Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

What was once seen as drab, gray, industrial architecture has aged into a unique cohesive whole.

I still see it as drab, gray, and industrial. The buildings have good bones but are so boring to look at, especially the ones with no window-depth or cornices (i.e. not Ell Hall). The vertical-length windows really aren't attractive IMO. I hope northeastern can liven these buildings up at some point. But they probably won't ever modify them, as they're the most historical buildings the school has.

I still see it as drab, gray, and industrial. The buildings have good bones but are so boring to look at, especially the ones with no window-depth or cornices (i.e. not Ell Hall). The vertical-length windows really aren't attractive IMO. I hope northeastern can liven these buildings up at some point. But they probably won't ever modify them, as they're the most historical buildings the school has.

In the 1950's Victorian buildings were seen as ugly and in need of demolition or at least having those ugly architectural details covered up. Tastes have changed and in some cases they are undoing the damage such as this:

1682527202775.png

Kripper Studio to design improvements for Northeastern University West Village
April 21, 2023 - Construction Design & Engineering
Kripper%20West%20Village%20G.jpeg

“Boston, MA
Northeastern University has engaged Kripper Studio to design several improvements for West Village G. Student residences, shared amenity spaces, classrooms, the main entrance, and other access points will be addressed for a comprehensive refresh of the building.

Work will commence at the conclusion of the current semester and continue with an accelerated time frame. Kripper Studio’s anticipated completion of the design work and re-occupancy for the student residence is late summer 2023 to accommodate the incoming students for the beginning of the fall semester.

This existing West Campus residence hall is a six-story apartment-style building that includes residences and also houses classrooms with tiered seating. The building is located at 450 Parker St., set between West Village H, Willis Hall, and West Village B.

The current scope of work calls for Kripper Studio to upgrade, enhance and re-imagine the 109,000 s/f of usable space within the building. The intention is to enhance the quality of the students’ experience and create a sense of community. One example involves re-imagining the possibilities inherent in the existing very long hallways on each floor with potential reading nooks that were not there before as each hallway is bookended by large windows. In addition, achieving better energy efficiency for the building and incorporating new security features following the university’s standards are primary intentions…”

https://nerej.com/kripper-studio-to-design-improvements-for-northeastern-university-west-village

Kripper Studio to design improvements for Northeastern University West Village
April 21, 2023 - Construction Design & Engineering
Kripper%20West%20Village%20G.jpeg

“Boston, MA
Northeastern University has engaged Kripper Studio to design several improvements for West Village G. Student residences, shared amenity spaces, classrooms, the main entrance, and other access points will be addressed for a comprehensive refresh of the building.

Work will commence at the conclusion of the current semester and continue with an accelerated time frame. Kripper Studio’s anticipated completion of the design work and re-occupancy for the student residence is late summer 2023 to accommodate the incoming students for the beginning of the fall semester.

This existing West Campus residence hall is a six-story apartment-style building that includes residences and also houses classrooms with tiered seating. The building is located at 450 Parker St., set between West Village H, Willis Hall, and West Village B.

The current scope of work calls for Kripper Studio to upgrade, enhance and re-imagine the 109,000 s/f of usable space within the building. The intention is to enhance the quality of the students’ experience and create a sense of community. One example involves re-imagining the possibilities inherent in the existing very long hallways on each floor with potential reading nooks that were not there before as each hallway is bookended by large windows. In addition, achieving better energy efficiency for the building and incorporating new security features following the university’s standards are primary intentions…”

https://nerej.com/kripper-studio-to-design-improvements-for-northeastern-university-west-village
Why is NU rehabbing West Village G when Willis is right behind it?

Lol, I bet it is impossible to renovate in a cost-effective way to make it "modern" from either an aesthetics or energy efficiency standpoint. I remember when that was the only tall-ish upper-class housing and being impressed by the "view" back in the 90's. How NU has changed.

Why is NU rehabbing West Village G when Willis is right behind it?

Lol, I bet it is impossible to renovate in a cost-effective way to make it "modern" from either an aesthetics or energy efficiency standpoint. I remember when that was the only tall-ish upper-class housing and being impressed by the "view" back in the 90's. How NU has changed.
I think they intended that West Village G would at least partially hide Willis.

It’s unfortunate how it’s easier to accomplish this than it is to get 840 Columbus approved.

Hotel business must be bad if the Sheraton is willing to do this... even assuming it's $5k+ a semester per student.

Hotel business must be bad if the Sheraton is willing to do this... even assuming it's $5k+ a semester per student.

Boston is notoriously low vacancy. Perhaps the motivation is that since this is an older Sheraton, they no longer represent the brand and require significant upgrades that are cost prohibitive. The place is seriously dated.

Boston is notoriously low vacancy. Perhaps the motivation is that since this is an older Sheraton, they no longer represent the brand and require significant upgrades that are cost prohibitive. The place is seriously dated.
That tower is about 50 years old. The other tower, which will remain a hotel (for now at least,) is 60 years old. It is quite common for universities to acquire aging hotels as dorms. Myles Standis and Kilachand Halls at BU were once hotels. In Montreal, McGill has purchased three hotels dating from the 1960's and 1970's and converted them to dorms.
The demand for hotel rooms is shifting to the Seaport area with the convention center there.

It’s unfortunate how it’s easier to accomplish this than it is to get 840 Columbus approved.
Maybe Northeastern could tell Mayor Wu that if 840 Columbus is not approved they will seek to take over the other Sheraton Tower.

That tower is about 50 years old. The other tower, which will remain a hotel (for now at least,) is 60 years old. It is quite common for universities to acquire aging hotels as dorms. Myles Standis and Kilachand Halls at BU were once hotels. In Montreal, McGill has purchased three hotels dating from the 1960's and 1970's and converted them to dorms.
The demand for hotel rooms is shifting to the Seaport area with the convention center there.

Those BU “hotels” you mention were acquired 4 decades ago. Not relevant to this discussion and as you’re aware, both recently underwent extensive renovations to bring them up to standards for current uses at BU — at the expense of the University.

Those BU “hotels” you mention were acquired 4 decades ago. Not relevant to this discussion and as you’re aware, both recently underwent extensive renovations to bring them up to standards for current uses at BU — at the expense of the University.
Regardless of when they were acquired it is an example of universities acquiring hotels to convert to student housing. They do not require major internal reconstruction. A "hotel" is a hotel regardless of when it was converted.

A more recent example of a BU hotel conversion is the old HoJo hotel at 575 Comm Ave.

Last edited:
Regardless of when they were acquired it is an example of universities acquiring hotels to convert to student housing. They do not require major internal reconstruction. A "hotel" is a hotel regardless of when it was converted.

A more recent example of a BU hotel conversion is the old HoJo hotel at 575 Comm Ave.

No -- it is not an example. Those places have undergone major reconstruction. So, its not apples to apples.
You are right about the Hojo (which is or was hardly the Sheraton) -- it'll be demolished eventually. Still, you haven't made a point.

My understanding was that the City was very focused on ensuring that universities are no longer expanding on the other parts of the city that they are not currently in. It seems like NEU lost the memo.

My understanding was that the City was very focused on ensuring that universities are no longer expanding on the other parts of the city that they are not currently in. It seems like NEU lost the memo.

That 300'+ residents hall was originally proposed in November 2019, yet almost 4 years later we don't even appear close to an approval, let alone getting shovels in the ground, let alone having a newly built dorm that should be finished already.

If the city refuses to act in good faith with these projects, then the city gets the alternatives that it deserves.

Back