Northern New England News

Portland has a municipal Christmas tree, and why not?
E-mail this page Reader Comments (below)
Portland Press Herald Friday, November 17, 2006

You can call the tree in Portland's Monument Square a spruce, because that's what it is.
You can call it an evergreen, because it's that, too. You could even call it a conifer, a pine (even though strictly speaking it's not) or just a plain old Maine needle-dropper.
What you ought not to do, however, is to give it a formal name such as "Holiday Tree" that to many people means they can't call it a Christmas tree.
After all, even though many holidays occur around this time of year, some secular and some religious, no one celebrates "Holiday."
They celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah or New Year's or Solstice, but each has a specific name and purpose. And one holiday in particular has come to be honored with a decorated tree, even though the symbol has no specific Christian reference.
The custom of decorating trees was brought here by German immigrants, but seems nearly universal now.
Christians will say its wood recalls the cross and its evergreen nature symbolizes eternal life, and they will decorate it with stars and angels and creches, but spruces are not in and of themselves a Biblical biggie. So, there isn't any real harm in calling it a Christmas tree. Nobody calls a menorah a "holiday candelabra," after all.
If the city believes it has to use the term "holiday" to describe its tree, there's little harm in that. But it is an act of cognitive dissonance boarding on the comical.
In addition, if a municipality appropriates a well-known symbol for its own use, it should honor the intent of those who created or adopted it. Such objects keep their meaning even when they move out of living rooms and into public squares.
A thing is what it is, and that's that.

Reader comments

Patrick of Portland, me
Nov 17, 2006 2:19 PM

Foolishness? This article is foolish. Of course everyone has the right to call it whatever they want to, but for the city, which is run for and by the public, to endorse a particular religion borders, not on the comical, but on the illegal. Calling it a "Holiday Tree" is a quick fix, and it is in no way requiring passers-by to also call it by that name because, as we all know, it IS in fact a Christmas tree. We just shouldn't call it that for the same reason the Ten Commandments shouldn't hang in public schools without being referred to as "the ten rules of common sense." It is amazing that the title of an evergreen in downtown should be so controversial; that only defeats the holiday spirit by causing arguments amongst two sides that will never, ever agree. Lets forget about it. The only thing we can surely call a pine tree in downtown Portland is: out of place.

Tiffany of Portland, ME
Nov 17, 2006 12:15 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS!! It's a Christmas Tree!

Naran of Kennebunk, ME
Nov 17, 2006 11:45 AM
Agreed - we should be able to call it a Christmas tree. Those who wish it should be able to have a Christmas tree, along with Christmas parades, Christmas carols, and all the rest of it.

If someone else wants to put up a Kwanzaa display, a Jewish Menorah, or anything else, do it, and welcome.

Let's include everyone, without diluting everything to generics.

Sammi of Bethesda, MD
Nov 17, 2006 9:48 AM
AMEN

Anna
Nov 17, 2006 9:05 AM
Well put. Thank You! Enough of the foolishness.

A CHRISTMAS TREE IS A FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS TREE!!!!! No, it's not endorsing any religion, it is a part of American culture as we know it. The religion aspect of Christmas has pretty much been sucked out of the holiday for most people anyway. All the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, whatever need to stop being so touchy. I guarantee you there would be an uproar if someone suggested calling manoras "holiday candleholders." I'm not Christian, but I see no problem with calling and displaying Christmas trees. If people want to display giant statues of Krishna, go ahead! It's like saying that a city can't display an American flag on July 4th because people from other countries live there!

lexicon506 said:
A CHRISTMAS TREE IS A FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS TREE!!!!! No, it's not endorsing any religion, it is a part of American culture as we know it. The religion aspect of Christmas has pretty much been sucked out of the holiday for most people anyway. All the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, whatever need to stop being so touchy. I guarantee you there would be an uproar if someone suggested calling manoras "holiday candleholders." I'm not Christian, but I see no problem with calling and displaying Christmas trees. If people want to display giant statues of Krishna, go ahead! It's like saying that a city can't display an American flag on July 4th because people from other countries live there!

Lexicon, this is a stupid violation of a not-so-stupid law. That's why people are getting "up in arms" about it. But it still must be enforced. Its like the law that says you can't run red lights. People get upset when they are stopped for "coasting" through at the end of a yellow light when it just barely has turned red. But running a red light is running a red light. It has to be set up that way legally or it would be impossible (or at least annoyingly difficult) to prosecute the more serious red-light-running violations. Do you see my point? This is a stupid enforcement of a law that was meant to prevent more important violations from occurring. State endorsement of religion is illegal, and that may include calling something a Christmas tree because it has 'Christ' in it, which is directly related to Jesus the anointed one, worshiped by Christians across the world. Maybe it wouldn't be a violation, but what if it was? Then there would be a court battle that would either lead to it being called a 'christmas tree' with a lower-case letter "c" or it might lead to no tree at all. the problem with a lower-case "c" is that it might make even more people angry by denying Jesus Christ the full respect they believe he is owed. As is most likely the case, there has already been a court case, and the result is that, legally, it has to be called a holiday tree so as not to violate the law that was put into place to ensure freedom of religion, unaffected by state endorsements. It's an easy way around state endorsement that still allows what everyone clearly knows is a "Christmas tree" to be displayed downtown. Going by the book, we cannot call it what it really is and still legally be able to put it on public land. At least this way it still serves its function: the physical sight of a public Christmas tree. It's not published anywhere that it is our 'holiday tree.' there is no sign calling it that. Just the newspapers. So, I say call it what you will but don't put up a fight over this nonsense because it could have serious implications for other aspects of state endorsement.....like the Ten Commandments, or, to put it in more shocking terms, the Q'uran, being displayed in public schools. neither should be allowed, for the sake of people with alternative views. we must respect them and not give the wrong signal that public officials endorse one religion over another, because in reality, they represent a more diverse group than this religion or that one, and they must represent that group faithfully. that means no endorsement of one particular religion). we all know what its really called. end of story.

