Northern New England News

I'm sure they realized you were a fraud when you asked if it could be filled up with Mikey's Malt Liquor.

I'm just hoping that The Keg Steakhouse will still come here if that ban is turned around. That is a huge part of the Custom House addition and it will add the only real big fun spot in the Old Port. We have 200 restaurants but 150 have like ten tables. I really just want a new place down there that is different. I'm not a chain guy but this is supposed to be like Outback with better steaks and cheaper prices.

http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/

No, No, No, I asked them to fill it with zima...light. then I refilled it with smirnoff rasberry ale.

Is the keg place really going into cut house warf? I thought they said that one would be exempt b/c has under 30 locations. ?

They actually sent a letter again to the city council before that final vote on the ban on chains. I think under the current rules they can't. Overturned and they can. Be a huge loss since they were ready to sign a letter of intent. They put like 2-4 million into each restaurant they open. Yeah, I know, low paying jobs. I'll take a night's pay of any waitress there.

grittys457 said:
They actually sent a letter again to the city council before that final vote on the ban on chains. I think under the current rules they can't. Overturned and they can. Be a huge loss since they were ready to sign a letter of intent. They put like 2-4 million into each restaurant they open. Yeah, I know, low paying jobs. I'll take a night's pay of any waitress there.

hahahhaa no kidding, they make bank

the business community has the final say. Franklin towers were built at the impetus of the bus. community, so was one city center, and so was the lincoln square project (sunk, though)./ but they always handle business 8)

Maine and NH are the fastest growing states n New England, according to a recent study. NH has grown at a rate twice that of Maine.

Region's growth rate slower than nation's

E-mail this page Reader Comments (below)
Associated Press ? Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wednesday, December 27, 2006

BOSTON - New England's population continues to grow at a much slower rate than the United States' population as a whole.
The population of the six-state region grew by just 0.2 percent from July 2005 to July of this year, compared with a growth rate of 1 percent for the nation, according to recently released annual Census Bureau data.
New England's population rose from 14.24 million to 14.27 million, while the nation went from 296.4 million people to 299.4 million.
New England's population growth has long trailed the nation's, as more people have headed toward the Southwest and other regions that offer warmer climates, lower living costs and more plentiful jobs.
Annual population growth averaged 1.3 percent nationwide over the past half-century, compared with 0.8 percent for New England, according to an October report by the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston's New England Public Policy Center.
The gap widened during the past year as each of the six New England states posted growth rates slower than the nation's 1 percent.
But the outcomes varied from state to state:
nMassachusetts, which is New England's most populous state, posted a tiny gain in population after losing people in the two previous years -- a decline that gave the Bay State the dubious distinction of being the only state with two straight years of declining population in 2004 and 2005.
Over the past year, Massachusetts added 3,826 people for a gain of 0.1 percent, leaving the population at 6.437 million, 13th largest in the nation.
nRhode Island lost population for the second year in a row, with a decline of 5,969 people, 0.6 percent, compared with a 0.3 percent decline in the previous year.
Rhode Island was one of just four states and the District of Columbia to lose population over the past year, but it held onto its ranking as the 43rd most populous state, with 1.068 million people.
nConnecticut inched ahead with a growth rate of 0.1 percent, adding 4,108 people for a population of 3.505 million (No. 29).
nMaine posted population growth of 0.3 percent, adding 3,354 people for a population of 1.322 million (No. 40).
nNew Hampshire has enjoyed stronger population growth than the rest of New England in recent years, and the pattern repeated itself last year.
The Granite State added 8,076 people, for a growth rate of 0.6 percent, and a population of 1.315 million (No. 41).
nVermont posted a gain of 0.2 percent, adding 1,521 people, for a population of 623,908 (No. 49).
Among all states, Arizona was the population growth leader, with a growth rate of 3.6 percent in the past year.
It was followed by Nevada, Idaho, Georgia and Texas.
New England is expected to continue lagging the nation's population growth in coming years.
The New England Economic Partnership, a nonprofit forecast organization, projected last month that the region's population would average just half of the nation's 1 percent annual average growth rate through 2010.
New Hampshire is expected to continue posting the region's fastest population growth during that period, with Massachusetts seeing the slowest growth.

Reader comments

Doug Watts of Augusta, ME
Dec 27, 2006 8:33 AM
Crabgrass grows fast. Oaks grow slow. Which stays around longer and gets to be 150 feet high? Howard is right on. Thanks, Howard !!! You made my morning.

