Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

This isn't true in the case of Northeastern seeing as the school's demographics are less diverse than the city's (last time I checked).
Not at all accurate, Northeastern is less than 50% white. Compared to the local community there is a lower percentage of Black and Hispanic and higher of Asian.

From a purely economic standpoint they bring in something like a billion dollars a year, largely from research grants, federal money, and students outside Boston. It's hard to argue that's not an economic positive as most of that money is spent on employing people or contracts and construction with largely local companies.

Not at all accurate, Northeastern is less than 50% white. Compared to the local community there is a lower percentage of Black and Hispanic and higher of Asian.

I'm calculating 56% white alone among those reported for undergrads. Still, it is lower than I would've guessed.

From a purely economic standpoint they bring in something like a billion dollars a year, largely from research grants, federal money, and students outside Boston. It's hard to argue that's not an economic positive as most of that money is spent on employing people or contracts and construction with largely local companies.

Be nice if they paid more in taxes..

Hopefully we see 840 columbus actually get off the ground... NEU has a serious problem with housing students combined with overenrollment last year created a 6% acceptance rate for their early action round this year...

You're including "race unknown" and "internationals" both of which may or may not be white.

No it says 9412. The chart is confusing. The school has a rep of being popular with wealthy Chinese, so that international # is probally mostly them.

No it says 9412. The chart is confusing. The school has a rep of being popular with wealthy Chinese, so that international # is probally mostly them.
International students are almost completely East Asian, South Asian and Middle Eastern. Very few white internationals.

Stop the madness of criticizing Northeastern University for being 56% white. Universities take in students from all over the world, they aren't the corner church. Sorry if that blew up anyone's delusion.

How about we focus on better funding the pre-K, elementary, middle and high schools almost as much as we try to solve those existing inequities by the END of the education chain?

Ass-backwardness is holding people down. The fall harvest is only as good as the spring planting season.......but lazy policymakers always fall back on the false easy fix. Creating a truly equitable pathway for all takes lots of money, time and hard-work..........not cheap and useless solutions at the college admissions level. It's an insult to the student - - like giving him/her/they a Red Bull to guzzle instead of a healthy lifetime diet.

Only RISING tides lift all ships.

Last edited:
Stop the madness of criticizing Northeastern University for being 56% white. Universities take in students from all over the world, they aren't the corner church. Sorry if that blew up anyone's delusion.

If you take a moment to read through the conversation, you’ll see it was more an argument against the claim that Northeastern “brings diversity to the community”.

To get this conversation back on track, I attended the meeting tonight. The presentation was brief, basically summarizing their continued plan to add up to 207 bedspaces in East Village and up to 700 bedspaces in International Village. The biggest news was a commitment to cut admissions this year by 1,000 students to an expected level of around 2,500 students to counteract the excessively large freshman class this year. The commitment for next year was verbal, with a written note about maintaining previous levels of enrollment in the future. The rest of the meeting was 1.5 hours of students, parents, community advocates, neighbors, and a particularly angry neighborhood group debating over ways to prevent this in the future. Lots of concerned parents and students discussing the challenges of fitting two students in a 143 sf room (I agree with those concerns).

The summary as I understood it was that this IMP amendment for 907 added beds on campus will be approved at the March board meeting regardless, and the increased density will likely be maintained in the future even though they promised an enrollment decrease. They also alluded to continued work on 840 Columbus in terms of making community partnerships for economic development and housing stability, and referenced their intentions to begin work on the 2023-33 Northeastern IMP soon (as the 2013 IMP expires next November).

To get this conversation back on track, I attended the meeting tonight. The presentation was brief, basically summarizing their continued plan to add up to 207 bedspaces in East Village and up to 700 bedspaces in International Village. The biggest news was a commitment to cut admissions this year by 1,000 students to an expected level of around 2,500 students to counteract the excessively large freshman class this year. The commitment for next year was verbal, with a written note about maintaining previous levels of enrollment in the future. The rest of the meeting was 1.5 hours of students, parents, community advocates, neighbors, and a particularly angry neighborhood group debating over ways to prevent this in the future. Lots of concerned parents and students discussing the challenges of fitting two students in a 143 sf room (I agree with those concerns).