Yes, I understand all the legal mish-mash that could be used to make a city cease using the word "christmas" in front of the word "tree." But for some reason this issue still really annoys me. I don't have any desire to fight for it, it's just one of those pet peeves that won't go away. Anyway, thanks for your thorough, nonabrasive response to my post. Certain other people on this forum could learn from you.

I gotta agree with him on this Patrick. There is a point where pc becomes absurd. When I was a kid there was no problem calling it a Christmas tree. Nobody cried, nobody got offended. It's not a holiday candle. I'm not a practicing christian but over 70% of the country is. There are muslim prayer rooms in schools, but a teacher can't have a little tree in the break room because it's offensive. That's a true story.

I agree with you guys, it is annoying. But I think its the text-book-nerd in me that always tries to argue opposing views just for argument's sake. Nothing better to do I suppose. For the longest time I wanted to be a lawyer, and we all know how big of an asshole lawyers can be :lol:

I'll try to cut back on my opposing view arguments! I guess if enough people said it SHOULDNT be called an x-mas tree, I would probably be the first one in the "yes it should!" line. I gotta work on that, haha.

Towns unify to win funding worth millions
By TREVOR MAXWELL, Staff Writer Portland Press Herald Monday, November 20, 2006

Economic development in Maine can sometimes be a local dogfight -- each town and city for itself, scrapping for new business and federal funding.
Other times, it makes sense to forget your differences.
Take the case of Cumberland County, where 20 towns and the city of South Portland recently joined together to participate in the federal Community Development Block Grant program.
The program distributes money for economic development, affordable housing and social services. The goal is to improve the lives of low- and moderate-income families.
This fall, Cumberland became the first and only county in New England to apply for and receive a grant through the community development program, said county manager Peter Crichton. He expects a grant of up to $2 million to arrive next July. That money could go to anything from park improvements to down payments for homes.
"The idea is to do what is the greater good for the whole region, while taking into consideration the needs of the communities," Crichton said.
In the past, individual towns have lobbied for chunks of the federal money, which was distributed by the state. Portland remains separate, and will continue to receive its own allotment each year. In 2000, South Portland also qualified for separate status.
Around that time, Crichton learned that counties could qualify for the grant program. His research showed that if he could get the support of enough municipalities, Cumberland County probably could bring in twice as much money as the cumulative amount brought in by the towns.
"I started working on it, talking to the commissioners. Then we started discussing it with other people," Crichton said.
He said Cumberland County wouldn't compete against Portland for funding, and the total amount going to the state probably would increase.
There was one major stumbling block. In order to qualify, county officials needed the relatively large population of South Portland, about 23,300. So Crichton, along with grants coordinator Elizabeth Trice and the Greater Portland Council of Governments, worked to convince South Portland councilors to drop the city's independent status.
South Portland agreed to join this year, and the county promised to give the city the highest percentage of funding.
"Had it not been for the vision of the city of South Portland, we would not be having this conversation," said Richard Feeney, one of three Cumberland County commissioners. "I think that is what brought a lot of other municipalities on board."
From now until summer, officials face another hurdle: figuring out how to spend the money, without too much infighting. An oversight group, made up of representatives from all the towns, will recommend the best uses for the funding.
The county also has hired Aaron Shapiro, a Portland housing official, to oversee the program. His salary will be paid by a portion of the grant, Crichton said.
Besides Portland, the communities not participating are Westbrook, Brunswick, Baldwin, Casco and Frye Island. Each has its own reason, Crichton said.

From folk tunes to food, families celebrate

061120diversity.jpg

Olor Kamikazi dances during the debut performance of the Elder Women's Group, a social network of refugees from Rwanda, Congo and Burundi, at the Celebrate Diverse Families event at Portland High School Sunday.

