Nubian Sq. Parcel P-3 (nee Tremont Crossing) | Roxbury

HYM renders

1665632439512.png

hymparcelp3-2.jpg

The HYM and My City at Peace project would include more than 620,000 square feet of life sciences space and more than 300 housing units.

It would include a 31,000-square-foot space for the Boston-based nonprofit King Boston, a museum, gallery and policy forum advertised by the development team as the project's beating heart.

A plaza is meant to blur the boundary between the new development and the adjacent Whittier Choice housing project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2022/10/04/hym-scores-key-ok-develop-roxbury-p3-parcel.html

Yet another super block. It needs a street
To what purpose would you include a street? There is no part of the road grid for which it could connect, other than as a cut through from Columbus to Whittier. I don't see a need for that. There are pedestrian passages and plazas in this design that do the work of breaking up the building massing. The overall footprint looks fine to me, for the constraints of the space.

^^It would have been great to keep that structure in the mix somehow. I hope they have an option on the Good Shepherd Church property, that building deff doesn't need to stay.

A revitalization of this area was planned for several times, then got scrubbed. I wonder if this one is a sure thing, or is it just another pipe dream. Seems that Nubian Sq. is always the last place to get stuff. :( :unsure:

I think Boston Public Schools should take advantage of this site to build a new O'Bryant school/ campus with multiple structures instead of renovating the old one on Malcolm Blvd. It was an interesting building for its time (1983?) but not energy efficient and difficult to renovate with the existing concrete wall structure as well as being occupied. It would still be connected to the sports fields in the back and Malcolm Blvd could be built up with mixed use buildings with housing and businesses.

I think Boston Public Schools should take advantage of this site to build a new O'Bryant school/ campus with multiple structures instead of renovating the old one on Malcolm Blvd. It was an interesting building for its time (1983?) but not energy efficient and difficult to renovate with the existing concrete wall structure as well as being occupied. It would still be connected to the sports fields in the back and Malcolm Blvd could be built up with mixed use buildings with housing and businesses.
For Boston public schools standards, a 40-year-old building is practically brand new.

After ‘The Embrace,’ Boston to see two more memorials to MLK and Coretta Scott King
1680359586681.jpeg

“Plans are underway for Boston to build a second memorial, housed at the forthcoming Embrace Center in Roxbury, and a heritage trail that takes participants on a tour through the sites that defined the duo’s time in the city.

The two projects showcase a continued commitment to cementing the Kings’ legacy in Boston, an effort to recognize grassroots organizing work — by them and other Black residents — that has been overlooked in a city with a historic reputation for racism.

The 31,000-square-foot Embrace Center in Roxbury will offer performance, gallery, and community space. The center is being built by the same group that commissioned the $10 million sculpture on Boston Common, and is seen as an effort to celebrate the Kings in the same neighborhood where King preached.

Another memorial is slated to be built within the Roxbury center, though it has not been designed and an artist has not been commissioned for the project. Embrace Boston has raised private donations for the Boston Common monument as well as the center, though it’s unclear how much the finished project will cost.

The Embrace Center will offer a physical hub where people can organize around public policy issues ranging from housing to the arts, just as the Kings did. The Rev. Willie Bodrick II, senior pastor of Twelfth Baptist Church, said, “The center can be a safe space to continue to push that conversation,” and in turn, further the Kings’ legacy.

The Embrace Center, and its accompanying memorial, are expected to open in late 2027 or early 2028.

In the meantime, plans are underway to create a heritage trail marking the Kings’ work in Boston. The sites have been researched by filmmaker and journalist Clennon King, who has sought to expand what’s known about the Kings’ years in Boston. (Clennon King isn’t related to the Kings, but his father, C.B. King, was a lawyer who represented King during the Albany Movement, a desegregation and voting rights alliance formed in Albany, Ga.)

Clennon King’s years-long research identified 21 addresses throughout Roxbury, West Roxbury, the South End, Dorchester, Beacon Hill, and the Back Bay. They range from more well-known sites like the State House, where King addressed a joint legislative session in 1965, to obscure ones like 187 Massachusetts Ave., where the couple had their first date at Sharaf’s Cafeteria.

Clennon King hopes the markers will take the form of medallions on public property such as sidewalks, so that they are not altered by developers or property owners. He worked with real estate developer Kamran Zahedi, former state representative Byron Rushing, and local historian Joel Mackall on the concept.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/03...ee-two-more-memorials-mlk-coretta-scott-king/

Awesome, cant wait until the day this hole in the street wall is finally filled.

There is a street in there, just not one built for cars (which, of course, makes it better).
In general, I agree with you about a street not for cars.
But streets are also visibly public spaces. Superblocks can so easily be privatized and not feel like a place open to the public--a real street that looks like a street can help ameliorate that. Or a private open to public passage thing that looks like a real street.

In general, I agree with you about a street not for cars.
But streets are also visibly public spaces. Superblocks can so easily be privatized and not feel like a place open to the public--a real street that looks like a street can help ameliorate that. Or a private open to public passage thing that looks like a real street.
The most visited place in Boston is Faneuil Hall. Its not a street. Thats part of its appeal. The same could be said of city squares all over the world. Streets are hostile to people.

Back