parking Garage seemingly overnight in response to the December incident.

Back