The women, refugees from Rwanda and other African nations, briefly quieted the crowd as they sang.
The first song, a Rwandan folk tune, reminded women of the importance of education.
The second, sung in a number of languages simultaneously, was meant to praise God, said Ali Kabirigi, a case manager at Portland's Community Counseling Center who interpreted questions to the group about the songs.
The center's Refugee and Immigrant Elder Women's Group -- a social network of refugees from Rwanda, Congo and Burundi -- performed at a celebration of family and diversity Sunday at Portland High School.
The event offered arts and crafts, ethnic food and live performances representing the cultures of many of Portland's recent-immigrant and refugee communities.
It drew an estimated 350 visitors, an anticipated attendance bump that prompted organizers to move the event from its previous location, King Middle School, to the Portland High gymnasium, said Leslie Brancato, Community Counseling Center's executive director.
The event has been held during National Family Week in late November since 2004 as a way for Portlanders to celebrate the city's diverse families, Brancato said.
Several entertainers performed at the event, ranging from sign-language storytellers to the refugee group.

Council vote on chains raises opposing views
I am not from Portland originally, but I had the good sense to move here. The reason I love Portland is because it is an independent and unique city.
That's why I'm heartened that today, the City Council is considering a cap on formula restaurants and retailers.
I love the city's arts district and frequent the art museum and the Portland Stage Company.
I enjoy having a pint at Portland's various independent bars and love finding that perfect gift at one-of-a-kind shops in the Old Port.
The idea that a Hooters could open in downtown Portland is a nightmare. As horrible as Hooters is, it is only a symptom of the problem.
The real problem is that Portland has no rules to protect its uniqueness -- to protect the reasons why young professionals like my friends and I live here.
Portland's mix of big-city amenities, like its arts district, its independent stores and restaurants, combined with its neighborhood feel, make this place unique.
It is crucial to our future economic survival, to our young families like mine and to our small businesses, that we preserve this -- that we protect our "brand."
I urge the City Council to enact a cap on the number of formula restaurants and retail stores for the peninsula.
Will Everitt
Portland

This is what I wrote under the comments section of the chain article....

Wheeeew. Good thing we put out that fire. Our city is saved!!!! Didn't you see all the chains lining up across the bridge ready to run over and set up in our fair city? If our council was only around to ban Porteous back in the day we really could have be saved. I can't even be sarcastic today, I'm so frustrated from watching that foolishness on tv last night.

Let's see, we have had no ban on chains until last night. But for some reason local businesses were in serious serious trouble, right? That's funny, I thought local businesses were doing okay. I almost thought that it was so good that Norm's opened up a new Norm's on Congress St., then another place right across from it. I almost thought that Cinque Terre opened Vignola right next to itself. Thought Bingas opened another Bingas within a year, A Crooked Mile opened Shay's. Hmmm, didn't Dogfish open another big Dogfish on Free st? How about Hugo's opening Duckfat?

Wow, I almost think that in a short time that The Front Room, Caiola's, The White Heart, Henry VIII's, Old Port Sea Grill, Blue Spoon, Oolong, Uncle Billy's, Bar lola, Ribolitta's, Mim's, Bull Feeney's, Portland Pie, Fit to Eat, and many other places have opened. How on earth did they do this with the fear of all these chains coming to destroy them?

Do I go to chains? For the most part no. Am I threatened by them in Portland? Absolutely not. In fact, I think we need to encourage a few more chains in town. Not on Exchange st, but on the Congress St. corridor. They act as anchors. There are people who live in Portland and surrounding towns that never ever come down to the peninsula. You might think of that area as the "arts district". Well, ask anyone else about Congress st. and they'll tell you about it being dirty, filled with yahoos, and just not pleasant. Anyone who wants to argue this, I'd be happy to go on a nice walk with you starting at Maine Med and we'll walk to Monument Square. If you don't look around on that walk and ask yourself "What in the love of all things holy is going on here?", then you are a better person than me.

Congress should have a Gap or a Banana Republic. Maybe an Urban Outfitters. Not lined up and down the street with them, but a few to at least make it a shopping destination for Portland area people who come no further than the mall or Hadlock. Maybe they come and park for a day. Maybe they go to the Gap, try out a local restaurant they would never try, maybe pick up a unique gift in the old port. More people in the streets is better for everyone and it makes it safer.

You always bring up Boston when the whole "city" arguement comes up. Well, let's talk Boston. Imagine Congress st. as mini version of Newbury st. Filled with people shopping, eating, having fun. A few chains, many local eateries and small shops. It works, it works when you do it right. And I have a lot less of a chance on Newbury of getting hit in the head with a brick or being yelled at by punk kids then I do on Congress st.

You want to talk Hooters, let's talk Hooters. The double standard comes back once again. All these MECA people getting up to talk last night. Acting like they will fear for their lives by walking by. Do they fear for their life walking by Margarita's or The Stadium? Because that is the exact same crowd that will be at Hooters. Are people in The Mall of America afraid to go there because there is a Hooters? Good thing I've never been to Burlington or San Fran, they have Hooters too. I used to live in the West End and I would have stuffed yelled out at me walking by Somewhere Else and Blackstone's. You willing to shut those places down? You are afraid of women, by choice, wearing an outfit that covers more than most women going out to the old port. Yet, two blocks away at Styxxx there are shot boys in underwear, foam parties, body shots, etc. Go google to find their website, you can see the pics. Do I care what they do behind their doors, of course not. But let's end the double standard and see you go after them. You wouldn't though, because you would start bringing up rights. The same rights you are trying to shut Mr. Harris down with.