To the PPH -- this story automatically equates "fast growth" as "good" and slow growth as "bad." That is a reporter's bias and has no factual, objective foundation. The PPH should be very careful about letting such subjective biases creep into its news stories as if they were unquestioned "wisdom." As Howard's comment vividly demonstrates, these biases are just biases -- nothing more, nothing less.

James S. of Cumberland, ME
Dec 27, 2006 7:50 AM
It's the Allen's Coffee Brandy, Howard!
It just doesn't taste the same once you leave the Pine Tree State.....

Howard of Biddeford, Me
Dec 27, 2006 7:33 AM
This story will probably elicit the usual comments about the governor, our tax structure, and whining about all our young people leaving the state.
The reality is that retirees and baby boomers are leaving Maine or choosing to live here part time primarily because of the weather factor.
Younger people have been leaving Maine for years to find a future away from the observing eye of their elders. What is new is never before have our seniors migrated in such numbers to warmer climes. Florida has whole colonies of New Englanders, so does Arizona and now the Carolinas and Georgia.
And who can blame them? It is only us stubborn fools that would rather sit here in Maine and shovel snow and watch the oil tank empty. Instead of playing golf, wearing shorts, and keeping our finances intact.
Maybe it's the beauty of a fresh fallen snow. Maybe it's having the peace of far less traffic to fight each day, or a walk on a near deserted beach. Maine has it's nuances and money isn't everything.

Sarah of Freeport, ME
Dec 27, 2006 7:20 AM
Didn't Baldacci just say that Maine was one of the "fastest growing states?" What the heck was he talking about? Of course he didn't name a source for his information, so we are left to wonder.

The sad part is that NH is the fastest growing in the Northeast, I think, and yet placed #30th in the country. Rhode Island lost more people than any state except Louisiana in the wake of Hurricane Katrina!

Smuttynose said:
The sad part is that NH is the fastest growing in the Northeast, I think, and yet placed #30th in the country. Rhode Island lost more people than any state except Louisiana in the wake of Hurricane Katrina!

There really are not that many people in any of the northern new england states, which combined total something like 3,200,000 people. Maine and NH both account for about 1,300,000 each, with VT picking up the remainder (600,000). But, what needs to be looked at more closely is the population around urban cores. Manchester-Nashua area anchors about 1 million people. the other 300,000 people are up north and disbursed throughout the rest of the state. I heard it just the other day, there are 1 mill in So. NH, which means the rest of the state is essentially nothing but trees. The same things goes for Vermont and Maine, particularly Maine. In VT burlington has about 200,000 people around it, with a state population of 600,000, so it takes up about a third. And both VT and NH are small states in terms of land size. But then you get half of Maine's population (622,000) centered in a little strip of land stretching from biddeford through portland and up to lewiston (an hour's drive) and the rest of the gigantic state is left over for trees, mountains, fields and cows. To get a more accurate picture, imagine all of the population of the state of Vermont crammed into about 1/10 of the size it is now and you have greater portland. Imagine doubling it and you have southern NH.

These statewide statistics are always so misleading. Apparently, Maine is the least diverse of all the 50 states, has the oldest and whitest population, and the highest taxes around.

Yet Portland has the largest Sudanese immigrant population of any city in the country, it pulls well over its own weight in terms of jobs per person, and has a college town character. No one gets this impression from the stats on Maine, though. We should seriously become a state on our own.

What I can't stand are all these people having a celebration about New England trailing the country in growth. One guy (who posted after Patrick copied the article) even went as far as to say that New England should secede from the rest of the country! These people should be careful what they wish for because economic decline, rising unemployment, and an aging population all at the same time will be way worse than some young family building a house in the middle of your pretty views, and if you can't stand the sprawl, encourage the town to make lot sizes smaller and more dense and make the developers pay a little bit more for school and infrastructure costs. This current lack of smart planning and NIMBYism seems to be choking all 6 states at once.

Old Port can have vibrant, safe night life
By Erica Schmitz Portland Press Herald Thursday, December 28, 2006

About the Author
Erica Schmitz is coordinator of 21 Reasons, a coalition to support the drug-free development of all Portland youth (www.21reasons.org).

