Novartis Campus | 181-211 Mass Ave, 22 Windsor Street | Kendall Square | Cambridge

Re: Novartis Expansion

Nice! Great to see progress being made. Thanks for the update!

The size of the site is amazing.

Tower crane footings:

Internal braces in place. Excavation in progress in the SW corner and the East side of the site.

Norvartis Complex 12/6

So does anyone know why every Kendal Sq project uses these pipe braces when building their foundations and Boston doesn't? It seems like an exclusively Kendal Sq thing.

these footprints and holes are gigantic for these buildings. walked by the other day.

The Mandarin Oriental had those braces, 45 Province had them, and I think the W had them as well...

The place behind the Lenox has a few, too. I've always wondered if their use was related to the type of foundation or not.

They've erected one tower crane and it looks like they're pouring footings for two more. They're still excavating most of the site. On Mass Ave they set up a community art gallery under the protective walkway. It highlights works from the local community.

Jesus I never knew how big the footprint of this building was...must be the size of a football field!

Jesus I never knew how big the footprint of this building was...must be the size of a football field!
Just over 4 acres of excavation is what I was told last week. 2 levels down on half and 3 levels down on the other half. There is a tri-gen plant going into this project soon I believe in the 2 level area.

That's some serious size...what's a tri-gen plant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeneration

Very similar to a co-gen plant but using the waste heat(energy) for heating/cooling.

Normal co-gen will create steam and electricity. I like them underground like this too. Did one down ate Yale that came out pretty unobtrusive.
SterlingPP.jpg

^^thanks...I didn't even realize you were talking about a power plant. I just heard __gen, referring to biotechnology and immediately started thinking of Jurassic Park.

They're planning to put up a third crane in the coming months. A decent amount of the foundation has been poured. Although I'm sure the weather will slow the progress down .

they were working on the 2nd crane last Saturday when I walked by. No one working there this morning :) And worse, Flour was (not unexpectedly) closed.

Back