You know what I don't like walking by? I don't like walking by MECA everyday and going through a giant cloud of hand rolled cigarette smoke with a bunch of kids standing in the way. A bunch of kids that spent longer making their clothes looked mismatched then I do trying to match mine. These kids come from all these other small towns in Maine while all the Portland kids go away to college. It's not a very fair trade. Portland really needs to look at locating USM students back in the downtown area or encouraging young professionals from away to move into the city.

Just let this city grow, it will grow the right way. You don't have to hold it's hand and keep it away from the bad men. If a Gap on Congress st. ruins Portland then we weren't that special to begin with. If you need protection of your sandwich shop from a chain one, then I probably don't dare to eat your food. If the working people here don't get to enjoy a new arena or new buildings and shops, then we don't want to take care of and deal with all the misfits and drunks that come here.

Grow up Portland.

County not as crowded as it seems

By DAVID BROOKS, Telegraph Staff
dbrooks@nashuatelegraph.com
Published: Monday, Nov. 27, 2006

Every town in Hillsborough County complains about too much growth ? so when the Federal Reserve Bank does an in-depth study of New England migration patterns, what does it find?

Shattering popular opinion, more people are leaving the county than entering it, the study found.

It?s only a tiny difference, fewer than 100 people, and it only covers the year 2003 ? but nonetheless, the finding seems at odds with the image of outsiders overwhelming the area?s rural character.

Which just goes to show demographics isn?t always as clear-cut as it seems.

The report, titled ?New England Migration Trends,? examines how many people moved into and out of each county in the six New England states, and where they went or came from.

?We have been interested in these patterns for a while,? said Carrie Conaway, deputy director at the New England Public Policy Center, which is part of the Boston office of the Federal Reserve Bank. ?This has been examined at the state level, but no one has ever done a county-to-county analysis before for the region.?

The study used tax records, and a lot of what it found is not surprising: For example, the biggest source of people moving to the area is eastern Massachusetts.

Specifically, of all the people who moved into Hillsborough and Rockingham counties in the year 2003, 47 percent were from the Bay State. And southeastern New Hampshire wasn?t the only Massachusetts magnet; the whole state was a draw. ?Massachusetts had a net out-migration of 47,600. . . . Of those, 18,444 (39 percent) went to New Hampshire,? said Conaway.

But unlike the state?s other nine counties that drew Bay State immigrants, Hillsborough saw more people pack up and leave than unpack and arrive in 2003. (The population didn?t decline, however, because of more births than deaths.)

?I don?t think that?s all that surprising, for two reasons,? said Steve Williams, executive director of the Nashua Regional Planning Commission, which lives and breathes demographic trends.

One is jobs, he said: 2003 was a down time for the Boston-area tech industry, and ?Hillsborough County, and especially the Nashua area, tracks Boston very closely in terms of employment.?

The other is that old bugaboo, housing prices.

?At some point people began to realize there are less expensive housing opportunities not too far north, in Merrimack County, or out to the west,? he said.

The Federal Reserve Bank report doesn?t say why people moved. Conaway said the center is doing a follow-up report examining the relative effects of income and housing prices in affecting migration, which may help answer that question.

Williams notes the smaller pieces of the puzzle ? notably the fact southeast New Hampshire still drew some people from around the country ? says good things about the area.

?People coming here from New York, Illinois, California, Oregon; that?s an indicator of the type of area Hillsborough County is, and the type of people it?s attracting. You don?t move across the country to be a waitress ? you move across the country because you?ve got a fairly high-end professional job,? he said.

There are a couple of caveats: The study is based on Internal Revenue Service data, comparing the location where people claimed tax exemption in 2003 compared to 2004, so it missed people who didn?t file tax returns.

And it ignores moves within a county ? from, say, a Nashua apartment to a Brookline estate, or from Londonderry to the Seacoast ? that could affect building patterns and people?s perception of growth.

The study said Hillsborough County had the most international emigration of the state?s 10 counties; that it and Rockingham County had the most people moving out but staying in New Hampshire; and that the two were among the leaders in emigration to parts of the U.S. outside New England, with California, Arizona and Florida being the most common destinations.

All of that was almost balanced, however, by the influx from Massachusetts.

Looking at moves made entirely within New Hampshire, the big winners ran from Concord through the Lakes Region toward Maine.

Merrimack, Belknap and Carroll counties all had many more Granite State residents moving in than they had people leaving to other parts of the state, presumably a reflection of the continued expansion of living and commuting patterns.

Looking at New England as a whole, Conaway said she had one surprise.

?One thing I wasn?t expecting was that the total amount of out-migration was as small as it was. In the whole region, it was about 57,000 people, only one hundredth of one percent of the population,? she said. ?That was smaller than I thought it would be.?

David Brooks can be reached at 594-5831 or dbrooks@nashuatelegraph.com.

I am surprised people in NH think Hilsborough county is rural in nature. It is smaller than portland's cumberland county in terms of land mass, and it packs about 80,000 more people in than we do.

justin timberlake and pink are coming to the verizon, they just advertised it up here like it was Christmas in December! oh, wait a minute...