During the past eight months, it was my honor to serve on the mayor's Old Port Night Life Task Force, charged with developing recommendations for improving and maintaining public safety in the city's entertainment district.
One of our primary tasks -- and the one that has received the most media attention -- was to figure out how to pay for the cost of policing the area. But our overall discussion and final recommendations revolved around a much larger question: How can we prevent problems from happening in the first place?
What we came up with is a list of suggestions that is straightforward, comprehensive, and most importantly -- preventive. These strategies can be boiled down to three key points:
n?Many problems can be avoided through basic planning and design.
In a recent study of 40 cities nationwide, author and retired police lieutenant John Thayer concluded: "Effective entertainment-district policing begins at the district planning and design stage by engineering out features that create demands for police resources."
According to Thayer, effective planning includes avoiding over-concentration of nightclubs and bars as well as sufficient lighting, adequate parking, safe access, plenty of sidewalk space, and public transportation.
In Portland, we have seen these strategies begin to work on Wharf Street, where property owners have taken steps to diversify businesses and improve outdoor lighting. The Task Force is requesting additional physical improvements to further protect public safety.
n?We can't ignore density.
One of the draws of an entertainment district is that patrons can have a choice of places to go, all within walking distance of each other. However, to protect public safety, we must be careful to require enough distance between bars.
Place two bars right next to each other, and no matter how responsibly and conscientiously they are managed, there are going to be more problems than if they were spaced farther apart.
Crime statistics from the Portland Police Department clearly illustrate this. As alcohol outlet density goes up in a community, so do crime, violence and motor vehicle crashes.
The Task Force is recommending a minimum 100-foot door-to-door distance between new bars and nightclubs in the district, which would allow approximately two per block.
My organization recommends a minimum 150-foot distance, allowing fewer than two per block. The goal is to allow as much breathing room as possible between establishments while maintaining walkability.
Existing businesses are not affected, because they are grandfathered in. The dispersement requirement is being tied to entertainment licenses so that restaurants will not be affected. This is because research shows that the density of restaurants is associated with lower rates of reported assaults, while density of bars is associated with higher rates of assaults.
n?A party is all about atmosphere -- and we are the hosts.
We must pay attention to the general atmosphere we're creating in the Old Port. This includes having clear proactive communication and expectations for behavior among all involved -- including bar management, patrons and police.
The Responsible Bar Management Guidelines recently adopted by the Portland Downtown District's Nightlife Oversight Committee lists 29 best practices, from requiring server training to eliminating the aggressive term "bouncer," along with a ban on serving pitchers or shot trays at last call.
As one of our city's greatest assets, the Old Port deserves our care and attention, investment and protection. This includes much more than police coverage. It means paying attention to way we plan and design the physical environment and creating an atmosphere that promotes fun and safety.
The Old Port Night Life Task Force's recommendations provide solid recommendations to make all that a reality.
- Special to the Press Herald

Reader comments

Bob of Portland, ME
Dec 28, 2006 12:32 PM
Dr. Phil, your philosophy is one that lacks any conviction and relevance to this news worthy topic.
Sorry to say Phil, but you lack the facts.
Your tired old argument is nothing more than a solid gust of wind blowing out to sea.
Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with some basic analytical skills rather than "tar and feathering" Ms. Schmitz and her efforts to help make the city you live in a safer place to live.
You should really look up the definition of "teetotaller". Someone's individual choice not to drink intoxicating beverages has little to do with an attempt to increase safety by decreasing the number of bars within specific distances of each other. I think you are confusing it with the term "prohibition".

No one has said anything about closing any bars that are currently in operation.

Again...the factual information escapes your argument.

Thank you Ms. Schmitz for you and your organization.

Dr. Phil of Portland, ME
Dec 28, 2006 10:17 AM
Whoever got the idea that the distance between bars in the old port is significant? An equally convincing argument could be made that doing the opposite, consolidating alcohol serving establishments into one area, would better serve the safety and security needs of the public. It is usually only teetotalling "advocates" who mention distance between bar establishments, because getting their idea incorporated into zoning ordinances would be a way to limit bars which is what they want. It should be noted that according to the URL (21reasons.org) author Erica Schmitz appears to be under drinking age herself and fronts a teetotaller organization.

My comment, not yet posted:

The distance between bars has nothing to do with the safety of an area, and the statistic from which that conclusion was drawn is misleading, for obvious reasons. Say there is a bar that on average handles 50 people per night. and then say there are two smaller bars that both handle 24 people per night, each. Requiring a 100 foot buffer land in between bars would be unreasonable because in the end, you have 48 people separated by 100 feet, and then another 100 feet away you have 50 people in the same spot. This is ridiculous. It will not have any "for sure" effect on density. there will just become a few "popular spots" and people will frequent them more often. Thus making things worse. Clustering, however, allows police to pursue a more active approach in a narrowed area, so that a fight on wharf street does not detract from policing efforts on Fore or Middle. Put them all on wharf, which is essentially only an alley anyway, and keep cops every 100 feet, not bars.