The summary as I understood it was that this IMP amendment for 907 added beds on campus will be approved at the March board meeting regardless, and the increased density will likely be maintained in the future even though they promised an enrollment decrease. They also alluded to continued work on 840 Columbus in terms of making community partnerships for economic development and housing stability, and referenced their intentions to begin work on the 2023-33 Northeastern IMP soon (as the 2013 IMP expires next November).
In a certain college admissions blog, freshman applicants, or at least their parents, are stunned that Northeastern may end up with a 6% acceptance rate this cycle! There were 90,800 applications for a freshman class of 2500. It is in the university's interest to get enrolment under control. Crowding on campus can lead to student dissatisfaction and a lowering of retention and graduation rates, which are an important part of Moody's ratings, among other things.

Thanks for attending, for starters. Excellent summary.

Interested to see what everyone else’s thoughts are on the next iteration of the IMP. 840 Columbus and EXP notwithstanding, what elements from the previous IMP do you foresee being carried over?

Interested to see what everyone else’s thoughts are on the next iteration of the IMP. 840 Columbus and EXP notwithstanding, what elements from the previous IMP do you foresee being carried over?
I would like to see the construction of the replacement facility for Cabot/Barletta that is to be built on the site of the Gainsborough Garage. Given Northeastern's housing needs they may be able to build a mid/high rise residence on top of it. Construction of this facility would allow for the removal of Cabot/Barletta, creating a large site in the middle of campus for future buildings.

And if Northeastern could somehow purchase Sweeney Field from Wentworth.... They have it up for sale.

I would love it if they did something to the Richardson Plaza ( that ugly concrete plaza that has the law school). You could build some nice dorm there. Does anyone know what they ended up doing with punter's pub? Last time I checked, it's been empty for years. NEU seems to have space and projects in mind but the city has been slow to approve them.

I would love it if they did something to the Richardson Plaza ( that ugly concrete plaza that has the law school). You could build some nice dorm there. Does anyone know what they ended up doing with punter's pub? Last time I checked, it's been empty for years. NEU seems to have space and projects in mind but the city has been slow to approve them.

The 2013 IMP called for a consolidation of the Cargill, Stearns, and Kariotis buildings which would also involve eliminating the parts of the plaza that connected with these buildings and turning them into at-grade entrances. Hopefully they carry that one over. As far as I know, Punter still hasn't been touched, but it is listed as a top priority alongside Ryder lot on the 840 Columbus meetings.

Boston1970s.jpg

Looking at Northeaster's parking lot, 1970, Forsyth on the right. The fence is now Ruggles Station.

I had always thought that the southeast corridor was built entirely due to the i95 project, and then once cancelled the orange line and amtrak/CR were placed in the trench. Somebody on here the other day recommended looking at the historic aerials website and when looking at the corridor from 1938 I realized that there was already a railroad ROW there.

It makes perfect sense and now seems obvious that they were going to use the ROW to build the highway just like with the pike, I just had never heard it mentioned before. Does anybody know if they were going to replace the railroad completely with i95, because in the old renders I dont remember ever seeing train tracks next to the highway? Pretty cool to still be able to learn pretty substantial new things about the city after all this time and learning so much over the years.

Saw these renderings on the NEU Reddit, don’t know the source yet, however.

Find both interesting, the last IMP had a design for Krentzmann pretty different than this one, but regardless you can see the university wants to redo that quad. The Cabot renderings are interesting since it seems to suggest that Cabot will stick around in the next IMP and not be torn down as suggested in the last IMP.

Saw these renderings on the NEU Reddit, don’t know the source yet, however.

Find both interesting, the last IMP had a design for Krentzmann pretty different than this one, but regardless you can see the university wants to redo that quad. The Cabot renderings are interesting since it seems to suggest that Cabot will stick around in the next IMP and not be torn down as suggested in the last IMP.

As someone on reddit commented, i hope that this is a CAMD student project.

I checked the IMP from 2013. Those renderings are not there.
Northeastern University Campus Master Plan by NBBJ - Issuu

Last edited:

Back