From The Union Leader

Residential construction spikes in southern NH

The value of residential contracts for future construction in the Manchester-Nashua metropolitan statistical area increased by nearly one-fifth in October compared to the same month a year ago, according to McGraw-Hill Construction.

Residential contracts for future construction were up 17 percent from $29,133,000 in October 2005 to $34,219,000 in October 2006.

Non-residential future construction contracts fell from $10,989,000 in October 2005 to $5,357,000 in October 2006, the report said. McGraw-Hill Construction is the publisher of Dodge Reports and Sweets Catalog Files.

For the first 10 months of the year, both nonresidential and residential contracts for future construction were down. Cumulative nonresidential contracts fell 12 percent to $137,295,000 and residential contracts fell 38 percent to $228,113,000.

Nonresidential buildings include commercial, manufacturing, educational, religious, administrative, recreational, hotel, dormitory and other buildings.

Residential buildings include one and two-family houses and apartments.

McGraw-Hill Construction's report on October contracts for future construction for the Boston metropolitan statistical area, which includes parts of Rockingham and Strafford counties in New Hampshire, showed activity down both on an monthly and year-to-date basis. For the month, total building fell 15 percent to $543,957,000, and year-to-date, total building fell 20 percent to $4,746,446,000.

Frommer's puts Portland among top sites to see
By DAVID HENCH, Staff Writer Portland Press Herald Wednesday, November 29, 2006

FROMMER'S TOP DESTINATIONS
1. Krakow, Poland

2. Tokyo

3. Minneapolis

4. Panama

5. Asheville, N.C.

6. Ethiopia

7. Portland, Oregon

8. Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands

9. Okanagan Valley, British Columbia

10. Glen Canyon, Utah

11. Zurich, Switzerland

12. Portland, Maine

Portland has joined the likes of Tokyo and Zurich, Switzerland, as a must-see destination for world travelers, at least according to Frommer's, publisher of a series of highly acclaimed travel guides.
On Tuesday, the company announced its top 12 world travel destinations for 2007. Portland is ranked No. 12 on the list, recognized for its culture and restaurants and the ease of exploring the city on foot.
The ranking, and the publicity that will come from being promoted in various guidebooks, should give tourism here a boost, city and tourism officials said.
"Frommer's is a premier tourism and travel guide, and it certainly should increase the awareness of our destination around the world," said Barbara Whitten, president of the Convention & Visitors Bureau of Greater Portland. "We've been on the top ten, top five or top three list for a wide variety of things. This is another affirmation and a great distinction for us."
The list was compiled by the guidebooks' authors and experts and reflects a mix of "surprising, thriving or emerging" travel destinations.
Portland has some pretty heady company.
Portland's waterfront and trail network shares billing with the Caribbean getaway of Virgin Gorda, in the British Virgin Islands, and with the ancient city of Krakow, Poland. Closer to home there's the Smoky Mountain town of Asheville, N.C., and that other city with the same name: Portland, Ore.
Deborah Wakefield, spokeswoman for the Portland Oregon Visitors Association, said she expects the listing to boost visits.
"We see a lot of visitors who walk into our visitors center with either a guidebook or a newspaper in hand," she said. "I know the power of the press is very influential in travel decisions. People just have so many choices. There are so many places to go; a lot of time you need that mention in a list or article to push people over the fence to your destination."
The description of Portland, Maine, is almost gushing.
"A university town (Bowdoin and U Maine) and burgeoning retirement location, Portland has a fantastic mix of culture and education," according to the statement released by the guidebooks company. The statement also praised "an impressive amount of first-rate restaurants," citing Fore Street by name and noting that others are mentioned regularly in Gourmet magazine's list of top restaurants.
A bit of the description gets lost in translation, however, as it cites the excellent indoor farmers' market -- an apparent reference to the now-defunct Portland Public Market -- and a jogging trail that "stretches to nearby Brunswick."
"Eventually we would love to have interconnectedness up to Brunswick," said City Manager Joe Gray. "We're very proud of what we do have. The fact they may have just embellished the trail doesn't take away from the significance of them recognizing the uniqueness of the city."
Whitten said the bureau works frequently with Frommer's writers, checking facts for the guides, so she's surprised such a prestigious list would include such noticeable gaffes.
"I was disappointed, quite honestly, with the misinformation, but all of it is good," she said. "This is the premier travel resource for people around the world."
Staff Writer David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:
dhench@pressherald.com

Reader comments
1-10 of 18 comments:

previous page | next page

Patrick of Portland, ME

Lets get something straightened out: Portland ranked in at #12 not for the entire world, but for those destinations in the worlds that were "surprising, thriving or emerging travel destinations."

Portland is "surprisingly" vibrant and healthy for a city of its size. Some have said that it doesn't hold a candle to similarly sized cities across America. But one need only look to our south and west to see how wrong that is. Lynn, MA; Lawrence, MA; Framingham, MA; Manchester, NH; Nashua, NH.....tell me, who amongst you would choose one of those municipalities over Portland. Every city has problems, so do we, but most of ours, thankfully, are with city government, not with the city as it is experienced on foot while vacationing.