Or, more cheaply, just behave yourselves, people, its really not that hard. I have never, not once, been in a fist fight in the old port, even though I have been approached by many inebriated youngsters looking tough and snarling in my direction. I use the brain God gave me and ignore it.

I also think the idea of spreading out bars across the city is quite dumb; it will just spread the drunks and troublemakers to other parts of the city. I heard a few months ago on these boards that Burlington, Vt doesn't have a curfew on when bars should close- maybe Portland could try something like this? Also, I think Chitwood left a bad legacy on the Portland Police Department with all the allegations of brutality that went on. My dad was recently arrested (and tackled to the sidewalk and sprayed with mace) on Fore Street after asking "what's going on" when they were interrogating one of his friends. The lawyer my parents hired said brutality incidents dropped immediately after Chitwood left but now they are beginning to rise.

Burlington does have a curfew, its just later than ours. Its 2am to be specific. I went to college there.

They also dont have any trouble because it is a town, not a city, and as such draws mostly townies, who like to drink and relax, not act all tough and make up for their down and dirty apartment by rough housing. In portland you look at someone wrong and you get punched, in burlington you snarl at someone and they run. there is the occasional big beefy university hockey player who gets hammered and thinks he is from the hood and starts mouthing off, which leads to the inevitable shouting match, posturing, etc, which is all big drama with everyone involved, and then it either gets broken up or there is a realization of some sort of a "misunderstanding" after which it is all hugs and "peace bros" and "you know me, man, i would never..." etc etc etc amongst all the tears.

the PPD is rough, i agree. my sister, who is a loud mouth in her own right, wild celtic woman, essentially, was thrown around and hit by cops when she was younger. we hired a lawyer too. no luck.

I was handled pretty rough when i was arrested too, i was 14, pants sagging, arrested on criminal trespassing.

but i thought of something that my Dad taught me: always stay out of trouble, and when it comes looking for you in the form of an event involving the police, it should always be "yes sir, no sir, ok sir" following the introductory phrase of "good evening officer, how are you tonight?"

Believe me it works.

I was pulled over in an unregistered, uninsured, uninspected car, for running a red light, and I had had several beers and a mix drink, and I was extremely polite, almost to the point of ass kissing, and I was let go after a routine drunkeness test with the pen they make you follow with you eyes. I also turned the radio to 106.3--W-bach, the classical station. that helps :lol:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/061229massabesic.html?com_sent=1

The SAT is not all it is cracked up to be. I took it, twice, and received scores just above average. Yet I got into a top-100 school, off of the wait list, and graduated with excellent marks. So, for one, it is not an accurate indication of potential to succeed. As has always been the case, hard work and good luck go hand in hand.

Second, college itself is overrated. I just graduated, and I worked construction all summer, began Law School, withdrew for personal reasons, and have been trying mostly unsuccessfully to land jobs I could have begun straight out of high school. Go to SMCC, learn a trade, and by the time you're twenty you'll be making 30 bucks an hour.

Or go to Harvard, study theater, or modern world dance, or basket weaving, and then when you graduate, million dollar tuition bill in hand, you will be well equipped with trivial facts to dominate any conversation you want, but youll have to do better than that at xyz company, which is looking for experience (built from the ground up, after high school, skipping the college experience altogether) or technical skills (SMCC). You will no doubt make good friends with your interviewer, but you wont land a job. at least you can dance in folk style all the way back to the car you can now no longer afford to gas up while weaving a basket and reciting Macbeth.

Assisted-living out of Westbrook housing plan
By ANN S. KIM, Staff Writer Portland Press Herald Friday, December 29, 2006

