Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

Not part of the IMP but a major development for Northeastern. Their Roux Institute in Portland, Maine will occupy the site of the B&M Baked Beans plant on the Portland waterfront.
Portland’s Landmark B&M Bean Factory to Become Northeastern U. Complex – NECN
I’m so tired of centralization of EVERYTHING. It’s no longer enough to be a great institution in one city; now, everything has to have footprints nationally and internationally. Before attacking this by explaining the details of this particular project, just look at the fact that this process is happening with every major academic and medical institution. And with it never comes the hopes for increase in access or decrease in cost; quite the contrary. This is a dangerous trend that only is a harbinger of the fact that in 30-40 years we can probably expect to have a major reduction in the diversity of institutions as more and more expand their brand to campuses all over. Diversity = good; centralization = bad.

I’m so tired of centralization of EVERYTHING. It’s no longer enough to be a great institution in one city; now, everything has to have footprints nationally and internationally. Before attacking this by explaining the details of this particular project, just look at the fact that this process is happening with every major academic and medical institution. And with it never comes the hopes for increase in access or decrease in cost; quite the contrary. This is a dangerous trend that only is a harbinger of the fact that in 30-40 years we can probably expect to have a major reduction in the diversity of institutions as more and more expand their brand to campuses all over. Diversity = good; centralization = bad.
The Roux Institute was established with $200,000,000 in gifts from wealthy Maine residents so it does not impact Northeastern's finances. These Mainers noticed that STEM education, which is the wave of the future, was not widespread in higher education in the state. Roux will become a source of graduate STEM education for a very underserved state.

What do you mean by "centralization"? If anything Northeastern, and the other institutions you reference, are decentralizing by expanding beyond their historic geographical base.

The Roux Institute was established with $200,000,000 in gifts from wealthy Maine residents so it does not impact Northeastern's finances. These Mainers noticed that STEM education, which is the wave of the future, was not widespread in higher education in the state. Roux will become a source of graduate STEM education for a very underserved state.

What do you mean by "centralization"? If anything Northeastern, and the other institutions you reference, are decentralizing by expanding beyond their historic geographical base.
Funny that it's going to be so isolated from Portland, cut off by highways and water.

Probably means the concentration of universities into fewer and fewer private schools that control more and more of the system. This is clearly happening and is part of the broader changes in the higher education system in general which has seen increased tuition, greater reliance on adjuncts, union busting, and increased administrative salaries.

what I mean is that our society is undergoing several major shifts, and those include an increasing consolidation of power and more and mergers and acquisitions. This isn’t about NEU, it’s about the fact that this is part of a national trend. Yes, it always seems great when campuses expand, but what in general is occurring all across the land is that more influential universities and hospitals are undergoing the same process that private enterprise is, which is spreading the brand outside the geographic base and in the process, eventually if not now, squashing local opportunity. In this specific case, of course nobody could say it doesn’t sound like a great opportunity for Maine… And Northeastern is hardly one of the worst villains… but the pattern is concerning. A half century ago, if there was an educational need in a certain state, the solution would not be colonization from an outside state. Smaller educational institutions have been dying for a long time, just like smaller non-chain local businesses, smaller local law firms, and private practice clinics—as they continue to be bought up by larger ones. Now the larger ones are starting to open up campuses outside of their geographic range. This is the same process that has resulted in Mayo Clinics all over the country and will only accelerate.

This is most definitely not decentralization. The policies are made at the top and streamlined to impact every organization in any certain orbit. If you think, for example, the employees of the former Plymouth or Milton Hospitals have the same amount of autonomy they did before they got absorbed into BIDMC (now with yet another mega merger as BI-Lahey), think again. This has been happening in private enterprise for decades, in healthcare for about 20 years, and in education for a little less. But it is all part of the same process, a process that I do not believe will ultimately be a helpful one for local autonomy and opportunity.

Probably means the concentration of universities into fewer and fewer private schools that control more and more of the system. This is clearly happening and is part of the broader changes in the higher education system in general which has seen increased tuition, greater reliance on adjuncts, union busting, and increased administrative salaries.

Actually the most outlandish tuitions tend to be seen in the smaller boutique liberal arts colleges.

Smaller boutique liberal art schools are not removed from this trend, they are exemplary of it. The most expensive ones are setting up campuses everywhere and doing the same union busting and adjunctifying of faculty while expanding administrative budgets. Many of these schools see themselves as needing to expand to compete and are constantly chasing new projects without much concern for keeping the lights on in them after they start them. Many of those without a big enough endowment or who cant raise enough money are shutting down and consolidating, as such even among small liberal arts schools the market is becoming more and more dominated by a few select schools.