Portland is also an "emerging" travel market, as is evidenced by all the money being dumped into upgrading our eastern waterfront. Oceangateway, etc. Also, it is drawing retired individuals from all across the country to come here, as is evidenced by the huge interest in potential condo developers over the last year and a half...most of their units have been aimed at empty-nesters. Everything the article said was true, it was just off base with Brunswick (and who cares about Brunswick, anyway? not like if it were closer we would be better off...) and about our Farmer's market, which came after Portland was already great. Is Portland the best city to live in? perhaps not. But to visit, it offers a ton of things to do for the vacationer. wouldn't you all agree?

JLB of Windham, ME
Nov 29, 2006 10:56 AM
Sue of Portland,

Wow!!! "Talking Heads" and "learning disabled"?? How condescending of you!!!

FYI...being the highest taxed state in the union is not something Maine should be proud of; therefore, we the people are "victims of our own government".

Another fyi...there needs to be a balance between national franchises and local businesses for a community to sustain healthy growth. Take an economics course; and while you're at it, get a reality check.

hahaha of Standish, Me
Nov 29, 2006 10:16 AM
Thomas of Portland.....too funny.....Loudon, I love it.

Rob Tabor of Portland, ME
Nov 29, 2006 10:09 AM
Go to Ethiopia where AIDS is running wild and a "very high" risk of catching an infectious disease according to the CIA World Factbook page on it? Oh yeah, 50% of men and 35% of women can read so choose carefully who to contact when your body is shutting down from illness. Being the transit hub for heroin and cocaine is quite a selling point as well. Frommer's should fire the people that put this list together.

Tim of South Portland, me
Nov 29, 2006 10:04 AM
Those of you who continue to ramble about Maine's leaders not working to create a positive environment for the people of Maine must have missed the recent election results... Fortunately, your cynical attitudes were (once again) represented only by a minority of the voters. The unfortunate thing is that only 3 weeks after the election, you continue to spend your energy attempting to get folks on your negative train to nowhere. It's really too bad that this energy couldn't be spent supporting those things that you do agree with...

I'm assuming, of course, that you must agree with SOMETHING that's happening in the great State of Maine.

Brute Force of Saco, ME
Nov 29, 2006 10:01 AM
So let me get this straight. The rating was based on such things as:

1. University of Maine
2. Bowdoin College
3. Indoor Farmer's Market
4. 30-mile jogging trail to Brunswick
5. Burgeoning retirement community

None of these things are true.

How do you explain this to people who will travel here from all over the world to see these "fine" attractions?

Give me a break. Portland isn't even in the top 100 places in America.

Frommer's is a joke.

Those of you who think that Portland deserves to be on this list need to get a grip on reality, or take a trip to ... anywhere else.

Zeb of Scarborough, ME
Nov 29, 2006 9:56 AM
Ok great place and all. I like it hear alot. But I have been around the country two or three times and this is not in the top places to see. Christ, you cant even see hooters up here. Well at least not the chain. If you want to attend the Old Port on a Fri of Sat summer night you will see plenty. But I like wings with my hooters.

Jeff of Saco, ME
Nov 29, 2006 9:51 AM
So what part of Portland do you think Frommer's liked most? The vacant store fronts all over Congress Street? How about Kennedy Park? Were they taken with Munjoy Hill? Or were they blown away by the vacant Portland Market? Does Portland have the finest homeless shelters in the Western Hemisphere?

Surely the Frommer's people spent time with the homeless in the downtown parks. They also probably spent time picking up young boys and men late night at Deering Oaks or up on the Western Prom.

Portland is a nice little city. It's not nearly as nice as a lot of other cities of similar size across America. It's not #12, or even in the top 100 in America, if you ask me.

How could the city with the highest number of fast food restaurants per capita in the country be in the top 12 vacation destinations?

I would think that the credibility of such a publication should be called into question for such a blunder.

According to Frommer's, Portland is "A university town (Bowdoin and U Maine) and burgeoning retirement location, Portland has a fantastic mix of culture and education," according to the statement released by the guidebooks company. The statement also praised "an impressive amount of first-rate restaurants," citing Fore Street by name and noting that others are mentioned regularly in Gourmet magazine's list of top restaurants.
A bit of the description gets lost in translation, however, as it cites the excellent indoor farmers' market -- an apparent reference to the now-defunct Portland Public Market -- and a jogging trail that "stretches to nearby Brunswick.

Since when is UMaine in Portland? Or Bowdoin? Portland, a retirement destination? 30-mile jogging trail? How about the Grand Canyon? Didn't they see our Gateway Arch? This rating is based on lies and deception.

The description doesn't make any sense to anyone who has spent any time in Portland, Maine.

For crying out loud. The list doesn't even name DisneyWorld

Arthur Fink of Peaks Island, ME
Nov 29, 2006 9:49 AM

If they spelled our name right (and they did), we won.

