Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

Zash

Reaction score
The EXP lot has been mostly cleared, including a trailer that’s been on there for months. Wouldn’t be surprised if they break ground very soon. Wasn't my intent, but you can also see some of the preventative fencing they've installed to the 10th floor of the Renaissance Parking Garage. Same thing is being added to the top floor of the Columbus Garage.
62619B46-2CF4-4B7C-96B2-8EDE95097F13.jpeg

EDIT: Went up to the 7th floor of the parking garage to take a picture and an officer said we weren’t allowed to be up there. Asked us for ID and everything. Really was skeptical that I was up there for pictures. Thankfully, I took this picture so he didn’t get much more annoyed. I know given the incident the situation from December that they have to make changes, but I read everywhere that only 9 and 10 were closed so we were sure to go a few floors lower to avoid conflict and be respectful. Not to mention there was no signage whatsoever that said anything against it. Would’ve appreciated a slightly less aggressive tone (especially considering if I was actually someone up there considering jumping, such a brash tone would be one of the last things I want to hear in a moment like that), but we obviously left nonetheless. Just a warning for those in the future as construction ramps up.

795E1912-3BF0-470F-9168-506BDFCFEE42.jpeg

Last edited:

TomOfBoston

Reaction score
The EXP lot has been mostly cleared, including a trailer that’s been on there for months. Wouldn’t be surprised if they break ground very soon.
View attachment 3654

EDIT: Went up to the 7th floor to take a picture and an officer said we weren’t allowed to be up there. Asked us for ID and everything. Really was skeptical that I was up there for pictures. Thankfully, I took this picture so he didn’t get all annoyed. I know given the incident the situation from December that they have to make changes, but I read everywhere that only 9 and 10 were closed so we were sure to go a few floors lower to avoid conflict and be respectful. Not to mention there was no signage whatsoever that said anything against it. Would’ve appreciated a slightly less aggressive tone, but we obviously left nonetheless. Just a warning for those in the future.

View attachment 3671
The trailers across Columbus, I wonder if they are the construction headquarters for the EXP contractors?

Zash

Reaction score
The trailers across Columbus, I wonder if they are the construction headquarters for the EXP contractors?
That trailer has been there a while, no? But I wouldn't be surprised if it was for EXP and/or 840 Columbus Ave. I know there was a lot of Skanska (the same company behind ISEC) shipping crates previously on the EXP lot in addition to the aformentioned trailer (which might've had Skanska branding on it as well, can't quite remember), so they could've relocated their base of operations across the streets.

EDIT: Doing some very brief detective work on Google StreetView shows a sign on that trailer that says "JMA Field Office." Assuming that stands for John Moriarty & Associates. They've worked on the Atlantic Wharf, 111 Huntington, Boylston West, and the NewBalance HQ. If you look at the picture from the garage, however, that "JMA Field Office" sign is noticeably absent.

goody

Reaction score
That trailer has been there a while, no? But I wouldn't be surprised if it was for EXP and/or 840 Columbus Ave. I know there was a lot of Skanska (the same company behind ISEC) shipping crates previously on the EXP lot in addition to the aformentioned trailer (which might've had Skanska branding on it as well, can't quite remember), so they could've relocated their base of operations across the streets.

EDIT: Doing some very brief detective work on Google StreetView shows a sign on that trailer that says "JMA Field Office." Assuming that stands for John Moriarty & Associates. They've worked on the Atlantic Wharf, 111 Huntington, Boylston West, and the NewBalance HQ. If you look at the picture from the garage, however, that "JMA Field Office" sign is noticeably absent.
My understanding is that the Skanska team for the bridge was working out of that trailer. I think it is/will be transitioned to JMA when work begins.

dhawkins

Reaction score
Some detail pictures of the Northeastern University Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Complex. They seem like simple details, but these are very good workmanship details. How many aluminum sill plates do you see not properly set level or oil canning, wavy/ uneven caulk joints between panels or even the research that went into the Accessible push button kiosk at each door. These are really well thought out and there was follow thru during construction. The impression form work used in the concrete work is top notch as well, no honeycombs, form seams are invisible and the control joints are tooled very well. I bet it will age well.

Attachments

Zash

Reaction score
Not directly IMP related per se, but here's a list of the other units Northeastern is leasing out to social distance on-campus students as much as possible. Essentially, they've just expanded their footprint in all of the LPs they already use and are taking over the entirety of the Midtown Hotel until at least December. There's also a portion of Symphony Hall that the university will be using as a dining pick-up place and study space for students.

There's also a whole operation of essentially rebasing the NU.in program from universities across the globe to the Westin Copley hotel.

Last edited:

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
Not directly IMP related per se, but here's a list of the other units Northeastern is leasing out to social distance on-campus students as much as possible. Essentially, they've just expanded their footprint in all of the LPs they already use and are taking over the entirety of the Midtown Hotel until at least December. There's also a portion of Symphony Hall that the university will be using as a dining pick-up place and study space for students.

There's also a whole operation of essentially rebasing the NU.in program from universities across the globe to the Westin Copley hotel.

My reddit posts spread quickly... If anyone's curious other universities also have similar documents for the fall detailing the extra properties they are using:

Zash

Reaction score
In case anyone was curious, there’s been some small construction developments on Northeastern’s campus in addition to EXP breaking ground.

Chicken Lou’s is being demolished. Also, a volleyball court in West Village and the green space in the science quad are being paved over with concrete. The assumption is that there will be tents placed here for students to have access to outdoor dining.

Note: I don’t take credit for the pictures here.

Attachments

TomOfBoston

Reaction score
In case anyone was curious, there’s been some small construction developments on Northeastern’s campus in addition to EXP breaking ground.

Chicken Lou’s is being demolished. Also, a volleyball court in West Village and the green space in the science quad are being paved over with concrete. The assumption is that there will be tents placed here for students to have access to outdoor dining.

Note: I don’t take credit for the pictures here.
Is that concrete or gravel?