Smaller boutique liberal art schools are not removed from this trend, they are exemplary of it. The most expensive ones are setting up campuses everywhere and doing the same union busting and adjunctifying of faculty while expanding administrative budgets. Many of these schools see themselves as needing to expand to compete and are constantly chasing new projects without much concern for keeping the lights on in them after they start them. Many of those without a big enough endowment or who cant raise enough money are shutting down and consolidating, as such even among small liberal arts schools the market is becoming more and more dominated by a few select schools.

As a once proud alum of Brandeis University from the 80's, I have up close and personal experience seeing the utter fallacy of hoity toity boutique liberal arts colleges who sat on the 20th century laurels and wasted money and growth opportunities to see their ACADEMIC RATINGS fall behind schools like NEU, BU, UMass Amherst and BC at whom they used to snark.

Darwinism. You either perform or you wither away like Brandeis, resting on laurels from previous eras.

Seriously, my tip of the hat to Northeastern. Impressive.

Darwinism. You either perform or you wither away like Brandeis, resting on laurels from previous eras.

Seriously, my tip of the hat to Northeastern. Impressive.
Darwin himself would disagree with this level of misunderstanding of what survival of the fittest means. If you want to talk about the relevance of evolution to fields like education, the well documented evolutionary advantageous traits (relevant for a social species such as Homo Sapiens always) of cooperation, symbiosis, and mutual aid are crucial.

Northeastern has been a hard core union buster, they regularly break union contracts, and do not pay adjuncts a living wage. I will not be tipping my hat to them for anything.

1635287981484.png

Due to 1,200 students of overenrollment, they are proposing densifying the existing dorms in the short term.

Last edited:
^^^ That's cool that they are adding more capacity but it'd be pretty uncomfortable? I couldn't fathom that working in the dorm rooms I lived in back in the day.

View attachment 18254

Due to 1,200 students of overenrollment, they are proposing densifying the existing dorms in the short term.

I love Northeastern, but I’m sorry: that is f*cking outrageous! I lived in a single in International Village the first year it opened—all 144 sq. ft of it. To ‘double-up’ occupancy in 700 of those singles is downright cruel. No privacy in units; longer queuing times for the elevators (which can already be a 5-7 minute wait for the 1200 residents); and with no kitchen facilities, the International Village dining hall will also be busier prepping 60% more meals for residents.

The over enrollment is a symptom of the NU-in program artificially inflating their class sizes 20% annually over the last decade, and COVID-19 disrupted their ability to study abroad the past year. Northeastern University needs to probably cool it with NU-in, and perhaps should explore the possibility of offering undergrad instruction at some of its satellite campuses currently targeting grad students. This is incredibly unfair to the students.

I love Northeastern, but I’m sorry: that is f*cking outrageous! I lived in a single in International Village the first year it opened—all 144 sq. ft of it. To ‘double-up’ occupancy in 700 of those singles is downright cruel. No privacy in units; longer queuing times for the elevators (which can already be a 5-7 minute wait for the 1200 residents); and with no kitchen facilities, the International Village dining hall will also be busier prepping 60% more meals for residents.

The over enrollment is a symptom of the NU-in program artificially inflating their class sizes 20% annually over the last decade, and COVID-19 disrupted their ability to study abroad the past year. Northeastern University needs to probably cool it with NU-in, and perhaps should explore the possibility of offering undergrad instruction at some of its satellite campuses currently targeting grad students. This is incredibly unfair to the students.
That's actually in the works IIRC with their recent acquisition of Mills College out on the west coast. Unlike the rest of their satellite campuses, I think they plan to offer quite a decent number of undergrad programs out there once they integrate the school in.

That's actually in the works IIRC with their recent acquisition of Mills College out on the west coast. Unlike the rest of their satellite campuses, I think they plan to offer quite a decent number of undergrad programs out there once they integrate the school in.
New College for the Humanities in London operates as a university in the British system. It also hosts visiting students from Boston from NUIn etc. Mills College will operate as a liberal arts college with opportunities for Boston students to participate. The 135 acre campus has plenty of space for other Northeastern programs.

For this current admissions cycle Northeastern needs to cut the targeted freshman class from 2800 to 2000 and the targeted NUIn class from 900 to maybe 500 for at least one year. This would give the university a single digit acceptance rate! Since it is still uncertain if all the overseas locations of NUIn will be available, especially Australia, cuts need to be made. NUIn Boston worked the past 2 years because Boston hotels were mostly empty and they rented them cheap. That will likely not be an option next Fall.

Can't believe that Northeastern is re-introducing triples. Colleges and universities began lowering the density of their campuses (because of Covid) by doing away with triples. And now they're back.

Can't believe that Northeastern is re-introducing triples. Colleges and universities began lowering the density of their campuses (because of Covid) by doing away with triples. And now they're back.

We know two girls who recently were accepted, but on condition that they start first on the "Global Program" - - meaning either first or second semester Freshman year to be done abroad. This is all because of the awful dorm crunch. Northeastern needs to build,build, build dorms. There is a real scarcity situation.

Back