A proposed retirement community that received a zoning change from the Westbrook City Council earlier this year no longer includes assisted-living apartments that were part of the original plan.
Sandy River Health Systems initially proposed an 80-unit assisted-living apartment building and about 90 cottages on 53 acres off Stroudwater Street. The site is next to Springbrook Nursing Care Center, a nursing home the company operates.
In February, the City Council changed the zone from rural, which prevents such dense developments.
The project, renamed Stroudwater Landing, now calls for a mix of single-family homes, duplexes and townhouses with a total of 114 units. It's still possible that assisted-living units will be built in a later phase of the project, said Daniel Maguire, one of the owners of Sandy River Health Systems.
The project goes before the Planning Board on Tuesday at a meeting scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. in Room 114 of Westbrook High School.
Another meeting to introduce the project to the public is scheduled Wednesday, one of the requirements for getting a permit from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the city's public safety building.
The development will be marketed to people who are 50 and older. The homes will range from roughly 1,300 square feet to 1,900 square feet and will start in the high $200,000s, Maguire said.
About half the buyers are expected to come from the Portland area, said John Pavan, a partner in Massachusetts-based The Northbridge Companies, the other party in the joint venture.
The homes, which would be built in clusters to create open spaces, are meant to appeal to people who want to downsize from a larger home, want something that requires less maintenance, or want to live in a community with others their age.
Snowbirds or others who own more than one home are another target group.
"When there's an assisted-living component to a community like this, it takes on a heavily senior feel as opposed to the younger age of the spectrum" that Stroudwater Landing is targeting, Pavan said. "Right now, we're thinking all for sale."
A clubhouse and walking paths that link to existing facilities are also part of the plan. The project also includes a road that will connect Stroudwater and Spring streets.
Councilor Suzanne Joyce was frustrated the plan didn't include the assisted-living apartment building.
"Clearly, it's not the same proposal, which is disappointing," she said.
Councilor John O'Hara Jr. said he was comfortable with the change because the assisted-living component hasn't been ruled out. He said residents were unlikely to put much pressure on city services but were likely to have a large amount of disposable income that could benefit the downtown. He also believed residents could serve as volunteers at a new junior high, which is proposed for an abutting property.
"All in all, it really can be a huge benefit to the community with very little negative effect," he said.
The developers estimate the project will generate $486,070 in property taxes annually. The project would involve $2.8 million of infrastructure improvements.
If the process moves smoothly, construction could begin in the summer and the first units would be available for sale by the end of 2007, Maguire said.
Staff Writer Ann S. Kim can be contacted at 791-6383 or at:
akim@pressherald.com

Reader comments

DP of Westbrook, Me
Dec 29, 2006 9:47 AM
Perhaps the city of Westbrook needs to start a development and build houses as many profits, on houses today, reach six figures. You are right LC and here we go again!

LC of portland, me
Dec 29, 2006 9:09 AM
Every time you see a story on new development the prices start at over $200,000!

Mark of Westbrook, ME
Dec 29, 2006 8:56 AM
You could see this coming a mile away....once the city council was asked to make this zoning change based on a "proposed project" but couldn't address said "proposed project". So here we now are with a much different proposal in front of the planning board. Who's to stop families from purchasing these properties and eating up all of the "estimated Property Taxes; in the form of school costs....which is nearly $10K per year per student. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this could easily turn into and expense for the city.

DP of Westbrook, Me
Dec 29, 2006 8:16 AM
It is disappointing and frustrating to see the possible outcome of this proposed development that shuns the assisted living apartments. This would be nice to have as those that age in this community development, will be able to move over to assisted living and remain with friends made. It seems that Westbrook gets taken on too many issues and the good heart or perhaps lack of good smarts leaves this city looking slightly foolish at times.The idea of tax money that doesn't have too many sevices is not all that should be considered!Living within our means should be a consideration for lower taxes.Just maybe, the bypass that will go through this development, might not make it attractive for some buyers!

Very interesting indeed! But when has Maine's average income climbed up to the national average? :?

I think that is just for greater portland, which is influenced and skewed toward a higher avergae by some of our wealthy suburbs, which have only a few people, but tons of earnins to spread around, statistically. the cape and parts of falmouth.

Parking in Portland poses barrier to development
Recently, while visiting my children in Portland for the holidays and returning from a lovely dinner at Chicky's Fine Diner, I was appalled to find that I had no place to park.
Each street had either one-hour parking or 15-minute parking. I called the police station, and a most unfriendly person on the other end of the phone told me she could not recommend a place in the city to park except for a parking garage.
So, here I am, down by the Portland Expo building, parking at a garage where? In a city at night and walking to where I am staying?
How safe is this for someone visiting, let alone someone living in your city?
For years, I have visited Portland, and I must say that the parking situation is becoming exasperating and ridiculous.
If Portland touts becoming a second Boston, then realistically, the city must start looking at some of the issues it has to continue bringing people to the city.
By the way, if something happened to me while walking from a parking garage from the upper end of the city, I hope that lovely lady at the police station would feel proud for her helpful response to my call.
Charlotte Manley
Conway, N.H.

Back