Novartis Campus | 181-211 Mass Ave, 22 Windsor Street | Kendall Square | Cambridge

Re: Novartis Expansion

539w.jpg

Cambridge gave her a thumbs up. As if there was any doubt.

Clad in glass, terra cotta, and granite, the complex will also include retail shops to fill in a large hole in the commercial strip along Massachusetts Avenue, as well as a 1.35-acre park adjacent to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Lin’s concept is a building that gradually rises along Massachusetts Avenue, with a main entry and an interior courtyard filled with trees and meandering pathways.

Novartis has already begun site work on the property and expects to complete the complex in 2015.
The facade of her building on Massachusetts Avenue will be covered with the same type of light-gray granite that was used to construct Quincy Market at Faneuil Hall and many of the bridges in the area.
A second building in the new complex will be eight stories and was designed by New York architect Toshiko Mori. In addition to other large commercial projects across the country, she has designed exhibits for the Museum of Modern Art in New York and other cultural institutions. Mori’s building will be made of glass and terra cotta and will feature a visible diagonal staircase that ascends along the front of the building, as well as five “micro atriums’’ that will serve as gathering spaces for Novartis scientists.
The overall architect of record for the project is Cannon Design of Boston, which incorporated Mori’s and Lin’s designs into the broader concept for the complex and completed the engineering.

The Mori building will serve as a backdrop for a 1.35-acre courtyard by Michael Van Valkenburgh, a landscape architect
http://www.boston.com/business/heal...vartis_mixing_art_with_science/?p1=News_links

Sounds like a good team. This looks like it could be very interesting.

For posterity's sake:

edited181_mass_ave.jpg

edited22_osborn.jpg

This is looking north up Mass Ave:

edited111207novartis0078.jpg

Wait...they want more height and less parking? Am I reading that correctly?

Overall it looks pretty cool. I'm waiting to see some bigger pics before I pass judgement though.

All loading and waste processing functions will take place in an internal loading dock area sheltered from street view. The entrance for these loading docks is on State Street. This will concentrate all NIBRI operations in one internalized area thus mitigating the view and noise that come from these operations.

They actually want a nice complex which is a good neighbor to MIT, the street and the Cambridge Community -- there are lots of other examples in their filing (more bike storage in the basement than required, etc.) -- all of this is not suprising -- it is after both developer and user -- and it is afterall their Global R&D HQ

That is the first and foremost benefit of development by a developer with money and long-term interest in the project - the exact opposite of someone building on spec and planning to sell as soon as the leases are signed

This one looks promising. I'm not a fan of the campus configuration that's so popular with tech and bio companies, but this seems to be a deliberate, thoughtful and high quality design. I was initially a bit underwhelmed by the renderings showing the "diaphanous" stone curtain on the low-rise portion along Mass Ave, but its subtlety has quickly grown on me. It also appears that this building will do a good job activating its Mass Ave portion.

novartis_mass_ave_render.jpg

What do you guys think about the amount of green space planned?

I like the campus feel and that they've chosen to not build a single giant building. However, 50% of the new campus is a sloping courtyard.

I'm a fan of courtyards if done right. For an area with such little open space it might be nice.

This is one of those designs that works or fails based on the type of glass they use...

Renderings look great...

This is one of those designs that works or fails based on the type of glass they use...

Renderings look great...

I think the fact that they went to an architect like this, and have truly put an effort into getting a good design means they're not going to cheap out on the materials.

I hope that's the case, at least.

I think the fact that they went to an architect like this, and have truly put an effort into getting a good design means they're not going to cheap out on the materials.

I hope that's the case, at least.

Tmac -- this is the front yard (curb apeal view) of the R&D of one of the largest Pharma companies in the world with something like $25B in cash

They want this to be appealing to some bright young (or middle aged senior staff) brainy person which they are trying to recruit to work for them

If they do anything dumb it will because the architect that they've hired convinces them to do the dumb thing -- the company is going first class all the way

Their current HQ has beautiful high quality bamboo flooring and these really cool glass bubble videoconferencing pods throughout (I've toured it). I'd imagine the finishes on this new campus would be very nice as well.

I wonder is Maya Lin designing the entire building? Or are her efforst just focused on the wrapping facade? That seems more her bailiwick.

Also that courtyard is rubber stamp MVVA. No doubt it will be a great space to be in--the planting is masterful and the renderings do a good job of expressing how the vegetation will condition and nuance the spaces, but the forms in plan (like so many MVVA projects) looks lazy and, frankly, dumb. Blobby and meanders, without the renderings I would guess this was done by some mom and pop landscape design build. I respect Michael Van Valkenburgh so much, but I just can't square that the same office is producing these blobby non-critical plans as did the more rigorous stuff of the 80s and 90s.

I feel like this certainly might have an effect on expansion...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/13/news/companies/novartis_jobs/

Also, there was a recent voluntary recall on Excedrin, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't too a Novartis drug?

Novartis has over 100,000 employees. The Cambridge and Boston facilities are for R&D, which is not an area that Novartis is cutting.

With respect to Excedrin, the answer is 'yes'.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-excedrin-bufferin-due-to-broken-tablets.html

Back