Sue of Liverpool, NY
Nov 29, 2006 9:40 AM
I am saddened to hear the negative comments about Portland. Get out and visit other cities in the US. You will be glad to come back to see Portland. You have a magnificient city. I always feel lucky to visit and stay as long as possible in the area.

Joe of Lewiston, ME
Nov 29, 2006 9:37 AM
Isn't Bowdoin in Brunswick? Odd. Frommers needs to learn their Maine geography better.

PD of Portland, Me
Nov 29, 2006 9:22 AM
I think you will see a correction made from Frommers. They obviously missed a number in the front or the rear of their ranking. Imagine that they included Portland,Ore. they have 3 Hooter's and probably atleast 1 other chain, Ashville,NC, they have 1 Hooter's and possibly another chain and Minneapolis,MN, surprise they too have a hooters and maybe, not sure another chain.How are they on this list. FYI....SUE E Q, the days of Mayberry RFD are over. I am a local store owner and I am supported by locals, however the taxes from the state along with CMP bills, price of fuel as well as local taxes, makes it nearly impossible to turn a profit. So when you open up your local small business, let us all know soo we can come and see the smile on your face everyday and tell us how wonderful it is to be a small business owner in Maine. I wish you luck....sort of

Warren of Waldo, me
Nov 29, 2006 8:49 AM
Sue,

How blantantly arrogant and hypocritical of you.

I would venture a guess anyone who is so blind as to think our current State government is benificial to the working men and women of Maine, must be either on welfare or a State employee.

I'd also venture a guess that you, like all of us, shop at those nasty chain stores from time to time.

Finally, I can assure you that NOT having a Hooters in Portland in no way influenced Frommers decision.

You should consider getting back in touch with reality.

Jess of Cape Elizabeth, ME
Nov 29, 2006 8:38 AM
Thanks Frommer's. We knew it all along. Maybe soon we'll go ahead and take the #1 spot? :)

Thomas of Portland, ME
Nov 29, 2006 8:20 AM
Sue, you're forgetting that people who go to Hooters don't generally have passports. (One doesn't need a passport to vacation at Loudon). So Frommer's wouldn't need to qualify their rankings with a line about "but no Hooters, sadly".

hahaha of Standish, Me
Nov 29, 2006 8:14 AM
Right on Sue. I can't wait to read the comments on the new teachers contract article. The same people crying for vouchers for religious schools yesterday will be complaining that the greedy teachers union has done it again. How dare public school teachers expect fair compensation! And the "talking heads" do listen to someone else, Fox News. That's the problem.

Frank of Jay, ME
Nov 29, 2006 8:03 AM
Run quickly to your local stores and support Sue, while she creates 'growth' and new jobs for all those who aren't listening to themselves. But you better watch out for the ghost of HOOTERS if you're a 'Talking Head' or a 'learning disabled' person - according to Sue.

Rob Tabor of Portland, ME
Nov 29, 2006 7:49 AM
What kind of weed are the employees at Frommer's smoking? Don't get me wrong, I live in Portland and think it is nice but to rank it 12th in the world? Come on. I guess Frommer's hasn't had a chance to interview our soviet style representation in Portland or the half baked fiddler who stands outside the Nickelodeon and shames us all. So let's see. Portland is above, New York? Chicago? San Fran? Las Vegas? Just don't buy it. I think Frommer's may have shopped around position 12 and Portland offered more than other cities, who could care less if they are on this list.

Sue of Portland, ME
Nov 29, 2006 7:27 AM
It's unlikely this will shut up the 'Talking Heads' and their usual blather about how bad things are in Maine and what victims they are of our own government; folks like that are learning disabled and are never listening to anyone but themselves.

But this article is an excellent example of how Portland's City Council acted wisely on Hooters and is evidence that it's a mistake to think national franchise businesses are healthy 'growth' for a community. Businesses like that clearly do not create new jobs: they just take them from healthy local businesses.

Just think how good Maine's economy would be if everyone supported their local stores.

Some interesting replies to that story. There seems to be little gray area between the people who hate portland and the people who love it.

Panel recommends $250 million bond for R&D funding
By SUSAN M. COVER, Blethen Maine News Service

Friday, December 1, 2006

AUGUSTA - A legislative committee took what it called a bold move Thursday when members decided to recommend a $250 million bond over five years to support research and development projects across the state.
The committee, a mix of Republicans and Democrats with varying backgrounds, spent months studying the state's investment in new and emerging technology and decided the state needed to take an aggressive step.
Research and development, or R&D, is a term that covers a wide array of public and private economic activity, from biomedical research to organic farming.
Investing state money that brings in federal and private money makes it easier for businesses to create new products and services to better compete in a global economy, said Rep. Nancy Smith, D-Monmouth, a member of the special committee that was appointed to study the issue in the past session.
"The Maine economy has to keep innovating," she said. "It has to change to respond to the world business climate."
Successful companies can employ more people and pay better wages, she said.
Committee members said they realize that there will be competing demands for bond money for transportation, higher education, affordable housing and the environment.
Gov. John Baldacci supports the idea of investing money in research and development but isn't ready to talk about specific amounts, said his spokeswoman, Crystal Canney. "The governor certainly supports an R&D bond package," she said.
Canney said Baldacci will announce next week the formation of a committee to study a report from the Brookings Institution, which recommended that the state invest more money in research and development.
Rep. Patrick Flood, R-Winthrop, said he wants to make sure voters realize that their aim is to borrow $50 million a year for five years.
"We need to think about not only our boldness, but the public's willingness to go along with our boldness," he said.
Before the question ever gets before voters, it will be vetted by a legislative committee and must be approved by two-thirds of the House and Senate. That's why it's a good idea to start by taking a big step, said Sen. Lynn Bromley, D-South Portland.
"Things don't get more bold as they make their way through the legislative process," she said. "It's highly likely it will be amended."
Republican and Democratic leaders said the proposal will be one of many requests for money that will come forward in the coming weeks.
Senate Minority Leader Carol Weston, R-Montville, said bonds must be weighed within the larger context of the state budget and revenue.
She said roads, bridges and community colleges need to be considered as well.
"When you add up all those requests and look at revenues and expenses, there's a lot to be done," she said.

TRAGEDY AT CHRISTMAS PARADE
9 year old boy killed in holiday parade accident

By Elizabeth Dinan
edinan@seacoastonline.com

PORTSMOUTH-A 9-year-old boy was killed last night after falling from a holiday parade float, which then ran him over.

Police Chief Michael Magnant called the fatality ?a terrible tragedy? and is asking witnesses to call the department?s detective division at 610-7531.

The accident occurred at about 6:15 p.m., just as the annual parade was starting.

James Collins, a cook at the Bread Box, told the Herald he witnessed the tragedy while on a cigarette break in front of the Islington St. restaurant. Collins said the boy was seated along the side of the parade float - a decorated flatbed trailer pulled by a red Chevrolet pickup truck - with his feet dangling from the side. The float had no railing and featured a banner reading, ?Daniel Webster Council, Scouting for Food, Boy Scouts Pack 166.?

According to a Greenland Public Library newsletter, Pack 166 is affiliated with the Greenland Community Church.

Collins said the trailer appeared to hit a bump in the road and speculated it may have been some unfinished road work at a nearby fire hydrant. The bump caused the boy to fall from the trailer and into the path of a pair of the trailer?s wheels, which ran over the youth?s midsection, said Collins.

The eyewitness said the boy appeared ?calm? and had his eyes closed until an ambulance arrived. Collins estimated the ambulance response time to the congested scene at about 20 minutes.

The scout float then continued with the rest of the parade along Islington St., onto Congress St. and into Market Square, where it was pulled over and detained by police.

In a statement published early Sunday morning, Chief Magnant announced the unidentified boy had died at the hospital as a result of his injuries. The police chief said the boy?s parents were notified and the 15-20 other scouts riding on the parade float were counseled by a critical incident specialist and the police department?s chaplin.

"As a police department, as a community, our hearts are broken," Chief Magnant said.

The fatal accident remains under investigation and more details are expected Monday, said the police chief.

Maine girl seriously injured after falling from Christmas float

FREEPORT, Maine (AP) -- A 3-year-old girl who fell from a float during a Christmas parade was in serious but stable condition Saturday after undergoing surgery following the accident.

Police said the float was carrying a group of about 20 children from a day care center in Pownal as part of Freeport's Sparkle Week Parade on Friday night. The girl's father was walking next to the float, and she apparently lunged at him in excitement when she fell.

The rear wheels of the trailer's dual axle ran over the child after her fall, police said.

She was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland with a broken pelvis and serious internal injuries. Police were not releasing the girl's name Saturday afternoon.

Parade organizers are considering safety changes for the parade in the future.

From The Bollard. Some hope after all for the city

Briefs
Written and compiled by Chris Busby

December 8, 2006

Formula limits will likely be rescinded, studied
City Councilor Ed Suslovic intends to introduce an order to rescind the controversial limits on formula businesses enacted by the Council last month. [See "Hooters halted, Dunkin' danglin'."] His proposal will call for the formation of a group to study the impact of franchise business and other factors affecting the economic health of downtown. This group would then present the Council with recommendations that could include limiting chain business.

This action would effectively reverse the law passed by the previous Council, which imposed sweeping restrictions and then called for a group to be formed to study the issue after-the-fact. That law passed by a 5-4 vote, but the Council now has two new members, Dave Marshall and Kevin Donoghue, who favor the study-first approach to this issue. In addition to Suslovic, Councilor Cheryl Leeman and Councilor Jim Cohen both supported this approach last month, and are likely to endorse the new order, giving its supporters the five votes necessary for passage.

Suslovic's order would be given a first reading on Dec. 18, followed by a second reading and vote at the Council's first meeting of 2007.

great, they should have never passed that stupid law. because now that it is going bye-bye again, every chain in America that ever wanted to do business here in the future is going to rush into it so that they dont get locked out in the future. talk about a backfire potential. They'll wanna get here so fast they'll prob ride the wind tunnels right down frank art from 295.

And shouldnt you be at grittys at this hour on a friday? see u there. p.s. i drank from your cup. they let me, i asked politely. not bad.

Back